Best Motherboard for 13600k

sprunk

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey, So am putting together a new gaming build. I already picked up a 13600k and 16GB of DDR4 ram. Just stuck on which motherboard chipset to go with. Would there be much of a difference in performance going with a B760 board over a Z790?

Without knowing the budget and the rest of the system it's impossible to give a recommendation. In a vacuum, the "best motherboard for a 13600K" would be the Z790 Apex, but that's a $900 board at best, $1300+ if you get it from a scaler, and probably not gonna fit in your build. 

OK, so here is what I am planning for everything else.

13600K/16GB DDR4 Ram 3600mhz/4070ti/2tb Crucial p5 plus drive/Lian li lancool216/Seasonic 750w psu. Budget for motherboard would be under $250US.

19 minutes ago, sprunk said:

Budget for motherboard would be under $250US.

Z690 Steel Legend by Asrock and Z790 Prime lineup by Asus. If you wanna redline that budget you can also check Tomahawk Wifi by MSI (and its Pro cousin), and also the Gigabyte Aero. NZXT N5 would be an honorable mention but its a biostar OEM which means you also have to deal with biostar BIOS.

But of course, i have to throw caveat of the fact that overclocking 12th and 13th gen Intel is an absolute sucky endeavor even on ideal conditions of good cooler, good case airflow, and a contact frame. So only do it if you need power unlock so you can tweak it to go lower to achieve theoretical better power consumption. Which really by that point you really should consider AM5 instead, but of course with that you gonna need to go DDR5 which would considerably increase the platform cost.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

On 3/26/2023 at 3:15 PM, SorryClaire said:

Z690 Steel Legend by Asrock and Z790 Prime lineup by Asus. If you wanna redline that budget you can also check Tomahawk Wifi by MSI (and its Pro cousin), and also the Gigabyte Aero. NZXT N5 would be an honorable mention but its a biostar OEM which means you also have to deal with biostar BIOS.

But of course, i have to throw caveat of the fact that overclocking 12th and 13th gen Intel is an absolute sucky endeavor even on ideal conditions of good cooler, good case airflow, and a contact frame. So only do it if you need power unlock so you can tweak it to go lower to achieve theoretical better power consumption. Which really by that point you really should consider AM5 instead, but of course with that you gonna need to go DDR5 which would considerably increase the platform cost.

I ended up getting a ASUS Prime Z690 Board that was  on sale. Not sure if I am going to try and overclock it yet.