AB350M Gaming 3 Motherboard malfunctioned after a failed BIOS update

Hi all.

My 2017 computer now cannot be booted from my Windows 10 version on the SSD, whilst a backup version on my HDD is bootable under slug speed dues to its old age. I now have no idea how to recover the SSD version, as msconfig doesn't even show it, and I cannot access BIOS to even check it - as it returns a frozen screen.. Explanation below.

This happened because, I thought, my Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 Motherboard needed a proper BIOS update to use the current RAM amount correctly, as somehow with 16GB of RAM, the board only reports 8GB is used whilst still showing 16GB of it is fully installed. I was updating it from F4 to F31, before moving to F40. Hell broke loose from there after F31 was installed...

After flashing this BIOS version, a frozen BIOS screen stating Clear CMOS Config is done and I need to continue, only to realise the mouse & keyboard (wireless, connected to USB 3.0 and later switched to USB 2.0 again and again) couldn't function to let me continue, whilst the BIOS time kept running. Even after changing a new CMOS battery, resetting BIOS using Power+Reset buttons and multiple methods, either that "frozen" screen will show up with no way to click Continue (unless it needs a legacy-supported mouse with PS/2 port...) or the boot screen will show up, frozen instead.

If I somehow managed to boot into my Windows 10 HDD version, it runs slow as heck and all the previous datas I didn't migrate to the SSD remains, at least. And it still reports that the BIOS version is F4. This is not the Windows version I want to use, sadly... Is there any way to let me boot the SSD version again ?

And If I understand correctly, this motherboard has a 2nd BIOS chip or something similar to allow me to boot the backup BIOS in case manure hits the fan. So it seems to do just that - but does that mean the 1st chip, at this state, is busted ? Can I change this chip from another exact motherboard and try booting it again ?

So TLDR: somehow after a BIOS update on a Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 Motherboard from F4 -> F31, it went Fk'd and didn't allow me to boot to my Windows 10 on SSD, but only to my backup Windows 10 on HDD instead. 

And Questions I have in mind:

1. Is there any way to revert this issue, as typical BIOS reset methods didn't solve it and my Windows 10 in SSD didn't show up in msconfig > Boot when checking on the HDD version ?

2. Is it possible to fix this BIOS issue by replacing the BIOS chip that got busted, if I understand correctly how this issue occurs and solution ?

Of course, some last resorts like a full Windows 10 re-installation or buying a new motherboard is considered, as sad as it is... I even doubt the full re-installation will change anything, but it's worth trying.

So if you have any input or solutions for this, I will be truly grateful - thank you everyone in advance ! And before telling me I should have been careful... Well, it is too late now 😢

Edited by deuxpolo
Incorrect spelling of Motherboard at the title and within the paragraph.

Force boot with the backup bios

Locate the main bios (marked as M_BIOS) then on the corner thats completely opposite to the one that has a dimple on it you short pins 1 and 2 with whatever you got (screwdriver, tweezers, anything conductive) and release when the mobo boots

I will give it a try tomorrow morning - thank you very much 👍

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Force boot with the backup bios

Locate the main bios (marked as M_BIOS) then on the corner thats completely opposite to the one that has a dimple on it you short pins 1 and 2 with whatever you got (screwdriver, tweezers, anything conductive) and release when the mobo boots

Update: it brought me to a black screen, before showing either a frozen Gigabyte screen or booting me to the backup BIOS. I only tried short-pin twice before deciding not to go further to avoid any further damage I might potentially cause...

Thank you for your advice. But I'm afraid my main BIOS is not alive much at this point 😢

31 minutes ago, deuxpolo said:

Update: it brought me to a black screen, before showing either a frozen Gigabyte screen or booting me to the backup BIOS. I only tried short-pin twice before deciding not to go further to avoid any further damage I might potentially cause...

Thank you for your advice. But I'm afraid my main BIOS is not alive much at this point 😢

No such thing as damage, worst thing that could happen is corruption and im pretty sure your main bios is just corrupted

And fixing a corrupted bios is trivial when it wont boot anymore, either an unreliable ass testclip with a ch341a or you desolder the chip

Broken bios chip is a very very rare thing to come across, you know its broken when flashing it causes errors on the flashing software of your choice or even if it looks to successfully flash the board no displays (postcode 00 aka dead), though ive only seen this twice on the 50+ boards that have come through

On 3/24/2023 at 11:42 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

No such thing as damage, worst thing that could happen is corruption and im pretty sure your main bios is just corrupted

And fixing a corrupted bios is trivial when it wont boot anymore, either an unreliable ass testclip with a ch341a or you desolder the chip

Broken bios chip is a very very rare thing to come across, you know its broken when flashing it causes errors on the flashing software of your choice or even if it looks to successfully flash the board no displays (postcode 00 aka dead), though ive only seen this twice on the 50+ boards that have come through

Hi there - yes, it's not physically damaged, and just corrupted. I will have to figure out how to solder a new chip - but if replacing the whole motherboard will cost me less headache to perform, I will consider. 

So far from various instructions, as long as I get the main bios chip from another motherboard that is identical with mine, I should be set and try the soldering. 

Thanks for your note !

2 hours ago, deuxpolo said:

Hi there - yes, it's not physically damaged, and just corrupted. I will have to figure out how to solder a new chip - but if replacing the whole motherboard will cost me less headache to perform, I will consider. 

So far from various instructions, as long as I get the main bios chip from another motherboard that is identical with mine, I should be set and try the soldering. 

Thanks for your note !

You simply have to program your chip not replace it, but if programming doesnt work then replacement is an option cause your chip might be dead