Windows Update Caused a memory leak.

Axtasium

One day it was fine, the next I had a huge memory leak. All I did was update windows. Using poolmon, it just tells me windows (the memory manager) is eating all the memory. should I just wait and hope the next windows update fixes it or is there a better way I can find the exact issue? I had one in the past and it was not the easiest to find the cause, so hoping someone might have a better way to figure it out. Tried out just looking and seeing if I had a program that could cause it but I couldn't find one. it seems to spike really bad when I'm playing games. like it went from 1.2 gb on paged to the 4.4 in about 6 hours on stellaris. the previous leak I had was also only on the non-paged pool and now its both. Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:

Ryzen 3900x

Rtx 2060

32gb Ram

2tb ssd

asus rog X570 crosshair VIII hero

Screenshot 2023-03-23 075805.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-23 080247.jpg

Go to Task Manager in Windows and see what it says there, right click your taskbar at the bottom it says task manager.....go to performance tab, whats the percentage of the cpu and memory used on the left side, top of the window? Write it down...or try to remember 😛  Ok, close your apps and reboot and go right back into task manager, what does it say the percentages are now for cpu and memory?

Here's from a fresh boot, typically the paged sits around 500-800 and the nonpaged like 500-600. idle CPU usage is like 2-3% normally as well. also ran a full scan and picked up no viruses or anything. it all started after a windows update so somewhere in there is probably the root cause, either an app started working with it wrong or windows itself decided to have issues.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 075803.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-24 075852.jpg

3 hours ago, Axtasium said:

Here's from a fresh boot, typically the paged sits around 500-800 and the nonpaged like 500-600. idle CPU usage is like 2-3% normally as well. also ran a full scan and picked up no viruses or anything. it all started after a windows update so somewhere in there is probably the root cause, either an app started working with it wrong or windows itself decided to have issues.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 075803.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-24 075852.jpg

From my understanding, windows 10/11 usually uses 30% of RAM to load up commonly used apps. Are you sure that wasn't happening before? You can also uninstall updates by going to the settings app and going to the update section. I don't remember the exact way to do it, but I can look it up and help you if you want to roll back the update.

I am 100% certain. I usually always have task manager visible while playing games, which is why I know exactly around where it normally sits. and I don't think I can revert it anymore, been too long so I've got to hope it either gets patched or fix it manually. plus, 4.4gbs in the paged pool is excessive at best so there's definitely an issue there.

15% cpu use on a reboot is very common with windows doing the auto virus scan/network scanning etc... thats why i asked you to reboot to see if it went back down at reboot to 1-2% cpu, where it should be.On a second reboot, when thats on, it will not start on a second boot usually. Something is def wrong, it could be software shadow copys, recovery backups, windows update, geforce experience crap, telemetry, etc... or all of the above at once, which would be frightening. Your ethernet says its receiving 10.8 mega bits per second which is a good chunk of data, so its talking to the internet doing something.

That was immediately after a fresh reboot, was still getting settled. Here's one today. After a small update they did, the issue seems to have been severely lessened, or possibly just fixed outright. the paged is still higher than I typically remember, and not eating 4-5gbs of memory, but that could be chromes doing. I also run a lot of things so those numbers you see aren't just windows, my pc also hosts a media server and I have lots of stuff I use on a daily basis. Hopefully it wont start flipping out again but i haven't seen it do it in the last 2 days while before it happened in a few hours tops.

Screenshot 2023-03-28 042140.jpg

Heeyo 🙂

Please, go to Start -> advanced system settings -> make a screenshot of the following: (You can get here by clicking "settings" under "performance".image.png.4121c953801518464588326378f2778c.png

I am not expecting anything crazy. but would like to see what is set here.

Its just all set to auto. I have a 2tb m.2 ssd as my primary. Looking at it now, it seems way off. I had to reset it awhile back and i don't remember it being this high. in fact, why would it be set this high? 43gbs? like why? i have 32gbs of ram so no idea why it would think i need that much virtual memory. should i manually set it, and if so, what seems reasonable?

Screenshot 2023-03-29 045900.jpg