Looking for a TV panel breakdown and a map of brands to panel types.

iaTarget

I'm looking to upgrade a TV panel.   

Smart TV is not something I care about.  For Me I always attach a smart device to take over that responsibility.  I attach Andriod/Apple TV boxes and other iot tech.
Sound is mildly a concern.  A reasonable built in speaker setup is fine.  If I have to break out to a sound bar fine.

For me I want to know about the panels.   I'm looking to get the best panel for my dollar.  The extra features don't mean much at all for me.

So in general I'm looking for resources that break down the current panel tech out there.  I know there are a limited number of panel makers and far more TV suppliers.   What I don't know is who is using which panels for which TV's.

Anyone have any pointers to some unbiased break down?

Does it matter in the end? A tv is more than just a panel, and even two tvs from different companies using the same panel will not have the same image due to everything else that makes up a tv.

Knowing the panel is useless information. It's essentially a 'raw material' and it's up to the manufacturer to tune it to their specifications.
This is why Sony televisions are generally considered the best even though they use LG panels.

Best panel for your dollar would be trying to find a C2 (or even a C1) LG OLED.

Or wait for sales on a Sony OLED.

Or if you like playing the lottery, TCL and Hisense make phenomenal budget televisions now.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

It's not 2012 anymore - you can't just say "X, Y, Z panels are awful and should be avoided and A, B, C panels should be sought after". The performance gap between panels is MUCH narrower now. Backlight will matter more than it did then for LCDs. Processing matters more now. 

As others hinted at the panel is just one part and other things matter more these days. 

If you want to get a TV, spec out your needs (size, refresh rate, responsiveness, image quality, viewing angles, etc.) and budget and go on RTINGS and use that as a starting point for value hunting. 

If you want to go high end... LG and Samsung as a rule of thumb (NOT their mid range units, those are overpriced garbage with poor reliability vs the competition). If you want to go mid range then TCL and Hisense usually. 
Low end... good luck. It's not THAT much cheaper these days but there's a real image quality gap. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 3/22/2023 at 8:08 AM, iaTarget said:

I'm looking to upgrade a TV panel.   

Smart TV is not something I care about.  For Me I always attach a smart device to take over that responsibility.  I attach Andriod/Apple TV boxes and other iot tech.
Sound is mildly a concern.  A reasonable built in speaker setup is fine.  If I have to break out to a sound bar fine.

For me I want to know about the panels.   I'm looking to get the best panel for my dollar.  The extra features don't mean much at all for me.

So in general I'm looking for resources that break down the current panel tech out there.  I know there are a limited number of panel makers and far more TV suppliers.   What I don't know is who is using which panels for which TV's.

Anyone have any pointers to some unbiased break down?

You want the best? For what application?

Pure visual quality, that basically means get an OLED. The LG C series are the best value. The Sony A series OLED's are slightly better but also slightly more expensive.

Then there's the cutting edge QD-OLED which somehow fuses OLED and Quantum Dot (QLED) tech together. These are extremely expensive and I'd be weary as an early adopter.

If you can't afford an OLED, there's Quantum Dot tech. TCL has some INCREDIBLE inexpensive QLED TV's that are good value. Samsung makes some really good ones, though they come with your typical Samsung TV annoyances like lack of Dolby Vision and dealing with their TV OS.

There are some other QLED brands out there too.

www.rtings.com is your best friend when it comes to TV's.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)