Why MSI put optical output in my mobo when I cannot get a surround output from this source?

I own a MSI x570 gaming plus mobo but only output from optical is stereo, Realtek Audio Control doesnt seems to have any other option for this output as well. I tried this on W10 and 11. Why MSI puts such an output when I cannot utilize it properly? Any tips how to get it working?

So this is the main output and not something like a debug sound output correct? I know some motherboards have audio out that are simply meant for your to connect a debug speaker to so you can hear error codes if and when your PC won't start properly. 

What is the source audio you're trying to play back? Optical S/PDIF can do compressed digital 5.1 (old school Dolby Digital or DTS) but you need to be playing something back that's actually in that format so it can be sent to a decoder (usually a home theater receiver). 

For everything else, you'll be uncompressed 2.0 stereo. 

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What is the source audio you're trying to play back? Optical S/PDIF can do compressed digital 5.1 (old school Dolby Digital or DTS) but you need to be playing something back that's actually in that format so it can be sent to a decoder (usually a home theater receiver).

For everything else, you'll be uncompressed 2.0 stereo.

I want to use 5.1 for movies

13 minutes ago, woosh4q said:

I want to use 5.1 for movies

Do your movies have a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS audio track?

16 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Do your movies have a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS audio track?

Both, some have DTS, some Dolby, depends on encoding I think. I can push surround 5.1 through HDMI from my gpu but not optical.

1 minute ago, woosh4q said:

Both, some have DTS, some Dolby, depends on encoding I think. I can push surround 5.1 through HDMI from my gpu but not optical.

Ok, then what are you using to play back? What software? It may need to be configured.