nvlddmkm.sys BSOD issue

Foxy2122

Hi all, I have an old HP Pavilion Elite HPE 178d, which is running on an Intel Core i5-650 and a NVIDIA GT230 GPU. Every time I start up the computer, it will work fine, then the display will start turning off and on with the error of "Windows Kernel Display driver has stopped responding and recovered". After a few mins, it will show a BSOD like the one below. I have tried to do a clean uninstallation and reinstallation, and tried to do the TdrDelay setting in registry editor, but it doesn't work. I have also done a hard reset back to Windows 7 (still showing errors) and upgraded it back to the latest version of Windows 10 Pro (also having errors).

Hence I am not sure if I have to swap the graphics card for something else. If I have to do a swap, can sb make a recommendation as to what kind of GPU I should get. This comp is very old, so I suppose it is running on a Legacy BIOS. It also has a MS-7613 motherboard and a 300W PSU. I am planning to get an MSI GTX 750Ti should there be a need (https://m.tb.cn/h.UqCuglw?tk=qFHXdQZZyFYCZ3457), but I'm also not sure if a GT 1030 or GTX 950 would work.

I'm all ears for any advice on fixing this problem, whether it involves replacing the GPU or otherwise, since I believe that the majority of the people here are more IT-literate than me. I just want to fix the computer and probably upgrade it so that it runs smoothly for a couple more years and not having it to crash after operating it for a mere few mins.

Thank you.

BSOD.jpg

GPU (back).jpg

GPU.jpg

Motherboard (MS-7613).jpg

Screenshot_20230320_160317.png

To clarify the above, I had done a clean reinstallation of the NVIDIA drivers. Sorry for not making it clear.

those 3 ram slots are doing my head in

also that god awfull font on your phone

if you ca, test it in another system, try and update bios if you can find one

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Look like a dying GPU. Do you need the GPU though?
The processor have integrated GPU for display output. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Blqckqut said:

those 3 ram slots are doing my head in

also that god awfull font on your phone

if you ca, test it in another system, try and update bios if you can find one

Haha I agree with you on the 3 RAM sticks part, when I opened that CPU I was so confused. It came like this when my mum purchased this computer 13 years ago. I even slashed my finger against the side of the GPU while trying to pull out the 24-pin PSU connector, and it only stopped bleeding a while ago. Now I really hate my PC.

By the way how to I update my BIOS, by any chance? I think the last time I updated it was via Windows Updates, like many years before. And if the display kept crashing I'm so tempted to rip out the GPU for good. Sadly I don't have another test bench (and 13 years old at that lol). Would love it if you can recommend me any GPU if you think I require one, or if the second-hand 750ti that I intend to buy is viable in the long run.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Look like a dying GPU. Do you need the GPU though?
The processor have integrated GPU for display output. 

I think my GPU is dying, as you mentioned. I don't need a faulty GPU in my comp, I just want to use my comp for light video watching since my mum is into shows/movies that I ripped off the internet in 4k/x265. Thought that swapping out the GPU would be beneficial in this case.

I'm not really sure about the integrated GPU part. When I uninstalled the graphics driver, they automatically downloaded the VGA as a backup for display (not sure if you are referring to this). But it is in 720p and super buggy. Hence I would like to avoid that, and as per reasons mentioned above, I would prefer a GPU to run some graphics-intensive tasks, which I believe are not sufficient for an integrated GPU. Not really sure, but a dedicated GPU is definitely better than integrated GPU in my case.

Thanks for reading this long reply, really appreciate it haha.