No Power

ParsaMosavat

Just built my new pc but it seems that the computer isn’t even turning on. Could use some help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like you need to flip the switch on your power supply. The I or 1 is on which looks like you have it on the O or 0 for off. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Did you flip this to the on position when you tried powering on?
image.png.d16c9b5a558b936a7fcd94adc0a37784.png

Should be 1 and not 0. 
Just checking to make sure. pretty simple mistake.

Guys I’ve already tried the psu both ways repeatedly before and no luck, already thought of that.

1 minute ago, ParsaMosavat said:

Guys I’ve already tried the psu both ways repeatedly before and no luck, already thought of that.

Well we can only go by what you gave us which is a whole mess of a setup based on the pictures and no actual info on what you have done so far. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Does anything power on at all? usually the PSU fan will at least spin a little if its powered on correctly. If not then its possible the motherboard connector is connected properly. 
Do you see any signs of life when you hit the power button? 
If there is absolutely no signs of life i would double check the power socketed you're plugged into is working. 

Also can anybody confirm if this is a CPU connector or a PCIe connector?
image.png.8a1c5da53a906a51e50ccabfb81a9b00.png

Most power supplies i've worked with only have one CPU connector, where as the PCIe connectors have multiple pigtails. Its possible your power supply has a CPU connector with two pigtails ive just never seen one like that.

What power supply are you using?

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Well we can only go by what you gave us which is a whole mess of a setup based on the pictures and no actual info on what you have done so far. 

+1. And besides, that PSU isnt even mounted properly which concerns me even more.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I’ve installed a 5800x in a b550 motherboard with a Ryzen air cooler using a little bit of thermal paste. I installed the IO shield then plugged in my cpu power cable after setting my motherboard on 9 standoffs (3x3x3). I connected the base motherboard cables (LED and HDD with regards to polars and the reverse switch) and then connected the 3rd fan (3pin) in the back to the motherboard. The other 2 fans had these cables labeled with power which I connected to the cables that came with my power supply and matched them, and then I connected those to the PSU. I installed my SSD in the 3.5 inch drive by screwing it in the bay and then  connected it to the Sata port on the motherboard and used the PSU sata cables and connected those. I then went on to install the GPU and connect it to the PSU.

2 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

Most power supplies i've worked with only have one CPU connector, where as the PCIe connectors have multiple pigtails. Its possible your power supply has a CPU connector with two pigtails ive just never seen one like that.

It’s labeled as CPU 

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

Does anything power on at all? usually the PSU fan will at least spin a little if its powered on correctly. If not then its possible the motherboard connector is connected properly. 
If there is absolutely no signs of life i would double check the power socketed you're plugged into is working. 

PSU fan does not turn on.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

+1. And besides, that PSU isnt even mounted properly which concerns me even more.

saw that but thought I could fix it later because I just wanted to see if I could get a boot.

4 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

It’s a semi modular thermaltake 80+ bronze 650 watt.

9 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

No signs of life and tried multiple sockets that were working prior.

if PSU doesnt power on i'd check to make sure the motherboard power cable is correctly seated, cuz if its not the psu wont turn on. There are two sense pins on the power supply to check if its connected to anything before powering on.

I'd also check that you have the Power on front IO cables connected properly. Those are easy to mistakenly connect wrong. If those arent connected itd be pretty obvious why nothing happens when you hit the on button.

14 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

Do you have this connected properly? why do we see one unused pin ?

Good eye. I don't know what connector that is but the whole connector looks shifted one set to the left.

Edit: Well it looks like it's an MSI B550 Gaming Gen3 and if it is then that's just a USB connector. But the connectors on the far right in that image are the front panel connectors which also look improperly connected.

I'd just make sure those connectors are in the right spots and that the power switch connector is properly connected to the power switch pins. It also looks like your reset switch and HDD LED connectors on the bottom are one pin to the right of where they should be. It might not make a difference but you might as well give it a shot anyway.

38 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

reset switch and HDD LED connectors on the bottom are one pin to the right of where they should b

If these were connected wrong i wouldnt be surprised if the PWR+/- were connected backwards or even to the wrong pins. 
I'm quite confident this is what it must be.

58 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Good eye. I don't know what connector that is but the whole connector looks shifted one set to the left.

Edit: Well it looks like it's an MSI B550 Gaming Gen3 and if it is then that's just a USB connector. But the connectors on the far right in that image are the front panel connectors which also look improperly connected.

I'd just make sure those connectors are in the right spots and that the power switch connector is properly connected to the power switch pins. It also looks like your reset switch and HDD LED connectors on the bottom are one pin to the right of where they should be. It might not make a difference but you might as well give it a shot anyway.

Appreciate it. Fixed the front panel connectors although unfortunately that alone did not make a difference.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

Do you have this connected properly? why do we see one unused pin ?

image.png.50a8b4088035c31e4977c6a0900cbf51.png

Thanks for this didn’t see it. Also fixed but still no power.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

if PSU doesnt power on i'd check to make sure the motherboard power cable is correctly seated, cuz if its not the psu wont turn on. There are two sense pins on the power supply to check if its connected to anything before powering on.

I'd also check that you have the Power on front IO cables connected properly. Those are easy to mistakenly connect wrong. If those arent connected itd be pretty obvious why nothing happens when you hit the on button.

I just double checked. I’ll send close ups of both ends of the power cables. Let me know if u see anything alarming.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Okay im still baffled you see no fan spin on the power supply. As i said there is a sense pin to check if there is anything connected before powering on the power supply.
Please try shorting these two pins as demonstrated in this short:

I do this quite often in my lab, very low risk test to make sure the PSU is working. Another way to find the right pin is to count 4 pins from the side of the connector when you have the clip (the thing that holds it in place with the motherboard) facing towards you.  You can clearly see the clip in the video as well. Ask again if this confuses you. these connectors are standardized so If you hold the connector the same way as shown in the video and connect it the same way, youll be good.
You will not hurt yourself if you touch the paper clip. This is a extremely low current connection that simply sense if something is connected. 

Just ensure the power supply is off (switch to  0) before plugging in the paper clip. 

Once you've done this, report back if the power supply turned on or not. This will tell us if u have a dead power supply

I forgot to mention, please disconnect the CPU connector. It wont damage the CPU if you dont, we just want to separate it completely first. 

• 1 month later...