Should I listen to my AIO or Motherboard instructions?

Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,
19 minutes ago, venomtail said:

NZXT AIO says to plug in the 3 pin cable in CPU header.

The three pin is usually there too fool the motherboard into thinking a cpu cooler fan is connected. Some motherboards will fail to post if nothing is connected to the cpu fan header.

Could be wrong but pretty sure the AIO pump is not powered from this header. I believe it is powered via the SATA power cable or internal usb header.

21 minutes ago, venomtail said:

but I could never change pump speed in the BIOS.

Should be able to control the pump speed via NZXT CAM?

Recabling my cooling as I got some new fans and suspected that 5 years ago I maybe plugged in my cables wrong, cause in BIOS I could never change pump speeds.

Got an ASUS X470-I motherboard and an X62 Rev 2 AIO. Motherboad has a CPU, AIO and chassis pump. Motherboard manual seems to suggest if I have an AIO, I plug in the 3 pin header into 4 pin AIO header on motherboard, however the NZXT AIO says to plug in the 3 pin cable in CPU header.

So which one should I listen to? In this situation, who has the last say? The motherboard, where stuff gets plugged into or the AIO itself, because it's the one getting plugged in. That being said, I had the 3 pin header plugged into CPU header as AIO manual asks me to, but I could never change pump speed in the BIOS. Should I go the other option and do as the motherboard manual asks me to and plug the 3 pins into AIO header?

It also has an extention cable, with 4 4 pin extentions. How does either AIO or CPU fan header control those?

Motherboard manual is here. Kraken manual.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

19 minutes ago, venomtail said:

NZXT AIO says to plug in the 3 pin cable in CPU header.

The three pin is usually there too fool the motherboard into thinking a cpu cooler fan is connected. Some motherboards will fail to post if nothing is connected to the cpu fan header.

Could be wrong but pretty sure the AIO pump is not powered from this header. I believe it is powered via the SATA power cable or internal usb header.

21 minutes ago, venomtail said:

but I could never change pump speed in the BIOS.

56 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

That seems to be the case. Now PC won't boot as motheboard says CPU fan speed error detected. Seems like I'll have to follow what the AIO manual says, and plug in the AIO header into the CPU fan header on the motherboard as it says.

Conflicting instructions but oh well I guess.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker