Broke a cable when replacing thermal paste on the GPU

Yggr
So I broke a cable while I was taking apart my GPU that was not taken apart since 2017. In doing so, the fan connector didn't move, so I used a bit of force and that was the mistake - one cable from the 4 pin snapped off.
Nothing else is damaged, so I reckon if I replace the cable, all will be fine, the problem is, I have no idea for what cable I should be looking, in terms of the electrical units etc.

Cable is 4-pin (connects to the GPU), on the other end is another 4-pin which splits into a separate connector but it has 3-pins. Both ends connect to separate two GPU fans (original, the same fans)

56 minutes ago, Yggr said:
So I broke a cable while I was taking apart my GPU that was not taken apart since 2017. In doing so, the fan connector didn't move, so I used a bit of force and that was the mistake - one cable from the 4 pin snapped off.
Nothing else is damaged, so I reckon if I replace the cable, all will be fine, the problem is, I have no idea for what cable I should be looking, in terms of the electrical units etc.

Cable is 4-pin (connects to the GPU), on the other end is another 4-pin which splits into a separate connector but it has 3-pins. Both ends connect to separate two GPU fans (original, the same fans)

Looks like JST PH connector to me.

Repair methods aside from buying the very same cable with that kind of design :

Method 1 (IMHO easiest to do since you don't need to depin, or solder a wire to a very tiny pin) :

- Buy a JST PH 4pin connector that comes with cables pre crimped.

- Cut the 3 intact one of the original cable (remember to take note which pin goes to which slot on the original connector, mark them, make some notes)

- splice new connector+cables to the cutted cables.

Method 2 :

- Depin 1 cable from the new connector

- Depin the pin which cable is cut off from original one

- Splice new cable to old cutted off cable

- Reinsert pin

Method 3 :

- Depin the pin which cable is cut off

- Solder the cutoff to the pin (might need to add a bit more cable to make it easier)

- Reinsert pin

additional note : Might need to make sure the solder is thin enough that the pin can be inserted back into housing. And need to make sure that no solder is in the pin hole, blocking the male pin from going in.

For Method #2 you don't need to buy a 4 pin connector, since you only need 1 pin.

For Method #3 you don't need to buy a new connector

Remember to use heatshrinks on splice points to avoid short circuit or something.

You can use something thin & sharp to depin, like sewing needle, sharp pointed tweezer, toothpick. It's easy to do

I can make a video of depinning if you need it

See the pic below, the purple circled part is the locking mechanism that prevents the pin from sliding out.

lift the part that I circled purple upward a bit, while it's lifted, pull cable / push pin toward the back of the housing.

Don't go ham when lifting the circled part or it'll break, you only need to create a bit of room for pin to slide out.

Also, for future reference : When pulling these kind of connectors, never pull the cable. The sides have a jutted out section which you can use as a holding point to pull it out. Although you might need at least some fingernails to grab it, or use something like a plastic prying stick

JSTPH.png.e5bd51a556530219ae087de5a69843b5.pngimage.png.1b9831b5caf69114b857372ea99b7955.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Thank you a ton! I will try to fix it first thing tomorrow with your instructions. Already located a place to buy new female ends or cables if I will need them. Never done this kind of fix, but seems simple enough, just have to be careful.

I might've pulled on the cable, true, shouldn't have. I also used tweezers to grab it, but when they slipped out (because this one connector really didn't want to come out) they could've "cut" it.

Will give an update if I manage to get the fans running!

18 minutes ago, Yggr said:

Thank you a ton! I will try to fix it first thing tomorrow with your instructions. Already located a place to buy new female ends or cables if I will need them. Never done this kind of fix, but seems simple enough, just have to be careful.

I might've pulled on the cable, true, shouldn't have. I also used tweezers to grab it, but when they slipped out (because this one connector really didn't want to come out) they could've "cut" it.

Will give an update if I manage to get the fans running!

yeah, if you pull it directly outward you need some bit of force.
Usually I just lift them a bit from one side, then again from the other side, repeating the process until like 1/3 or 1/2 or all of the connector is out of the header.

Basically, wiggling it out.

Yeah, if you have a place where you can buy a connector with pre-crimped cable, I suggest to just use Method #1. At the very least soldering (or you know.. .the old kinda unreliable method of twirling 2 bare wires together then use heatsrink over them.)  a cable splice is easier than trying to solder some thin wires to like a 1-2mm sized pin.

OR, if they make the cabled connectors themselves, ask them if they can repair your cable for you, they probably have a JST crimper.

Best of luck to you.

Edit : Here's what it actually look like with cross section view. Black is pin, Purple is plastic lock/tab.

PIN.png

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I actually managed to get my hands on a JST crimper and a new female pin. Also managed to get the broken female pin out, thanks to your instructions. Can I just crimp the one cable that got loose and stick it back? Will that work, or do I need to get a new 4 pin connector?

1 minute ago, Yggr said:

I actually managed to get my hands on a JST crimper and a new female pin. Also managed to get the broken female pin out, thanks to your instructions. Can I just crimp the one cable that got loose and stick it back? Will that work, or do I need to get a new 4 pin connector?

Should work, just that that one cable will be shorter than the rest.

managed to get my hands on a JST crimper

Now I am jealous. 🤣

Refresh before you reply

Got the more expensive crimper ready, however, I'm not sure about the correct size of the metal female connectors. When you gave JST PH 2.0 connectors as an example above, does that mean I should get the 2.0mm connectors? I also can get 2.54mm or 2.5mm