Someone please help! Long time problem, nothing has helped.

Nicks0c4b0y

Hello everyone! 

Specs: i9 9900k, rx6700xt, 4x8gb ram, 850w goldplus PSU, normal mid price level cpu cooler.

I've been having an issue with my tower for a while now, where when doing normal stuff, even with just chrome and discord open, my computer will freeze (audio will most of the time keep playing though) and the main monitor screen will go black, after a few minutes, both monitors will go black for a moment then both will come back on and there is an AMD popup message that says gpu driver timed out. Thing is, I've tried almost everything including buying a new gpu and it still happens. 

List of things I have already done to try to fix it but that have not worked:
- bought a new gpu
- bought a new more powerful PSU

- bought a new mobo
- reinstalled windows

- updated gpu drivers

- reseated ram and cpu

Please any help is very welcome! I'm desperate!!! haha

3 minutes ago, Nicks0c4b0y said:

Hello everyone! 

Specs: i9 9900k, rx6700xt, 4x8gb ram, 850w goldplus PSU, normal mid price level cpu cooler.

I've been having an issue with my tower for a while now, where when doing normal stuff, even with just chrome and discord open, my computer will freeze (audio will most of the time keep playing though) and the main monitor screen will go black, after a few minutes, both monitors will go black for a moment then both will come back on and there is an AMD popup message that says gpu driver timed out. Thing is, I've tried almost everything including buying a new gpu and it still happens. 

List of things I have already done to try to fix it but that have not worked:
- bought a new gpu
- bought a new more powerful PSU

- bought a new mobo
- reinstalled windows

- updated gpu drivers

- reseated ram and cpu

Please any help is very welcome! I'm desperate!!! haha

are you overclocking? also install ddu and removez the drivers in safe mode, then install them in normal windows

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

Well, ideas :

Try only one (or two) stick Ram, maybe different slot

Try igpu

Try only one monitor

I'm willing to swim against the current.

One more thing to add is that my power draw doing normal stuff is really high in task manager most of the time, but ive changed out my gpu mobo and psu, idk how it could still be so high.

3 minutes ago, leclod said:

Well, ideas :

Try only one (or two) stick Ram, maybe different slot

Try igpu

Try only one monitor

I'm gonna be so mad if this was my ram all along haha. Problems are almost never ram. But would it be ram if i get the AMD gpu driver timeout error after my computer unfreezes?

4 minutes ago, Nicks0c4b0y said:

I'm gonna be so mad if this was my ram all along haha. Problems are almost never ram. But would it be ram if i get the AMD gpu driver timeout error after my computer unfreezes?

I guess not, but I'd try it. 🙂

I'm willing to swim against the current.

13 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

are you overclocking? also install ddu and removez the drivers in safe mode, then install them in normal windows

I am not overclocking, what is ddu? and how would I go back removing them in safe mode and installing them in normal windows?

Just now, Nicks0c4b0y said:

I am not overclocking, what is ddu? and how would I go back removing them in safe mode and installing them in normal windows?

display driver uninstaller, great tool that deletes the failed data from older driver versions of ur gpu, to get into afe mode, hold shift while clicking restart inwindows, hold it till you see q blue screen, then do qdvqnced options, stqrtup options, qnd the press 4 for safe mdoe

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

8 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

display driver uninstaller, great tool that deletes the failed data from older driver versions of ur gpu, to get into afe mode, hold shift while clicking restart inwindows, hold it till you see q blue screen, then do qdvqnced options, stqrtup options, qnd the press 4 for safe mdoe

Ill give that a try thank you! what is the point of going into safe mode to uninstall the drivers then back to normal windows to reinstall though?

Option 1:

For me when the problems are this alarming, I usually try fresh windows install. If you have the luxury of additional spare drives, you might be able to get away with running a test drive instead of nuking your current system. This will eliminate the probability that it's a software issue. If you do this make sure you run the latest updates to your OS and drivers. Keep a backup of your data of course. Unplug any drives that aren't related to your OS if you really don't want to accidentally nuke the wrong drive. 

Option 2:

If your system temps/power draw and so forth are reporting within reasonable ranges, it sounds like it might just be your monitor cables. Had the same thing happen to me a while ago. Try switching ports and cables. Do both if you're lazy and don't want to figure out which of the two are causing the problem. It's what I did.

Subsection 2a:

Your monitors themselves are the problem. Also had this happen to me, but I had my monitors run for like 15 years. 

Option 3:

Another issue might be an unstable change to your BIOS. Try clearing CMOS or updating to the latest version. 

Option 4:

Unstable/dirty power... We'll cross that line if we eliminate these other free/cheap fixes. 

There are probably more things we can try, but I'd need more information from you and probably to see what the results are from these suggestions. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

30 minutes ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

Option 1:

For me when the problems are this alarming, I usually try fresh windows install. If you have the luxury of additional spare drives, you might be able to get away with running a test drive instead of nuking your current system. This will eliminate the probability that it's a software issue. If you do this make sure you run the latest updates to your OS and drivers. Keep a backup of your data of course. Unplug any drives that aren't related to your OS if you really don't want to accidentally nuke the wrong drive. 

Option 2:

If your system temps/power draw and so forth are reporting within reasonable ranges, it sounds like it might just be your monitor cables. Had the same thing happen to me a while ago. Try switching ports and cables. Do both if you're lazy and don't want to figure out which of the two are causing the problem. It's what I did.

Subsection 2a:

Your monitors themselves are the problem. Also had this happen to me, but I had my monitors run for like 15 years. 

Option 3:

Another issue might be an unstable change to your BIOS. Try clearing CMOS or updating to the latest version. 

Option 4:

Unstable/dirty power... We'll cross that line if we eliminate these other free/cheap fixes. 

There are probably more things we can try, but I'd need more information from you and probably to see what the results are from these suggestions. 

thank you so much for your reply! I already tried a fresh install of windows and it fixed nothing, I dont think it is my cables or monitors because after the freeze it always has an AMD driver timed out error message. also my power draw WAS very high on stuff it shouldnt be very high on like just watching a stream on chrome. But I already replaced my mobo and psu which is now moreeee than good enough and still didnt fix it. I JUST used DDU in safe mode like the nice people above were suggesting and reinstalled the display drivers. The annoying thing about this problem is that there is no immediate way for me to see if it's fixed, since when it wasnt freezing, my computer preformed more or less normally. So I'll report back if after using DDU and reinstalling drivers it happens again. Ill just have to wait and see if it does or not haha.

1 hour ago, Nicks0c4b0y said:

thank you so much for your reply! I already tried a fresh install of windows and it fixed nothing, I dont think it is my cables or monitors because after the freeze it always has an AMD driver timed out error message. also my power draw WAS very high on stuff it shouldnt be very high on like just watching a stream on chrome. But I already replaced my mobo and psu which is now moreeee than good enough and still didnt fix it. I JUST used DDU in safe mode like the nice people above were suggesting and reinstalled the display drivers. The annoying thing about this problem is that there is no immediate way for me to see if it's fixed, since when it wasnt freezing, my computer preformed more or less normally. So I'll report back if after using DDU and reinstalling drivers it happens again. Ill just have to wait and see if it does or not haha.

Perhaps we don't have to wait, it might be a stability issue. You can try doing a GPU stress test.

As for the driver error you mentioned, I was thinking that too, but sometimes errors are liars. Though you're probably right in that it's more likely to do with the GPU somehow. Could be the cables coming into the GPU, something on the GPU board, etc. Then again AMD has been known in the past to have wacky drivers. 

Sorry to hear this btw, I really hope it's just the drivers. 

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

1 hour ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

Perhaps we don't have to wait, it might be a stability issue. You can try doing a GPU stress test.

As for the driver error you mentioned, I was thinking that too, but sometimes errors are liars. Though you're probably right in that it's more likely to do with the GPU somehow. Could be the cables coming into the GPU, something on the GPU board, etc. Then again AMD has been known in the past to have wacky drivers. 

I also saw that lowering max frequency and voltage helped as well, so I did that and no issues so far! What's the best way to do a stress test?

20 hours ago, P e r s e p h o n e said:

I ran furmark, and everything went fine, also I had it freeze one more time last night after using DDU and lowering max clock speeds and voltage. Now I just ran sfc -scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth in command prompt and it did find a corrupt file and fixed it. Hopefully THIS will fix my issues hahaha