can i useRadeon HD 6700M in a Hp elitebook 8560w

aerotron7556

i currently have the k1000m gpu in the laptop but i am wondering if i can put the Radeon HD 6700M gpu in with not a lot of problems

Thanks

in theory, if you can find an MXM module with the exact layout of the current one, so that the cooler and mounts line up.. yes.

in practice, it is impossible to find matching MXM modules because they are essentially not standardized at all beyond the outside dimensions, so unless the manufacturer themselves provides an upgrade path, you may as well consider them not upgradeable.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've only ever experience the opposite of "not a lot of problems" when dealing with mobile GPUs like that.

this may be the most gentle way ever to describe "an absolute horror show."

51 minutes ago, manikyath said:

this may be the most gentle way ever to describe "an absolute horror show."

Hp also loves whitelisting only a couple gpu's per laptop and since those amd cards never touched that laptop it's basically a given they;ll not work

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

in theory, if you can find an MXM module with the exact layout of the current one, so that the cooler and mounts line up.. yes.

in practice, it is impossible to find matching MXM modules because they are essentially not standardized at all beyond the outside dimensions, so unless the manufacturer themselves provides an upgrade path, you may as well consider them not upgradeable.

And that's even with hoping it'll be compatible on the software level.

I've tried upgrading MXM-based GPUs in iMacs before, unless the replacement GPU came from another Mac, there is absolutely no guarantee that it'll work even if it's theoretically compatible.

Laptops, especially from the likes of HP, are already like rolling a d20 and needing to hit 19 or higher to pass the check.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Hp also loves whitelisting only a couple gpu's per laptop and since those amd cards never touched that laptop it's basically a given they;ll not work

i've never heard this practisce before; there's been cases where they did this with wifi cards, but that was due to FCC regulations (the laptop only being validated trough FCC with one type of wifi card, and the cards themselves nto being validated).

but as for MXM modules themselves... never heard of those being "purposefully" locked in any way.

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've never heard this practisce before; there's been cases where they did this with wifi cards, but that was due to FCC regulations (the laptop only being validated trough FCC with one type of wifi card, and the cards themselves nto being validated).

but as for MXM modules themselves... never heard of those being "purposefully" locked in any way.

Basically the board is only told to function with xyz part. If non x,y or z is inserted it is see as a improperly functioning part and the pc refuses to work with it.

This is the biggest issues with mxm.