Accidentally installed SSD with my PC powered on

Minuto
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
59 minutes ago, Minuto said:

It’s too bad I didn’t accidentally got plug a SATA SSD then since M2 NVMEs are not hot pluggable. 

And I see. Well, I definitely won’t do that again at least. Not even with a SATA drive if I ever get that just in case lol.

Basically if you do any work on the computer make sure the power cord is unplugged 😛

I forgot I left my PC on overnight, and I accidentally installed a NVME SSD while it was on. Is it possible I damaged anything like the SSD or any other parts? The PC seems to be booting up fine at least, and I’m able to boot into that SSD. Could this degrade the performance of any of my parts though?

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fpfDLs

Both SATA and PCIe are in principle hot-plug ready. So it shouldn't be an issue. If your system still works, like you said, you've dodged the bullet anyway, and degradation b/c you accidentally hotplugged a part is rare.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

42 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Both SATA and PCIe are in principle hot-plug ready. So it shouldn't be an issue. If your system still works, like you said, you've dodged the bullet anyway, and degradation b/c you accidentally hotplugged a part is rare.

Oh, NVMe SSDs are hot-plug ready? That’s cool. I didn’t know that, but I probably won’t do it again (on purpose) anyway lol. And that’s good to hear. The system seems to be completely fine, and I’m glad that degradation is rare and all then.

36 minutes ago, Minuto said:

Oh, NVMe SSDs are hot-plug ready? That’s cool. I didn’t know that, but I probably won’t do it again (on purpose) anyway lol. And that’s good to hear. The system seems to be completely fine, and I’m glad that degradation is rare and all then.

Yes but no.

Hotplug is an OPTIONAL feature most consumer gear does not have this and often if you try you fry stuff.

You got lucky

51 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes but no.

Hotplug is an OPTIONAL feature most consumer gear does not have this and often if you try you fry stuff.

You got lucky

I see, I definitely did get really lucky here. I doubt my ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus is compatible with that then since I skimmed through the manual and didn’t see anything about that. Still, it seems I didn’t fry anything, at least. If I hot swap my SSD, does that mean I could fry other parts too like the CPU, PSU, my other SSD, my RAM, etc. or is it just the SSD that’s at risk?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Yes but no.

You got lucky

not true, even my sandy bridge entry level boards had hot plug feature

17 minutes ago, xdagamer said:

sandy bridge did not support NVMe lmfao

most sata boards have hotplug sata, most boards with NVMe do not have hotplug NVMe and even then it’s limited usually to U.2 only. M.2 NVMe is almost never hotplug.

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

most sata boards have hotplug sata, most boards with NVMe do not have hotplug NVMe and even then it’s limited usually to U.2 only. M.2 NVMe is almost never hotplug.

yes i meant sata not nvme, i probably got the context wrong here

i mean i didn't read the quotation of OP in your post so a slight misjudgement

7 hours ago, xdagamer said:

Meant m.2 but for sata it's a lot more common. Still not every controller allowed that function.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, NF-A12x25 said:

It’s too bad I didn’t accidentally got plug a SATA SSD then since M2 NVMEs are not hot pluggable. 

On 3/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, jaslion said:

Meant m.2 but for sata it's a lot more common. Still not every controller allowed that function.

And I see. Well, I definitely won’t do that again at least. Not even with a SATA drive if I ever get that just in case lol.

59 minutes ago, Minuto said:

Basically if you do any work on the computer make sure the power cord is unplugged 😛

On 3/14/2023 at 10:43 AM, jaslion said:

That makes sense lol. I’ll definitely be sure to unplug the power cord in the future.