Sony Headphones don’t work properly on MacBook air

Hello, my girlfriend recently got her hands on some Sony WH-XB910N headphones and sometimes she issues them on her (2017?) MacBook Air. However things have not been very easy as we’ve encountered an issue we cannot find anywhere else. 

Whenever she uses the headphones she has to open the settings, go to audio, and then to input to hear sound from the MacBook. What I assume is supposed to happen is she’s supposed to hear her microphone playback through the speakers to test the mic, however instead of that happening, she is actually able to hear the audio output, but it’s much lower quality than it should be. This only happens on hee MacBook, tested on other MacBooks and laptops and this problem doesn’t happen at all. 

I cannot find a solution to this problem, and my last idea left is to hard reset the MacBook. but she’s not very tech savvy so doing that will take a day or two. 

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

On windows it's called "handsfree" mode. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208896

This happens because Bluetooth has two modes. The first mode is for listening to higher-quality audio. The second mode is for both  speaking through the microphone and listening to audio. When Bluetooth switches to the second mode, audio quality is reduced until the microphone is no longer in use.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.