Suggestion: Hacking Topic

Aremis

Richard Stallman Hacking, not "Teehee I'm ruining a game" hacking

So I come from Level1Techs....  well not really.  I'm a Tek Syndicate user, L1 was.... a loss.  Its just not what it was anymore.  Yeah theres places to post, and get like... attention... but the fun for me was community interaction and community projects.  Challenging each other to build computers in wacky configurations (Milk crates, suitcases, car dash, etc), random month long games.  All sorts.  It all kinda died when it turned into L1.

Nowadays me and others are still doing stuff.  Recently a PC became unreliable and I had to pull out my backup.  After a bunch of jank work arounds and breaking a SAS connector I got to this monstrosity.

image.png.45af1191c9f7d3f19737de21cd9de9d3.pngimage.png.492d44c76a501b0202a3b75d085f284d.png

This is a 3,1, and each GPU gets a CPU and a Ram bank.  Currently chatting with someone at xidax about options to replace this but actually have modern things.  I don't trust myself to build something that will reliably work, so often I like to hack prebuilds like Mac's or Dell's or HP's so I don't have to deal with this big mess of random incompatible crap.  Its easier for me to start in the middle and find the end of each side and make my own solution.

But, I see a problem.  We're about to have some weird economic flux, and even now, GPU's are way out of whack.  Personally, I am running a baseline mac pro with full ram (64GB) and the GPU's are doing the heavy tasks.  I can probably build machines like this with older GPU's and set them up to be streaming and editing appliances.  What would be better though is making documentation so people can do it at home.

I wanted to start a project that was forum based.  Yeah eventually it would move away from a forum, but I would need community members who were interested in helping do tests and who were interested in tinkering with older hardware.  The "Computer Reclaim Project".  Basically, show people how to jank CORRECTLY and not blow stuff up.  Learn the physics of how things work so they know, if I do this, this will explode.  If I set this up this way, then it works.  Etc.

Basically, take machines, test random stuff throughout the ages of hardware that are available, and make a big cross compatibility list.

I'll bet not many people know PowerMac G5's make amazing FFMPEG machines, or PS3's for that matter, or that they could take their nintendo switch and run ubuntu on it and use it for school.  Like, lots of cost savings all over the place.  And people just.... throw money around.  I find it silly.

If you want an idea of how I think, this video shows off a cool product.  Whoever invented it, I think is an absolute genius.

https://youtu.be/v8tjA8VyfvU

Basically, make a forum space for maker-like projects, bothe hardware and software.  Some of us want to show our "Lab's" off too 😉

So what does the hacking title and stuff have to do with the rest of the post? Was that just to get attention? 

If you want to make a post to talk with users about sharing ideas and experience in tinkering with hardware, do so.

No need to do two for one, or have other stuff in the OP for attention grabbing. If that was the intention.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

30 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So what does the hacking title and stuff have to do with the rest of the post? Was that just to get attention? 

If you want to make a post to talk with users about sharing ideas and experience in tinkering with hardware, do so.

No need to do two for one, or have other stuff in the OP for attention grabbing. If that was the intention.

No.  I'm trying to figure out where a project post like my Reclaim Project would go if I put it here.... and there doesn't seem to be a good place for it.

Like put it under the Hardware Banner or something.  Just an idea.

5 minutes ago, Aremis said:

No.  I'm trying to figure out where a project post like my Reclaim Project would go if I put it here.... and there doesn't seem to be a good place for it.

Like put it under the Hardware Banner or something.  Just an idea.

There isn't a sub forum here for that specifically, at least to my knowledge. You could try starting a post in Hobby Electronics where you can have users reply tips and techniques for stuff or at least experiences with it. I think something like that would work there, but really you'd need to direct message a mod or wait for one to reply here to get an idea of where to actually start a post of that type. There isn't really an option to make a whole new dedicated tab just for it. If you make a post and it takes off and becomes popular it could become pinned, but you'll need to figure this out with staff.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

26 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There isn't a sub forum here for that specifically, at least to my knowledge. You could try starting a post in Hobby Electronics where you can have users reply tips and techniques for stuff or at least experiences with it. I think something like that would work there, but really you'd need to direct message a mod or wait for one to reply here to get an idea of where to actually start a post of that type. There isn't really an option to make a whole new dedicated tab just for it. If you make a post and it takes off and becomes popular it could become pinned, but you'll need to figure this out with staff.

Well my point in bringing up a subforum was hmmm...  Would anyone else want this?  I guess I didn't word it correctly but... eh I could retry I guess.

Also agree.  No way to just boop a new section for just one thread.  If theres a temporary place, cool.  If other people have stuff they wanna do, someone speak now or forever hold yur peace I guess, lol.

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

You could try starting a post in Hobby Electronics where you can have users reply tips and techniques for stuff or at least experiences with it. I think something like that would work there

Yup.

1 hour ago, Aremis said:

Well my point in bringing up a subforum was hmmm...  Would anyone else want this?  I guess I didn't word it correctly but... eh I could retry I guess.

Also agree.  No way to just boop a new section for just one thread.  If theres a temporary place, cool.  If other people have stuff they wanna do, someone speak now or forever hold yur peace I guess, lol.

Pick the subforum that seems best suited, and make a megathread. Blogs also exist, though they're not used much compared to the main forums.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 hours ago, Aremis said:

Basically, take machines, test random stuff throughout the ages of hardware that are available, and make a big cross compatibility list.

I'll bet not many people know PowerMac G5's make amazing FFMPEG machines, or PS3's for that matter, or that they could take their nintendo switch and run ubuntu on it and use it for school.  Like, lots of cost savings all over the place.  And people just.... throw money around.  I find it silly.

If you want an idea of how I think, this video shows off a cool product.  Whoever invented it, I think is an absolute genius.

https://youtu.be/v8tjA8VyfvU

Basically, make a forum space for maker-like projects, bothe hardware and software.  Some of us want to show our "Lab's" off too 😉

What you describe kind of sounds like it'd fit in Hobby Electronics, as has been mentioned. And some of what you suggest could also be in Build Logs, Guides and Tutorials, or New Builds and Planning depending on the specific topic / idea.

However, I could envision a new sub-forum under The Workshop called something like Makerspace. There isn't really a sub-forum that properly encompasses PC hardware modding and tweaking, custom hackery and "off-label" electronics uses, other DIY projects, 3D printing, etc... They'd all be split up into all the specific individual categories, which would make referencing things or discovering ideas harder.

Hobby Electronics is close, but personally, when I think of "hobby electronics," I think of RC cars, drones, circuit boards, electronics repair/soldering. For something like Makerspace, I'd associate it more with computer-centric projects. And now that I think about it, I kind of feel that Hobby Electronics should be under The Workshop category rather than Consumer Electronics.

Perhaps moving it and calling it Hobby Electronics and Makerspace instead would be sufficient to encapsulate all of the above, and provide the least disruption to the forum, while providing a "new" hub for the community to begin populating.

3 hours ago, divito said:

Perhaps moving it and calling it Hobby Electronics and Makerspace instead would be sufficient to encapsulate all of the above, and provide the least disruption to the forum, while providing a "new" hub for the community to begin populating.

Great idea!  Also ye weird about the hobby elec.

But why what I'm doing DOESN'T fit under any of those is because... well its all of them.  Thats why a "muddy" topic needs a "Muddy" section, lol.

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Pick the subforum that seems best suited, and make a megathread. Blogs also exist, though they're not used much compared to the main forums.

Um..... yeah all of them seem not on vibe lol

Wendell lost all the users that would post in a "Hacker" board.  Whatever that might be.