Dolby Atmos on PC with speakers (Cavern)

Did a random search and stumbled upon Cavern1, 2. Has anyone tried this?

TL:DR of the video: Demo of Dolby Atmos sound trailer being decoded on the pc with the positional sound being animated in software

Since I only have a standard 5.1 setup, I can't test it's effectiveness. 

Source:

1: http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/

2: https://github.com/VoidXH/Cavern

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

You're going to find that most PC enthusiasts aren't using a surround sound system on their machines.  I used it for many years but when I moved 6 years ago I changed over to a desk setup and onto headphones.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

1. Youtube is in stereo so you're not getting a proper "atmos signal" You can still get a good sense of immersion if the content is well encoded though. 
2. You get diminishing returns at some point. More speakers/better codecs only go so far. People have a hard time positioning things in vertical space and we're more sensitive to things in front of us. Also 
3. I have a 7.1.4 set up (about as high as you can go without stupidly expensive processors). It's nice. 

Practically no one will be running a 27 channel (plus 5 subwoofers) set up as pictured in that demo. The Trinnov units commonly used for very high channel count set ups are $10,000+. The lowest cost high channel thing I'm aware of would be the 13 channel STR-AZ7000es for $3300 and a step above that the 15 channel Denon AVR-A1H at $6500. Outside of that you're hunting down used gear (not a bad idea, it'll probably work for 10-30 years and it's like half or a third the price). I'm personally waiting until I can get a 13 or 15 channel AVR for around $1000-1500ish and until them I'm riding out what I've got. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

5 hours ago, Psittac said:

You're going to find that most PC enthusiasts aren't using a surround sound system on their machines.  I used it for many years but when I moved 6 years ago I changed over to a desk setup and onto headphones.

Figures with your forum sig.

3 hours ago, cmndr said:

2. You get diminishing returns at some point. More speakers/better codecs only go so far. People have a hard time positioning things in vertical space and we're more sensitive to things in front of us. Also 
3. I have a 7.1.4 set up (about as high as you can go without stupidly expensive processors). It's nice. 

Still trying to figure out a way to mount height speakers for a 5.1.2 setup. I'm using a cobbled together 5.1 system so making that a solid setup would be a better upgrade path. 

Practically no one will be running a 27 channel (plus 5 subwoofers) set up as pictured in that demo. The Trinnov units commonly used for very high channel count set ups are $10,000+. The lowest cost high channel thing I'm aware of would be the 13 channel STR-AZ7000es for $3300 and a step above that the 15 channel Denon AVR-A1H at $6500. Outside of that you're hunting down used gear (not a bad idea, it'll probably work for 10-30 years and it's like half or a third the price). I'm personally waiting until I can get a 13 or 15 channel AVR for around $1000-1500ish and until them I'm riding out what I've got. 

Cheapest processor so far that I've seen was the Tone Winner AT-300 (Summit Hi-Fi USA) for US$1.4k supports 16 channels. Doubt many would go to the used market since its a niche brand. Still using a receiver that was released in 2007 that I bought used in 2012. The other way would be using an audio interface for audio engineers and pair that with an amp. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

15 hours ago, mononymous said:

Still trying to figure out a way to mount height speakers for a 5.1.2 setup. I'm using a cobbled together 5.1 system so making that a solid setup would be a better upgrade path. 

Cheapest processor so far that I've seen was the Tone Winner AT-300 (Summit Hi-Fi USA) for US$1.4k supports 16 channels. Doubt many would go to the used market since its a niche brand.

Small satellite speakers and wall mounts. Ideally ones you can angle. 

16 channels but 3 of them are subwoofers... which would make it a 13 channel AVR by most other definitions. Not necessarily a bad choice (I haven't researched enough to say one way or another) compared to the 13 channel STR-AZ7000es at $3300, but you would need separate amplification or to use speakers with built in amplification. For bass out you can usually get away with a single out (with a relatively high time offset) and a mini DSP to branch out to an arbitrary number of bass out. 

Researching MOAR CHANNELS is on my backlog for my own set up, it'd be wiser just to spend more time and energy enjoying what I have... maybe play some switch games on it, that sort of thing. 

On 2/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, mononymous said:

Since I only have a standard 5.1 setup, I can't test it's effectiveness. 

You absolutely can. Use the Driver, and move one rear to the center and another one to the ceiling. Select Cavern Driver as the render target in the converter or just play something. Actually I might just add the 4.1.1 layout, here we go.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:03 AM, cmndr said:

You can still get a good sense of immersion if the content is well encoded though.

The track is the official encoder's HRTF, it's actually Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

People have a hard time positioning things in vertical space and we're more sensitive to things in front of us.

Correct. Without visual aid, my test subjects had issues even on the Z axis.

I have a 7.1.4 set up (about as high as you can go without stupidly expensive processors).

I can do 7.1.6 with an 8 channel soundcard for $20. There are analog matrixing hacks, which are possible with Cavern. Sounds great, actually, but I can only do 5.1.4 at home, since the room is that small, but that's also with matrixing on the rear wall.

Practically no one will be running a 27 channel (plus 5 subwoofers) set up as pictured in that demo.

The Dolby decoding IC locks up at 16 channels, the super multichannel decoders like StormAudio just duplicate the surrounds. They never go beyond 16, only Dolby's own processors (and Cavern) can, but those are to be used in actual theaters.

The lowest cost high channel thing I'm aware of would be the 13 channel STR-AZ7000es for $3300

Focusrite 18i20 per every 10 channels for $600 with a PC. That's *very* hard to get working though.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:53 AM, mononymous said:

Still trying to figure out a way to mount height speakers for a 5.1.2 setup.

I recommend 5.1.2 front. It's the best entry (full movement on the front wall) and the rears are merged if you select that option. Your hearing is best on the front anyway.

5 minutes ago, VoidX said:

Focusrite 18i20 per every 10 channels for $600 with a PC. That's *very* hard to get working though.

By the time you've added on amplification, it's more expensive than a used SR6013 (11 channels + subwoofers) or similar and offers fewer channels.

Usually used, "not bad" AVRs are the way to go if there's a cost focus. Hard to beat mass production at volume. 

If you're referring to a path to getting ~20 channels via a lot of hackery, that could be a way forward. I'd need to do proper research so I wouldn't be speaking out of ignorance. 

1 minute ago, cmndr said:

Hard to beat mass production at volume. 

I agree. There's always a China way, but that's for super price sensitive guys like me. I made Cavern instead of just buying this stuff lol. Doesn't really worth the hassle to always find the best value though, life is short.

I'll have to look into it more. I skimmed this thread superficially and thought it was just an atmos demo. 
You're a level or 5 above me in terms of implementing this stuff (I pretty much just put gear near Dolby's recommended location and make some tweaks to get decent measurement results in REW and then run Audysey - most of my efforts go into getting a flat frequency response and picking out reasonably performant parts for my use case)