weird samsung TV remote

PcBeExpensive

I have a smart samsung tv (not sure on which one but its 75 inch) and ever since I got it (maybe a year ago) the remote has been weird. Sometimes it stops working and you need to turn the TV on and off again to make it work or sometimes you press it once and it acts like you have pressed it 10 times. Please help. I have already tried recconnecting it to the TV.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

those remotes are universal between higher end models. you should be able to replace it easily. 
I assume you already changed the batteries?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

I know I messed up the remote to one of my TVs while modifying it. I just hopped on eBay and ordered a new one, it was $6 new IIRC. You may have a peak on there and see how much yours is, it might not be much to try a new one.

2 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

those remotes are universal between higher end models. you should be able to replace it easily. 
I assume you already changed the batteries?

it is a smart remote. No batteries. Charges by solar and a usb c cable.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

I know I messed up the remote to one of my TVs while modifying it. I just hopped on eBay and ordered a new one, it was $6 new IIRC. You may have a peak on there and see how much yours is, it might not be much to try a new one.

I have not done anything with the TV.

My First PC

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I have not done anything with the TV.

I meant modifying the remote, but the point is many remotes are cheap. Yours sounds a bit fancier, but still worth a look to see if it's something cheap to replace.  If it's $6-8, it might be worth trying to verify that's not the problem?

it is a smart remote. No batteries. Charges by solar and a usb c cable.

I have this exact same remote. I'd look for replacements, otherwise maybe try factory resetting your TV? I had a problem with my older samsung smart TV with the remote turning off and on randomly, and the volume changing, and it worked for me. Good luck!

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

48 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

I have this exact same remote. I'd look for replacements, otherwise maybe try factory resetting your TV? I had a problem with my older samsung smart TV with the remote turning off and on randomly, and the volume changing, and it worked for me. Good luck!

ok I will look for replacements online!

My First PC

I know it doesn't answer your question, and I'm not a Samsung TV guy, but the way the remote gets charged is just cool. Not only does it have the little solar panel on the back, and the USB-C port, it also uses something called RF Harvesting, where it basically harvests energy from the different radio waves bouncing around your house like a tiny tiny wireless charger, and charges a capacitor, rather than a battery. Really cool.

If only it had a speaker to play a noise when you lose it, like the high end Sony ones do, then it would be basically perfect.

13 hours ago, seanondemand said:

I know it doesn't answer your question, and I'm not a Samsung TV guy, but the way the remote gets charged is just cool. Not only does it have the little solar panel on the back, and the USB-C port, it also uses something called RF Harvesting, where it basically harvests energy from the different radio waves bouncing around your house like a tiny tiny wireless charger, and charges a capacitor, rather than a battery. Really cool.

If only it had a speaker to play a noise when you lose it, like the high end Sony ones do, then it would be basically perfect.

wow. Thats straight up cool and smart. Thanks, IDC if It didn't help me out, I learned something cool.

My First PC

Probably not old enough but a common fault with TV remotes is silicon oil. The rubber hasn't had it baked out and it exudes all over the switch parts and the switch rubber. It looks like water in the remote but isn't.

I just had one to fix a couple of days ago. If it is a problem you need to pull it apart every week or so and clean it again, for a month or so.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:28 PM, RollyShed said:

Probably not old enough but a common fault with TV remotes is silicon oil. The rubber hasn't had it baked out and it exudes all over the switch parts and the switch rubber. It looks like water in the remote but isn't.

I just had one to fix a couple of days ago. If it is a problem you need to pull it apart every week or so and clean it again, for a month or so.

I don't think it will be easy to open.

My First PC

6 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I don't think it will be easy to open.

Quite easy to open. Put it in a vice, the join level with the top of the jaws. Hit it with a screwdriver and hammer, hit it along the join. That method opens most "non-opening" things.

13 minutes ago, RollyShed said:

Quite easy to open. Put it in a vice, the join level with the top of the jaws. Hit it with a screwdriver and hammer, hit it along the join. That method opens most "non-opening" things.

ok, but that does risk breaking the remote and I don't have a spare as of yet.

My First PC

ok, but that does risk breaking the remote

Only if you don't know how to fix electronics with a hammer. A skill from hitting things the right way for decades. 🙂 ... especially sealed laptop power supplies...

On 3/6/2023 at 7:21 PM, RollyShed said:

Only if you don't know how to fix electronics with a hammer. A skill from hitting things the right way for decades. 🙂 ... especially sealed laptop power supplies...

I could do it but I don't want to waste my time every week opening up a TV remote. I might as well buy a new remote.

My First PC

4 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I could do it but I don't want to waste my time every week opening up a TV remote. I might as well buy a new remote.

Arrh yes, more landfill and then buy another.... and then buy another....

Once it has been opened the first time it is easy every other time.

So you are happy to waste your time going to the shop to buy a new one but not to fix the one you have in a couple of minutes. Doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, RollyShed said:

Arrh yes, more landfill and then buy another.... and then buy another....

Once it has been opened the first time it is easy every other time.

So you are happy to waste your time going to the shop to buy a new one but not to fix the one you have in a couple of minutes. Doesn't make sense.

I can order of ebay? I don't see how opening the remote could fix the issues that I'm experiencing.

My First PC