Setting up router to use Cloudflare DNS

Lane
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
1 minute ago, Lane said:

Thanks for the replies! I am attaching the DHCP Server screenshot. How do I change it to use Cloudflare's DNS. Do I write 1.1.1.1 in DNS Server? What about WINS Server? Does 1.0.0.1 go there? My ISP is censoring which websites I can visit so I can tell if its working or not. I set up DNS server's manually on the desktop and I can access the websites, but my phone that is set to automatic cannot.

https://1.1.1.1/help tells me that the desktop is connected to 1.1.1.1 and AS Name is Cloudflare. On my phone though it says no connection to 1.1.1.1 and AS Name is my ISP. Both show that "Connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses" to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as Yes though.

Yes, change DNS to 1.1.1.1, that's what gets assigned as the DNS server to every machine that is set to automatically obtain an IP address. You should typically set every machine on the network to automatic when using DHCP.

You don't necessarily need 1.0.0.1 (it's a backup in case 1.1.1.1 isn't reachable). WINS is something else (and basically deprecated technology). Maybe it is simply used as the secondary DNS here, so you could try setting it to 1.0.0.1, just in case.

Hi so I am basically trying to setup router to use Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 DNS instead of doing it separately for each device on network. I tried searching online instructions but they are not very helpful. I fiddled in the router itself and changed WAN DNS Setting to manual and entered DNS servers there but it does not seem to work. I am attaching the screenshot of the router settings. It is ASUS RT-N66U model. Am I supposed to make some other changes as well?

Capture1.PNG

You need to change the DHCP settings for the LAN unless you want the devices to point to the router for DNS and then the router forwards to cloudflare.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You need to change the DHCP settings for the LAN unless you want the devices to point to the router for DNS and then the router forwards to cloudflare.

Can you tell me what are the changes I need to make? Sorry I am not exactly tech savvy, at least not in this field...

15 minutes ago, Lane said:

Can you tell me what are the changes I need to make? Sorry I am not exactly tech savvy, at least not in this field...

I would assume DHCP is hidden below "LAN". Try clicking on it and see if there's a tab called "DHCP". The DHCP server is what assigns IP addresses to the computers connected to the router. It also sets the DNS server these machines should use. Right now you've only changed the DNS server the router itself should use.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

14 minutes ago, Lane said:

Go to the LAN tab on the left, then at the top you should have a DHCP tab. In DHCP settings set the DNS servers to Cloudflare.

That said though, with how you currently have it set, devices should be using the router as a DNS server, which will then reach out to Cloudflare if it doesn't have the record cached.

Speaking of cache, you might have to purge the DNS cache on your PC if it doesn't look like it's using Cloudflare for sites you've already been to.

Just run this in a command line window:

ipconfig /flushdns

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thanks for the replies! I am attaching the DHCP Server screenshot. How do I change it to use Cloudflare's DNS. Do I write 1.1.1.1 in DNS Server? What about WINS Server? Does 1.0.0.1 go there? My ISP is censoring which websites I can visit so I can tell if its working or not. I set up DNS server's manually on the desktop and I can access the websites, but my phone that is set to automatic cannot.

https://1.1.1.1/help tells me that the desktop is connected to 1.1.1.1 and AS Name is Cloudflare. On my phone though it says no connection to 1.1.1.1 and AS Name is my ISP. Both show that "Connectivity to Resolver IP Addresses" to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as Yes though.

Capture2.PNG

1 minute ago, Lane said:

Yes, change DNS to 1.1.1.1, that's what gets assigned as the DNS server to every machine that is set to automatically obtain an IP address. You should typically set every machine on the network to automatic when using DHCP.

You don't necessarily need 1.0.0.1 (it's a backup in case 1.1.1.1 isn't reachable). WINS is something else (and basically deprecated technology). Maybe it is simply used as the secondary DNS here, so you could try setting it to 1.0.0.1, just in case.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply