REAL Phone Water Cooling

mynameGeoff

Thanks to OnePlus for sponsoring today’s video! Check out the OnePlus 11 Concept at https://www.oneplus.com/us/11-concept

Our phones, be it iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or Google Pixel, are pretty dang powerful. But as our desktop GPU friends have shown us, all that power, means a lot of heat. So what’s a smartphone to do? Well, maybe watercooling? OnePlus has given us a chance to look at their liquid cooled OnePlus Concept that makes use of their Active CryoFlux cooling technology. Could this be a game changer? Only one way to find out.

Buy OnePlus 11 5G: https://geni.us/AaIS8

alert slider a oneplus innovation? the original iPhone had it. lmfao

She/Her

Kinda funny that this sponsorship went through considering that Linus was ranting about oneplus shitty software and complete ignorance of issues in their phones

On 2/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, gudvinr said:

Kinda funny that this sponsorship went through considering that Linus was ranting about oneplus shitty software and complete ignorance of issues in their phones

He also pretty much stated that this phone had issues. So I guess he agreed because he was allowed to bash it if he found any particular reason to do so?

But I do have one little input for the thermal measurement, based on my own fuck ups from the past: avoid using paper-based tapes. They sometimes contain fillers to achieve particular colours, and these can throw off the emissivity and give incorrect temperature readings. While it's fine for temperature distributions, it can give you some issues with absolute temperature measurements. And there's no way to know without calibrating. The most reliable solution we found was kapton tape, has about the same emissivity of 0.95 as the masking tape but it's pretty damn uniform. 🙂  The conductive carbon tape used for SEM/FIB sample preparation also works like a charm for small stuff, but that ain't really practical for large surfaces.

22 hours ago, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

He also pretty much stated that this phone had issues. So I guess he agreed because he was allowed to bash it if he found any particular reason to do so?

But I do have one little input for the thermal measurement, based on my own fuck ups from the past: avoid using paper-based tapes. They sometimes contain fillers to achieve particular colours, and these can throw off the emissivity and give incorrect temperature readings. While it's fine for temperature distributions, it can give you some issues with absolute temperature measurements. And there's no way to know without calibrating. The most reliable solution we found was kapton tape, has about the same emissivity of 0.95 as the masking tape but it's pretty damn uniform. 🙂  The conductive carbon tape used for SEM/FIB sample preparation also works like a charm for small stuff, but that ain't really practical for large surfaces.

Completely agree with not using paper-based tapes. In fact, I'm experimenting with a very thin coating of Black 2.0 (paint in general, with a coat layer of 0.2mm or less has a very low thermal resistance - 0.001m^2K/W).

6 hours ago, LTTMobileJake said:

Completely agree with not using paper-based tapes. In fact, I'm experimenting with a very thin coating of Black 2.0 (paint in general, with a coat layer of 0.2mm or less has a very low thermal resistance - 0.001m^2K/W).

That definitely sounds like a winner if you can apply it. I've also been meaning to try one of those AESUB vanishing sprays used for 3D scanners, have you tried those? ( https://aesub.com/en/products/ )

All functionality and innovation aside, I REALLY like the aesthetic of the bubbles inside of the phone. Reminds me of those old bubble lights you used to see on christmas trees in the 90s.