Help a rusty guy with a £500 non gaming pc?

Hello,

The last time I built a PC was back in the Haswell days. So I'm quite rusty.

I need a mini PC that can essentially do dropbox backups, act as a network drive, do video calls and run presentations. Don't need anything graphic intensive.

What are your opinions on my current spec?

I want it to be around £500, ideally lower but can be slightly over.

SPEC

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 × 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 PM Internal Hard Drive
  • Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 PCle 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (NEED TO CHANGE DUE TO PSU)
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 400 W 80+ Gold Certified AT Power Supply

6 minutes ago, BtchImSway said:

Hello,

The last time I built a PC was back in the Haswell days. So I'm quite rusty.

I need a mini PC that can essentially do dropbox backups, act as a network drive, do video calls and run presentations. Don't need anything graphic intensive.

I want it to be around £500, ideally lower but can be slightly over.

SPEC

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 × 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400 PM Internal Hard Drive
  • Crucial P2 250 GB M.2-2280 PCle 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (NEED TO CHANGE DUE TO PSU)
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 400 W 80+ Gold Certified AT Power Supply

depedning on where ur bying from u can easely change the p2 for the p3 at the same price or better for more snapy exsperinace

29 minutes ago, BtchImSway said:

Then i highly recommend you getting a proper mini PC or even an x86 based SBCs like a Lattepanda if youre feeling ludicrous. Any specific why on building your own?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

27 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Then i highly recommend you getting a proper mini PC or even an x86 based SBCs like a Lattepanda if youre feeling ludicrous. Any specific why on building your own?

I was thinking an intel nuc but didn't seem worth the price saying I need something cheapish and I know how to build a pc easily. 

Thanks I'll look into this for sure

How about this?

• Ryzen 5400G or even 3200G 
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • 16GB Team Vulcan
  • CX/CXM or bequiet can be sufficeint but i'll go with 450W (400W okay)
  • current choices of HDD and SSD its okay

but like @GOATWDsaid can get better p3 depending on location.
and as @SorryClairethe Lattepanda also sufficient. the best theyhave is 279USD with 8gigs of ram. and very smoll pc.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Just now, Wolfycapt said:

and as @SorryClairethe Lattepanda also sufficient. the best theyhave is 279USD with 8gigs of ram. and very smoll pc.

Wouldnt be my first recommendation, hence why i think its ludicrous to daily it. Honestly besides Pi 400 or an SBC running Kodi/LibreELEC on a TV, i see SBC dailies as challenge rather than fascination for heavy users like me. But yeah, i see the appeal for some.

I was rather giving example to make sure OP buys the right thing for the right price. If OP doesnt need upgradability and there's something better value at lower price, id go for that.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Why do you want a hard drive? Which will be your boot drive?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Why do you want a hard drive? Which will be your boot drive?

hard drive is bulk storage that also backs up to the cloud

Your use case seems like it isn't going to require much power or storage or is there something we should know? If so, you might need a larger SSD.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂