BMCappelletti

Hi everyone.

Current system:

- Corsair 4000D Airflow

- Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

- Ryzen 9 5900X

- Asus RTX 3080 Strix

- 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz

- EVGA Supernova G2 850W Gold PSU (model 220-G2-0850-XR)

- Corsair H100i v2

Got my hands, for a very good price, on a i9 12900k CPU and Kraken Z73 cooler, so decided to do the jump. I know I won't get a lot more, but will be for a minimal cost.

Already ordered a Aorus Z790 Elite AX board and 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator 5600MHz RAM.

My only doubt is: my PSU is working just fine, but I have it since 2014. I can get my hands, also for a good price, on a Corsair HX750 Platinum PSU (model CP-9020137-WW), with full 10 year warranty.

It's probably better to have the extra 100 watts PSU. But maybe the "renewed" warranty could make the Corsair PSU a better alternative. One never know what can happen.

I won't do any overclock and, lately, not gaming at all, due to work and personal stuff.

So, would you replace the almost 10 year old EVGA PSU for the Corsair one, or keep it?

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, BMCappelletti said:

Hi everyone.

Current system:

- Corsair 4000D Airflow

- Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

- Ryzen 9 5900X

- Asus RTX 3080 Strix

- 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz

- EVGA Supernova G2 850W Gold PSU (model 220-G2-0850-XR)

- Corsair H100i v2

Got my hands, for a very good price, on a i9 12900k CPU and Kraken Z73 cooler, so decided to do the jump. I know I won't get a lot more, but will be for a minimal cost.

Already ordered a Aorus Z790 Elite AX board and 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator 5600MHz RAM.

My only doubt is: my PSU is working just fine, but I have it since 2014. I can get my hands, also for a good price, on a Corsair HX750 Platinum PSU (model CP-9020137-WW), with full 10 year warranty.

It's probably better to have the extra 100 watts PSU. But maybe the "renewed" warranty could make the Corsair PSU a better alternative. One never know what can happen.

I won't do any overclock and, lately, not gaming at all, due to work and personal stuff.

So, would you replace the almost 10 year old EVGA PSU for the Corsair one, or keep it?

Thank you.

Well... Its been working for 10 years so it should work for a few more.  I would however swap it with the Corsair HX750, Its new, it has warranty, and PSU's is not something you want to 'gamble on'.  Can you get a decent price on a 850w RM850x or something?

Personally, I wouldn't run a 3080 on less than 850W due to its power spikes.  But then again, a PSU approaching 10 years old is not guaranteed to handle them either, so its a difficult one.

Though given everything is working right now, I'd probably not be overly concerned, just keep an eye on discounts for a good replacement.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Yeah, I knew this was a hard one.

I know Asus recommends at least 750W for the 3080 Strix, so the Corsair would be just "fine". As the EVGA would be "better".

From Gold to Platinum I don't think I would get much more. So the wattage is my real concern.

Let's see if anyone else has different inputs.

Thanx for the replies.

16 minutes ago, BMCappelletti said:

Yeah, I knew this was a hard one.

I know Asus recommends at least 750W for the 3080 Strix, so the Corsair would be just "fine". As the EVGA would be "better".

From Gold to Platinum I don't think I would get much more. So the wattage is my real concern.

Let's see if anyone else has different inputs.

Thanx for the replies.

The EVGA one did last this long so it should keep on going for a while longer.  If anything were faulty with the PSU it would have died years ago.

15 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The EVGA one did last this long so it should keep on going for a while longer.  If anything were faulty with the PSU it would have died years ago.

I hope so.

My new parts will arrive on a couple of weeks, so I still have time to get a different PSU, if some good deal shows up.

Thanx again.

3 minutes ago, BMCappelletti said:

I hope so.

My new parts will arrive on a couple of weeks, so I still have time to get a different PSU, if some good deal shows up.

Thanx again.

Of course. And if you can't find a deal until then you can just use the EVGA PSU until you do.  Its a working PSU so no immediate rush.

45 minutes ago, BMCappelletti said:

I hope so.

Thanx again.

I completely forgot, I'm currently running my 3080 on only an RM650x (thought it was an 850) with a 12700f, so clearly my previous comment was not actually true lol.  Granted, I don't game on this machine but I do software video encoding at the same time as running Folding@Home on the GPU.  In comparison when I had it on a Cooler Master 650W running F@H, if I tried to do AI upscaling at the same time it would shut down.  It really depends on how you load it and how good your PSU handles the spikes.

I do still prefer to buy higher than I need though, got an RM1000x on my gaming rig for a 4090, which had zero issues on a 850x - I just needed to put that in my AI box and found the 1000 for not much more than an 850 so figured it was better for the increased power efficiency.  It all depends on the price difference really.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, BMCappelletti said:

My only doubt is: my PSU is working just fine, but I have it since 2014.

You still have almost 2 years on the G2 warranty. It was considered an excellent model when it first came out. While it may be a little dated, it it still a Tier A model. Might as well keep using it. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.