Certain keys on my laptop aren't working, I think there may be more to it.

tinglemask

Last week, I was using my laptop when certain keys started not functioning correctly. A quater of the keys weren't working, yet they worked if you pressed incredibly hard. I then restarted the laptop and the keys started working again.

But then today, the keys started not working again. And this time it was more keys and once I restarted the laptops a few times, the problem wasn't fixed. What do I do? Is this a software or hardware problem?

4 minutes ago, tinglemask said:

Last week, I was using my laptop when certain keys started not functioning correctly. A quater of the keys weren't working, yet they worked if you pressed incredibly hard. I then restarted the laptop and the keys started working again.

But then today, the keys started not working again. And this time it was more keys and once I restarted the laptops a few times, the problem wasn't fixed. What do I do? Is this a software or hardware problem?

seems like a hardware problem but then restarting it fixes it? That then sounds like a software problem. It's probably not a software problem because what software problem could do this? is this an older laptop, I had a similar issue where some keys just stoped working on a 6-7 year old decently used laptop.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

3 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

seems like a hardware problem but then restarting it fixes it? That then sounds like a software problem. It's probably not a software problem because what software problem could do this? is this an older laptop, I had a similar issue where some keys just stoped working on a 6-7 year old decently used laptop.

I bought the laptop new at the start of 2021. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix it? I use this laptop for school and I really can't afford a new one. Could it be a driver problem?

Just now, tinglemask said:

I bought the laptop now at the start of 2021. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix it? I use this laptop for school and I really can't afford a new one. Could it be a driver problem?

what driver issue could make keys not work unless you press them really hard (P.S im not trying to be rude, IK it sounds rude)? Do you have a tech repair shop near you?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

7 minutes ago, tinglemask said:

I bought the laptop new at the start of 2021. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix it? I use this laptop for school and I really can't afford a new one. Could it be a driver problem?

Turn it off, unplug, if removing the battery is possible, remove it and hold the power button down for 30 sec. After that turn it upside down and hit the keys, let whatever crap in the keys fall, if persists, use warranty.

7 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

what driver issue could make keys not work unless you press them really hard (P.S im not trying to be rude, IK it sounds rude)? Do you have a tech repair shop near you?

Yeah sorry I was trying to check before I go look at the hardware side. I think there might be a tech repair shop, but lots of them charge a lot and don't get the best reputation.

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

Turn it off, unplug, if removing the battery is possible, remove it and hold the power button down for 30 sec. After that turn it upside down and hit the keys, let whatever crap in the keys fall, if persists, use warranty.

That doesn't sound that of a good idea not to be rude. I don't think I have a warranty but I'll check.

4 minutes ago, tinglemask said:

That doesn't sound that of a good idea not to be rude. I don't think I have a warranty but I'll check.

OK, you install a new driver then 😂

50 minutes ago, lafrente said:

please explain how removing the battery and holding the power button would help? All this does is remove all static electricity from the laptop. Why would you turn it upside down and hit the keys? Not trying to be rude.

My First PC

43 minutes ago, lafrente said:

OK, you install a new driver then 😂

what would a new driver do mate? Stop putting in useless comments.

My First PC

39 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

what would a new driver do mate? Stop putting in useless comments.

Wooooosh

1 hour ago, tinglemask said:

What I think they are trying to say is that there might be some crap under the keys that is causing some issues. 

Is it always the same keys not working? Are they in the same area? 

From what I am hearing it might be a contact issue where restarting the laptop might allow some things to cool down and make contact again. Difficult to say though. 

Can you also take photos of the laptop keyboard? Just to get an impression of the general state of the laptop. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

2 hours ago, tinglemask said:

If you can't find a solution to the problem, use an external keyboard and see if it still does this?

24 minutes ago, creesch said:

What I think they are trying to say is that there might be some crap under the keys that is causing some issues. 

Is it always the same keys not working? Are they in the same area? 

From what I am hearing it might be a contact issue where restarting the laptop might allow some things to cool down and make contact again. Difficult to say though. 

Can you also take photos of the laptop keyboard? Just to get an impression of the general state of the laptop. 

If there was a contact issue how does restarting it resolve the issue. This is the perfect example of someone not reading what the problem is and jumping to answer.

My First PC

10 minutes ago, WackySpace said:

If you can't find a solution to the problem, use an external keyboard and see if it still does this?

yep, try with an external keyboard, then we will know for sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue.

My First PC

7 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

If there was a contact issue how does restarting it resolve the issue. This is the perfect example of someone not reading what the problem is and jumping to answer.

Dude, you are doing the same thing. Restarting it can be just enough to have something cool down, which I did mention and you didn't read. Not to mention that your multiple replies are not helpful either for OP and just add a bunch of extra noise to the conversation.

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

1 minute ago, creesch said:

Dude, you are doing the same thing. Restarting it can be just enough to have something cool down, which I did mention and you didn't read. Not to mention that your multiple replies are not helpful either for OP and just add a bunch of extra noise to the conversation.

please tell me what can cool down in the 30 seconds it takes for a computer to restart? And how would this contact issue be made, what is causing it? Also how does something cooling down resolve contact issues?

My First PC

Have you checked the ribbon cable yet?

I sometimes wonder how we went to space on only 4KB RAM, and we cannot fix a simple issue.

2 minutes ago, creesch said:

also I never said anything about the restarting it? I never said it would not work.

My First PC

2 hours ago, tinglemask said:

Yeah sorry I was trying to check before I go look at the hardware side. I think there might be a tech repair shop, but lots of them charge a lot and don't get the best reputation.

maybe you can try to get them to lower the price, can you ask them to just check out the laptop and tell you whats wrong?

My First PC

There should also be warranty if it doesnt fix.

My First PC

12 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

please tell me what can cool down in the 30 seconds it takes for a computer to restart? And how would this contact issue be made, what is causing it? Also how does something cooling down resolve contact issues?

Sigh... I didn't say it would resolve anything. Just that it can hint at a contact issue as part of the debug process... Anyway, to further prevent more noise in this thread this will be me final reply unless OP specifically has a question.

9 hours ago, creesch said:

Sigh... I didn't say it would resolve anything. Just that it can hint at a contact issue as part of the debug process... Anyway, to further prevent more noise in this thread this will be me final reply unless OP specifically has a question.

ok. Then I won't reply to anything.

My First PC