Is a 750w psu enough for an rtx 3050 and rtx 3060 ti in sli? Read description

Parzival120

Hey, so I am looking to upgrade my system. My current rig has a amd ryzen 5 5600x with precision boost overdrive enabled, I have 2x16gb 3200mhz ram, 2x1tb m.2 ssd’s, rtx 3050 oc (it’s all I could get during the shortage, don’t make fun of me) 1x2tb 2.5 inch sata ssd, and lastly a seasonic focus gm 750w gold psu. I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to an rtx 3060 ti. But the thing is, I do a ton of work in blender. I thought to myself, “why don’t I just put the 3060 ti in with my 3050 for faster render times?” I wanted to know, with my current rig with an added rtx 3060 ti will my 750w psu be enough?

3050 and 3060TI are incompatible for SLI. The only 3000 series cards that had SLI were the 3090. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

30 minutes ago, Parzival120 said:

Hey, so I am looking to upgrade my system. My current rig has a amd ryzen 5 5600x with precision boost overdrive enabled, I have 2x16gb 3200mhz ram, 2x1tb m.2 ssd’s, rtx 3050 oc (it’s all I could get during the shortage, don’t make fun of me) 1x2tb 2.5 inch sata ssd, and lastly a seasonic focus gm 750w gold psu. I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to an rtx 3060 ti. But the thing is, I do a ton of work in blender. I thought to myself, “why don’t I just put the 3060 ti in with my 3050 for faster render times?” I wanted to know, with my current rig with an added rtx 3060 ti will my 750w psu be enough?

a 750w + gold is more than enough for 3060 ti and for 3050 , seasonic , msi , gigabyte and corsair , be quiet and lian li would probably be the best choices for psu. 

Just now, --SID-- said:

LOL

bruh??? theres literally no brand that makes pc components that doesnt make bad products tf?

So... there's no SLI between those cards.  AND even if it was possible, there's so few games that actually support SLI that it's not worth enabling SLI. 

Basically, SLI is deprecated.

RTX 3050 consumes under 150 watts , RTX 3060ti consumes up to around 200w , with small bursts up to maybe 230w

The 5600x won't go above 100 watts, and the rest of your components don't go over 50w

So even if you would manage to use both video cards and the cpu to the maximum, your computer would consume around 600 watts, making your current 750w power supply adequate.

Blender won't make the video cards consume as much power as gaming, so each card would consume less than the values above.

I don't know if you can make blender use both video cards at the same time (and you wouldn't need SLI for that) ,  but you could potentially run two instances of blender, each configured to use a different video card.

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

So... there's no SLI between those cards.  AND even if it was possible, there's so few games that actually support SLI that it's not worth enabling SLI. 

RTX 3050 consumes under 150 watts , RTX 3060ti consumes up to around 200w , with small bursts up to maybe 230w

The 5600x won't go above 100 watts, and the rest of your components don't go over 50w

So even if you would manage to use both video cards and the cpu to the maximum, your computer would consume around 600 watts, making your current 750w power supply adequate.

Blender won't make the video cards consume as much power as gaming, so each card would consume less than the values above.

I don't know if you can make blender use both video cards at the same time (and you wouldn't need SLI for that) ,  but you could potentially run two instances of blender, each configured to use a different video card.

I know you can use 2 gpus in blender. But do you think it’s at least possible for me to use them both at the same time without an nvlink?

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Wait, I saw this on my motherboards website. Does this mean it won’t work well?

5784B75D-C72D-4CF3-B465-B186432D8A1C.jpeg

It just means the pci-e slot will be downgraded to only 1 pci-e lane, IF one of the pci-e x1 slots are used... otherwise you get the default number of pci-e lanes however many (probably 4 lanes)

For blender, I don't think you would notice lack of pci-e lanes, 4 lanes would probably be plenty.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It just means the pci-e slot will be downgraded to only 1 pci-e lane, IF one of the pci-e x1 slots are used... otherwise you get the default number of pci-e lanes however many (probably 4 lanes)

For blender, I don't think you would notice lack of pci-e lanes, 4 lanes would probably be plenty.

Take a look at this post for more details