Swap US to EU power cord for laptop adapter?

maartendc

Hello all,

My wife just bought a new laptop in the US (Framework laptop), since it is not available in Belgium. The laptop obviously came with a US power cord, but they sell this laptop in the EU market as well (just not Belgium).

Can we just swap out the cord on the adapter to a EU power cord? It is just a pretty standard looking three pronged power cord that goes into the adapter (see picture attached).  The adapter says 100V-240V - 50-60Hz on it. So I assume that is compatible with the EU power grid?

I was looking to buy this cord: https://business.alternate.be/goobay/Stroomkabel-Notebook/html/product/1177934

I assume all these cords are interchangeable, or is there anything else to look out for?

Finally, can you swap USB-C chargers between laptops? Can we also use a Macbook USB-C charger on a Framework laptop powered via USB-C?

Thanks a lot!

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 12.55.20.png

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Hello all,

My wife just bought a new laptop in the US (Framework laptop), since it is not available in Belgium. The laptop obviously came with a US power cord, but they sell this laptop in the EU market as well (just not Belgium).

Can we just swap out the cord on the adapter to a EU power cord? It is just a pretty standard looking three pronged power cord that goes into the adapter (see picture attached).  The adapter says 100V-240V - 50-60Hz on it. So I assume that is compatible with the EU power grid?

I was looking to buy this cord: https://business.alternate.be/goobay/Stroomkabel-Notebook/html/product/1177934

I assume all these cords are interchangeable, or is there anything else to look out for?

You are correct with the cable choice. 

Not knowledgeable about Apple chargers and USB PD compatibility, so someone else can answer that part.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

6 minutes ago, maartendc said:

The adapter says 100V-240V - 50-60Hz on it. So I assume that is compatible with the EU power grid?

Yes. I'll bet they sold that same exact power brick in the EU, bundled with an appropriate power cable for the outlets there. (And in Australia bundled with their wall cord, and Japan bundled with their wall cord...)

Worldwide power supplies are thankfully the norm, and have been for many years. It's the old-school desktop power supplies with the 120/240 switch on the back that you have to be careful with. They'll go pop when you plug them into 240 with the switch on 120. Ask me how I know.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

20 minutes ago, mononymous said:

You are correct with the cable choice. 

Not knowledgeable about Apple chargers and USB PD compatibility, so someone else can answer that part.

Alright, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

13 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yes. I'll bet they sold that same exact power brick in the EU, bundled with an appropriate power cable for the outlets there. (And in Australia bundled with their wall cord, and Japan bundled with their wall cord...)

Worldwide power supplies are thankfully the norm, and have been for many years. It's the old-school desktop power supplies with the 120/240 switch on the back that you have to be careful with. They'll go pop when you plug them into 240 with the switch on 120. Ask me how I know.

OK, yes I thought so, just wanted to make sure. I've actually used the same power adapter for my Macbook in the US and EU without issue, it did not even occur to me that it might NOT work 😅.

Thanks a lot!