Intel 10700k will not go faster than base clock

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@Derminian

Either the BIOS or Windows 11 is not setting your CPU up correctly. ThrottleStop can probably fix this problem but you would need to disable the Windows 11 Virtualization Based Security features. ThrottleStop needs direct access to registers within the CPU. This is not possible when VBS and Windows core isolation memory integrity are enabled. 

https://beebom.com/how-disable-virtualization-based-security-vbs-windows-11/

After disabling these features, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This file can sometimes become corrupted when you run ThrottleStop with VBS or memory integrity enabled. 

Here is where the problem lies. Your computer is setting the turbo ratios to 38. When running any stress test, this will limit your CPU to a maximum multiplier of 38. This is what limits the CPU to 3800 MHz. You might be able to set these values correctly in ThrottleStop. You might need to disable VBS first for the new values to be written to the correct CPU register. I would be hesitant to use ThrottleStop when VBS is enabled. Most of the FIVR settings will not work correctly with VBS enabled. 

image.png.fc05bebb78cd76e69bd4837b483576cd.png

I am not sure if the BIOS has screwed things up or perhaps Windows 11 has. If you cannot fix this in the BIOS, running ThrottleStop with VBS disabled is your only option to get your CPU running like it should. If you make any changes in the BIOS, you will need to delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop. This allows ThrottleStop to read the BIOS changes you have made without using any previous values that you saved while using ThrottleStop.

Are you a fan of Windows 11 yet? I am sure lots of people have issues like this. Many never realize the reason why their computer runs like a slug after the "upgrade".

Good afternoon all,

This is my first time posting on the forum. I have noticed a problem with my CPU not boosting over the base clock. 3.8Ghz all core. I know in the past I have seen it turbo to 5.1Ghz on some cores. I have also overclocked this CPU before as much as getting 5.0GHZ on all cores. I can not get the CPU to boost at all or get it to go above the base clock on any core. I plenty of thermal head room(Sitting at about 30C) on all cores. I have tried applying an overclock with Intel Extreme tuning and it will still not go above 3.8Ghz. I have also updated my bios to the latest version. Also when there I checked that turbo was allowed in the bios and it was. I have noticed via ThrottleStop that my C0% is 99.9 under load and the rest are at 0. I will attach a photo. I can't find much online for a fix. I have tried changing power plans, restoring power plans, changing the intelppm start reg key to 4.

I am at a loss on a fix for this, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, Derminian

Edit: HWINFO shows clock speed at 800Mhz. This is only after an update to HWINFO, it was showing the base speed prior to update. 

System Specs:

Gigabyte z490 Aurous Master

Intel I7-10700k

Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080 Eagle

Screenshot 2023-02-16 142810.png

Screenshot 2023-02-16 143431.png

Screenshot 2023-02-16 143559.png

what is the frequency when you throw a workload at it?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

workload

His ThrottleStop screenshot shows that the CPU is fully loaded.

@Derminian

Can you post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows? There might be a clue hiding in there. Also open Limit Reasons while your CPU is loaded and see if any items are lighting up red which indicates throttling. Exit HWiNFO when using Limit Reasons. 

Have a look in the TPL window. Check the Speed Shift box and make sure Speed Shift Max is set to the suggested value. Also check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window. 

Set IntelPPM back to the default value. 

What CPU cooler do you have?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

23 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

what is the frequency when you throw a workload at it?

@Mister WoofThank you for the response the capture was done during a ThrottleStop Benchmark. 

19 hours ago, Vishera said:

What CPU cooler do you have?

@Vishera Thank you for the response.  I currently have a CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX AIO

21 hours ago, unclewebb said:

His ThrottleStop screenshot shows that the CPU is fully loaded.

@Derminian

Can you post screenshots of the FIVR and TPL windows? There might be a clue hiding in there. Also open Limit Reasons while your CPU is loaded and see if any items are lighting up red which indicates throttling. Exit HWiNFO when using Limit Reasons. 

Have a look in the TPL window. Check the Speed Shift box and make sure Speed Shift Max is set to the suggested value. Also check the MMIO Lock box near the top right of the TPL window. 

Set IntelPPM back to the default value. 

@unclewebbThank you for the response, I have attached the photos you asked for. The FIVR and TPL screenshots are on idle. Under the limits section under a Prime 95 stress test I see no red. The SpeedShift was already checked but I did check and apply the MIMO lock box. Unfortunately it still is capping out at 3.8Ghz. 

image.png.7ce1bf7bccaa671864782fef944e59ba.pngimage.png.23d0202e2022175c8efd054f1f379aac.pngimage.png.9a00758d3c83205e3f67ba4f3cf31230.png

image.png

@Derminian

Either the BIOS or Windows 11 is not setting your CPU up correctly. ThrottleStop can probably fix this problem but you would need to disable the Windows 11 Virtualization Based Security features. ThrottleStop needs direct access to registers within the CPU. This is not possible when VBS and Windows core isolation memory integrity are enabled. 

After disabling these features, reboot and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. This file can sometimes become corrupted when you run ThrottleStop with VBS or memory integrity enabled. 

Here is where the problem lies. Your computer is setting the turbo ratios to 38. When running any stress test, this will limit your CPU to a maximum multiplier of 38. This is what limits the CPU to 3800 MHz. You might be able to set these values correctly in ThrottleStop. You might need to disable VBS first for the new values to be written to the correct CPU register. I would be hesitant to use ThrottleStop when VBS is enabled. Most of the FIVR settings will not work correctly with VBS enabled. 

I am not sure if the BIOS has screwed things up or perhaps Windows 11 has. If you cannot fix this in the BIOS, running ThrottleStop with VBS disabled is your only option to get your CPU running like it should. If you make any changes in the BIOS, you will need to delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop. This allows ThrottleStop to read the BIOS changes you have made without using any previous values that you saved while using ThrottleStop.

Are you a fan of Windows 11 yet? I am sure lots of people have issues like this. Many never realize the reason why their computer runs like a slug after the "upgrade".

48 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Derminian

@unclewebb I just wanted to thank you for all the help, You took a problem that has been giving me trouble for two days and solved it in I'm sure a matter of minutes. I already had core isolation disabled but I had HyperV installed from before changing from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I looked and saw that VBS was running, I then removed the features shown in the article to disable it. After Disabling them and confirming that VBS was not running I found that my CPU was already turboing at 4.7Ghz all core. 

Side note I made the jump to Windows 11 just as a curiosity one day(about 3 months). I did create a system image just incase something went crazy. Luckily I didn't need it. I though it was all running smooth. I haven't noticed any slow downs in gaming or anything else. Overall I'm happy with Windows 11. I definitely don't think I have gained any major improvements over Windows 11 just felt like having some fun. I feel pretty indifferent to the upgrade overall. But like you said many never see the problems. I know I never would had, if I hadn't been looking at overclocking videos that day, and decided to take a look at my speed and a stress test. I even put a little monitor in the PSU window, with the CPU speed and Temps among many other things.  I guess I never really gave the CPU clock much mind.

Thanks again for the help!