New PC works fine but occasionally won't turn on at all

Banana123

Hi,

So this is a very weird issue. The PC works fine so far but when I turn it off at night it will occasionally won't turn on again. No lights no fan spinning, like the PSU is dead or something.

After serval hours of the PC being unplugged completely I took the case out, lift it to a different place away 30 CM and then connect it to a different socket and it will turn on. Now I tried a different socket without lifting it, and guess what, it won't turn on. When bringing it back to it's place after successfully turning it on , it turns on with the original socket again. I am not sure the lifting thing will always work, but I notice it working twice so far..

What is going on with this PC ?

Specs:

Intel Core i7 13700k

Corsair rm750x

Asus Z790 p wifi D4

Noctua nh-d15

Samsung 980 Nvme

G.skill ram.. 

No dedicated graphics

1 minute ago, Banana123 said:

Hi,

So this is a very weird issue. The PC works fine so far but when I turn it off at night it will occacinally won't turn on again. No lights no fan spinning, like the PSU is dead or something.

Then I take the case out, lift it to a different place away 30 CM and then connect it to a different socket and it will turn on. Now I tried a different socket without lifting it, and guess what, it won't turn on. When bringing it back to it's place after successfully turning it on , it turns on with the original socket again. I am not sure the lifting thing will always work, but I notice it working twice so far..

What is going on with this PC ?

Specs:

Intel Core i7 13700k

Corsair rm750x

Asus Z790 p wifi D4

Noctua nh-d15s

Samsung 980 Nvme

G.skill ram.. 

No dedicated graphics

You may have a bad powersupply or something just as simple as a bad power cable. If it works sometimes with both sockets and no ther device give you this sort of issue with these sockets than i would assume its one of the first 2 that i mentioned in the first sentence. Also try reseating all of the power cables in the psu/ motherboard power connector.

Just now, RyanWakileh said:

You may have a bad powersupply or something just as simple as a bad power cable. If it works sometimes with both sockets and no ther device give you this sort of issue with these sockets than i would assume its one of the first 2 that i mentioned in the first sentence. Also try reseating all of the power cables in the psu/ motherboard power connector.

I forgot to mention, I did tried a different longer cable that reaches the alternative socket, without lifting the case it won't turn on.

Just now, Banana123 said:

I forgot to mention, I did tried a different longer cable that reaches the alternative socket, without lifting the case it won't turn on.

Most likely faulty psu shorted your motherboard, is your psu used and what brand dit you get it from? Also you can try powercycling your psu by turning it on and of 3 times in a row with the switch on the back of the psu.

4 minutes ago, Banana123 said:

Sounds to me like a loose cable or connection. I would reseat and check all power cables and front panel connections and make sure everything is properly and securely connected. It could also be a bad PSU.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

I bet PSU as well. If your test was just a different socket and a longer cable so you didn't have to have the PSU unplugged for long is probably why it didn't work. The simple fact of having your system powered off while you shuffle your computer to a new location might be all that was needed for the PSU to cool down and work again. I'd try the longer cable again and next time it happens unplug your system for 30 seconds or however long it would take to move your PC and then plug back in and see if it works. 

Either way, sounds like PSU issue to me so far.

On 2/15/2023 at 9:15 PM, RyanWakileh said:

Most likely faulty psu shorted your motherboard, is your psu used and what brand dit you get it from? Also you can try powercycling your psu by turning it on and of 3 times in a row with the switch on the back of the psu.

It's corsair rm750x , everything is brand new. What does Power cycling do ?

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

I bet PSU as well. If your test was just a different socket and a longer cable so you didn't have to have the PSU unplugged for long is probably why it didn't work. The simple fact of having your system powered off while you shuffle your computer to a new location might be all that was needed for the PSU to cool down and work again. I'd try the longer cable again and next time it happens unplug your system for 30 seconds or however long it would take to move your PC and then plug back in and see if it works. 

Either way, sounds like PSU issue to me so far.

Maybe I should have mentioned it, the trick with lifting the PC was after serval hours of it being completely unplugged. At the same time I checked the longer cable before I lifted the case (the reason I lifted it was in desperate idea to reset the Cmos, but it started working before I touched anything)

1 minute ago, Banana123 said:

the trick with lifting the PC was after serval hours of it being completely unplugged

I'd try new PSU.

4 minutes ago, mcRYSHER said:

I had exactly the same problem. Solution - disable XMP in BIOS.

So XMP is indeed enabled.. Do you have a similar motherboard ? Did it actually started turning on only when you moved the case physically ? I am trying to make sense out of it..

1 hour ago, Banana123 said:

Do you have a similar motherboard ? Did it actually started turning on only when you moved the case physically ? I am trying to make sense out of it..

No, I am on AMD. It started when I updated BIOS. You can check your MoBo qvl, look for your memory model. If it is not listed, then your MoBo doesn't support your particular model for XMP

6 minutes ago, mcRYSHER said:

No, I am on AMD. It started when I updated BIOS. You can check your MoBo qvl, look for your memory model. If it is not listed, then your MoBo doesn't support your particular model for XMP

Got it, but what were your symptoms when it happened ? It just didn't turn on ? How did you turn it on eventually to make this modification ? Trying to understand if it is indeed what I am experiencing

10 hours ago, mcRYSHER said:

PC didn't turn on after a night. It starts, fans spin, but there is no bios. This only happens after a night. So it is a cold boot problem.

My fans doesn't spin when this happens though