XMP 3 DDR5 ram on an AM5 motherboard

Go to solution Solved by mdk777,

XMP is INTEL 

EXPO is AMD

they are exactly the same thing. Your AMD BIOS will allow your MB to read either.

Is there some "best" frequency and CAS for AMD5?

Reviewers indicate that 6000 CAS 30 is ideal.

Does that mean that XPO memory will actually achieve the ideal settings =NO

Does it mean that XPO memory should automatically set the the "best" settings it can obtain? Yes

If you buy XMP memory that you know is "ideal"

Say the above mentioned 6000 CAS 30

Will it RUN GREAT automatically on your AMD SYSTEM = YES 99.99% of the time

Simply check the XMP setting in your BIOS. 

ARE THERE a shed load of OC memory for INTEL that might not be supported or ideal for you AMD MB  = YES

DO NOT buy 64 GB(4x16) of PC RAM DDR5 7800 and think it will improve the performance of your AMD system, or even run at all at the XMP settings.

Goodday everyone!

I just realized that the DDR5 ram (KF560C32RSA-16) I ordered for my Asus TUF B650 - Plus does not support EXPO.... The thing is that when I was looking on the fury series on Kingston's site, they made it look like there is both XPS and EXPO support with this ram model, but there was a different section which mentioned specific models that support EXPO which I just saw... The ram hasn't arrived yet, but even if it does, I can't open the box to test it if I know it might not work and I have to return it.

Will I have any ram detection/performance issues with this motherboard, Ryzen 7700x and Ram combo because of this?

9 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

It's not on the list but the Ram I ordered for a second PC, the F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N by G.Skill is not either and this is an EXPO ram which is advertised from AM5 platforms...

Does this mean that neither of those ram sets can work with this motherboard?

4 minutes ago, K0stas said:

It's not on the list but the Ram I ordered for a second PC, the F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N by G.Skill is not either and this is an EXPO ram which is advertised from AM5 platforms...

Does this mean that neither of those ram sets can work with this motherboard?

These rams are the ones are tested so Buyying from this list is a good idea but most of the time It works without too much problem

2 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

These rams are the ones are tested so Buyying from this list is a good idea but most of the time It works without too much problem

Oh, so they only add to the list the ones they tested. It doesn't mean that if they are not there, they don't work. I found a site called pangoly where you can see which ram modules are compatible with certain boards and it looks like both the Kingston and G.skills exact models are supported. I don't know if this is a legit site though...

About the XPM, does it matter if a ram is XMP only?  Does XMP ram only work with Intel or can it work with AMD too without any issues? I picked this specific model cause of the 6K MHz which are ideal for Ryzen 7000 and the low latency of 32 CAS. The EXPO certified ones start from 36 CAS latency.

2 minutes ago, K0stas said:

Oh, so they only add to the list the ones they tested. It doesn't mean that if they are not there, they don't work. I found a site called pangoly where you can see which ram modules are compatible with certain boards and it looks like both the Kingston and G.skills exact models are supported. I don't know if this is a legit site though...

About the XPM, does it matter if a ram is XMP only?  Does XMP ram only work with Intel or can it work with AMD too without any issues? I picked this specific model cause of the 6K MHz which are ideal for Ryzen 7000 and the low latency of 32 CAS. The EXPO certified ones start from 36 CAS latency.

The site is real But Most of the Pc building websites on check for the physical size and stuff. You could manuvally overclock if the EXPO doesnt work it usually do

6 hours ago, Gokul_P said:

The site is real But Most of the Pc building websites on check for the physical size and stuff. You could manuvally overclock if the EXPO doesnt work it usually do

It would be pointless to check compatibility based on physical size alone wouldn't it? I mean If a board supports DDR5 then no matter how tall a ddr5 module is it will fit. The only problem a tall ram can cause is to obstruct the CPU cooler.

When you say manually overclock it, do you mean that if the XMP profile is not supported the ram will run at stock speeds and I ll have to set the values manually to make it work as fast as it is advertised?

XMP is INTEL 

EXPO is AMD

they are exactly the same thing. Your AMD BIOS will allow your MB to read either.

Does it mean that XPO memory should automatically set the the "best" settings it can obtain? Yes

ARE THERE a shed load of OC memory for INTEL that might not be supported or ideal for you AMD MB  = YES

DO NOT buy 64 GB(4x16) of PC RAM DDR5 7800 and think it will improve the performance of your AMD system, or even run at all at the XMP settings.

Edited by mdk777
clarity

3 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

XMP is INTEL 

EXPO is AMD

That's very good to hear! I was 100% sure that the g.skill ram was amd expo compatible since it was clear on their website.

The kingston one that only has a XMP profile runs at 6000MHz and Cas 32 which is safe to assume that it will be almost as fast as the g.skill. If I understood correctly, what you are saying is that once I install it, it will definitely work but I will have to check in the bios to see if the motherboard read the XMP profile correctly and the timings are the same as advertised and if it's not I just have to manually set them. Is that right?

All correct.

But the chance of needing to set manually is near zero.

You may need to just check the pull down to USE XMP....then it will without doubt read and use those settings.

7 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

All correct.

But the chance of needing to set manually is near zero.

You may need to just check the pull down to USE XMP....then it will without doubt read and use those settings.

That's very reassuring, I was really worried about it! Thank you very much for this info!