PC won’t boot, even into BIOS.

Jmcgraww

PC not booting, even into BIOS.

This one’s a head scratcher for me, I was using my pc like normal yesterday just listening to music and suddenly it just shut off.  I tried to restart it but the cpu fan turned on, then off, and kept looping, with no output to the monitor at all.  I tried a lot of steps after this, but here is my hardware:

-CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

-GPU: Powercolor rx 6800xt

-Motherboard: Gigabyte aorus x570 elite

-RAM: 2x8 gb G-Skill trident z

-PSU: EVGA 750BP

-SSD: Samsung 970 evo 500 tb ssd 

First, I tried removing the graphics card and using the motherboard HDMI port, which displayed nothing and persisted with the same behavior.  I also tried a spare gtx 1070 and that produced no signal either.
Next I tried swapping the ram out for different sticks to see if one had gone bad, that didn’t work either.
After this I swapped the power supply for a spare 600 watt thermal take that I have, and that produced the exact same result.

At this point, I assumed either the cpu or motherboard was dead and based on the symptoms, I assumed motherboard.  I tried to replace it with an MSI B550 tomahawk board, and to my surprise, the system STILL WOULDNT BOOT (with or without graphics card, both psu’s tried on new mobo).  I was getting pretty frustrated here but I thought, at least it’s almost certainly the cpu.  So I went back to Best Buy, returned the tomahawk board, and purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x.  I know my x570 board has the most up to date bios as I updated it a few weeks ago.  I put the system all back together, and it STILL WONT BOOT.  I’ve tried removing the ram, swapping the gpu, the psu, now even the CPU, and I just can’t seem to find the issue.  At this point I’m afraid both the motherboard and cpu decided to die together in one big crash.

Anyone have any ideas?

Could be a combination of failures. The symptoms you describe certainly sound like hardware failure for your CPU, RAM or motherboard. PSU failure would probably result in no response at all. Does your board have a POST code readout, or LEDs that do something similar? If you can get an error code this way you might get a better idea of what's going on

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

does the monitor work?

Yes, and I tried multiple just to be sure that wasn’t the issue.

8 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Could be a combination of failures. The symptoms you describe certainly sound like hardware failure for your CPU, RAM or motherboard. PSU failure would probably result in no response at all. Does your board have a POST code readout, or LEDs that do something similar? If you can get an error code this way you might get a better idea of what's going on

No post error LED’s or beeps, but the orange accent lights come on.  I know that isn’t very indicative but I can at least tell that power is getting to everything.  I’ve tried all ram slots with different sticks and no combination gave any display output.  I’m starting to think the mobo and cpu died at the same time.  Is that common at all? I haven’t heard of that happening before.

1 minute ago, Jmcgraww said:

No post error LED’s or beeps, but the orange accent lights come on.  I know that isn’t very indicative but I can at least tell that power is getting to everything.  I’ve tried all ram slots with different sticks and no combination gave any display output.  I’m starting to think the mobo and cpu died at the same time.  Is that common at all? I haven’t heard of that happening before.

The only thing I can think of that could kill multiple parts simultaneously is the power supply somehow feeding the components a sudden (and deadly) voltage spike. I have no idea how common that actually is through, and the fact that the PSU still lives seems to point in another direction. The board's VRM could also have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure and killed some parts, but once again i have no idea if that's actually a thing.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, Jmcgraww said:

mobo and cpu

my money is on the mobo, 

well you could go and order a motherboard and cpu with the option to send it back...

use it for testing... 

Or you ask a friend of yours

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

14 minutes ago, SamClan said:

my money is on the mobo, 

well you could go and order a motherboard and cpu with the option to send it back...

use it for testing... 

Or you ask a friend of yours

This is definitely what I’ll do, thanks.  I’ll update this thread if it works.

17 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

The only thing I can think of that could kill multiple parts simultaneously is the power supply somehow feeding the components a sudden (and deadly) voltage spike. I have no idea how common that actually is through, and the fact that the PSU still lives seems to point in another direction. The board's VRM could also have suffered some sort of catastrophic failure and killed some parts, but once again i have no idea if that's actually a thing.

I had the same thought about the PSU, I hadn’t considered the VRM kamikaze option, that definitely sounds possible.  Next step is to buy a new mobo and see if having both a new mobo and cpu fixes the issue.  I’ll update when I try that, thanks.

3 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I got the new mobo, hooked it up with the new cpu, and it still didn’t start.  Finally, I swapped out the ram for extra I had, I swapped the psu, and I swapped to the 1070.  It BOOTED!! Great! But, does this mean my 750 watt power supply literally killed every piece in my system? That seems absurd, but I guess that’s how it goes.  The 6800xt was a gift 😞

If swapping in a new PSU helped, some other parts may still be good. You now have the highly enviable task of determining exactly which components are still good, and which ones aren't.

Speaking of which, I'm off to buy a new PSU myself...

11 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

If swapping in a new PSU helped, some other parts may still be good. You now have the highly enviable task of determining exactly which components are still good, and which ones aren't.

Bad news… every component that was in the pc at time of failure (besides storage devices) seems faulty.  When I use the 6800xt, no boot and the vga light comes on (thank god this b550 board has indicators on it lol), ram causes the same thing with the ram light on, same with cpu.  My best guess is that that psu just suicide-killed everything in the machine, still very weird to me though.  I’m going to send the 6800xt off to Powercolor, hopefully they’ll RMA it.  Thanks for all your help!

14 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

After more extensive testing. I found that the RAM still functions, both sticks seem to work.  So as of now, it seems the mobo, CPU, and GPU are all dead.  I'm not entirely convinced though, because the PC is still running very strangely.  I'm just curious at this point honestly, so I'm going to buy a new SSD and try an entirely new copy of Windows then attempt to connect the GPU again.  I know these newer Radeon GPU;s can be kind of finicky sometimes, just crossing my fingers that it isn't dead already.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.