XMP Profile 1 not stable on Kingston Fury Renegade 7200

mrpkv
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

As someone who has spent a lot of time overclocking DDR5 as of recently, speeds above ~7000MT/s are super difficult to get stable. 7200MT/s kits do have pretty good performance, but at the same time they are a ton of work to get stable, and just enabling XMP isn't really enough to get them to work a lot of the time. 

Usually the issue that arises is memory controller instability. A good stress test that seems to pick up on those errors very well is Y-Cruncher's VST test, if the system is blue screening that frequently it should crash within the first test with the setup you've got. If you do want to try and get it stable at 7200MT/s, your best bet is to focus on that VST test. There are 3 main voltage settings that have a bit affect on the memory controller's stability: VDDQ TX, VDD2, and VCCSA. ASUS does call them different things in the BIOS (ASUS just has the tendency to do this for some reason), so you want to be looking for IIRC IVR Transmitter voltage, Memory Controller voltage, and System Agent voltage. All three of those voltage tend to sweet spot, and that sweet spot changes depending on the BIOS revision you're on, memory speed your at, and to some extent each other. You basically want to manipulate each one of those voltages until you start getting it stable, trying to keep IVR Transmitter and System Agent below 1.45V (though the sweet spot should happen below that mark), and I'd be trying to stay below 1.8V on the memory controller voltage (though again, you really shouldn't be getting anywhere near this for where the sweet spot should be). I don't really have any experience on ASUS boards, so I can't tell you what they like and what they don't for those voltage rails, though going off of screen shots I've seen something like 1.4V on IVR Transmitter and Memory controller with 1.3V for VCCSA should be about where each of those voltage sweet spots if you want a starting point (though again, this is dependent on a lot of factors, and even to some degree the exact board you got from the factory can behave differently from one to the next). 

The other option is to just return the kit and go for a 6400MT/s rated kit, which realistically is what I'd be recommending. At this point they're both Hynix A die based, so in the event that you do want to run a 7200MT/s kit it should overclock to that point, and since a 7200MT/s rated kit is fast enough that you need to do manual voltage tuning anyway (the actual hard part of DDR5 tuning) I don't really see any downsides to it since you'll be saving money, getting a kit that's got an XMP that will actually work, and if you decide to put in the effort to tune the memory controller in the future you still can run 7200MT/s without much difficulty. 

3 hours ago, Darkbahn said:

Can you create and share, aida64 reports. Ram xmp profiles screen. 7200mhz also 6800mhz should be there.

What do you mean, like a SPD dump? If so I think you quoted the wrong person. 

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What do you mean, like a SPD dump? If so I think you quoted the wrong person. 

Yes, sorry about quoted.

Ex. I have m-die 6000cl32 but i am using, kingston 6400c32 m-die xmp profile with user xmp profile. We know the bios may occur some problems with xmp profiles. I added a pic. with details of other timings with same frequency or lower. You may try the other timings and voltages, with what your ram profile has, with creating user xmp profile.

123.jpeg

2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 8:41 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

So generally that refers to the organization of the memory sticks. DS means dual sided or dual rank memory, while SS means single sided or single rank memory. Currently, any 32GB DIMM is going to be dual rank just because it's the only way possible with the available memory tech currently. As a rule, more memory ranks in a system means the harder the memory controller is working, though more ranks does have a performance per clock advantage (that was a bigger deal on DDR4 though than it is on DDR5, rank interleaving on DDR5 doesn't really add that much, but it does add something). So yes, SS sticks are going to be a little more stable with no tuning since they're easier to run, though at 6000MT/s there really shouldn't be all that much difference. 

It's a fine kit, though if you don't really need 64GB of RAM I would personally stick to the current kit you've got. 

I've never seen that error code before when doing memory overclocks, and I've gotten a lot of blue screens from unstable overclocks. I'd sat that one of your drivers might've been screwed up by this and a reinstall might be a good idea. 

Decided to give an update after a prolonged time to be more relevant.

I eventually reinstalled the Windows to have clean drivers. With Windows updated and all the drivers updated I was still getting some crashes in different applications such Chrome or Corsair iCUE using XMP II profile for 6400MHz, Y-Cruncher SFT and VST passed and no other application elicited unstable behaviour.

I kept the voltages and timings and lowered the frequency to 6200MHz, this has been stable so far.

I guess the problem here is just the memory controller, probably if I fiddle around with the timings and voltages I will manage to get it stable at higher frequencies since the stability was not egregious.

Thank you very much again for the answers.