Why Different Pinouts?

Marvzl1357

Hullo,

I forgot where I heard it, but I heard that different modular psu's have different electrical arrangements with the connectors out of the power supply.

I.e. (just an inaccurate, random example) the top left pin of the 24 pin on the motherboard side of the connector is different to the top left pin of the 24 pin connector that plugs into the power supply.

Or a different (still inaccurate) way to look at it: the top left pin for the motherboard 24 pin in is 5v while the top left pin on the power supply's 24 pin out is a ground.

And this varies from psu to psu.

Did I get my message across? or do I have to reword it?

Does anyone know why it doesn't just perfectly correspond? It would make things that much easier. If it was just a direct correspondence then we can use the pp05 short cable kit on any psu, or use the corsair custom braided connectors on any psu as well. It's kinda frustrating that it locks us down to a particular manufacturer to use their psu and their accessories.

Anyway, Ideas?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Hullo,

I forgot where I heard it, but I heard that different modular psu's have different electrical arrangements with the connectors out of the power supply.

I.e. (just an inaccurate, random example) the top left pin of the 24 pin on the motherboard side of the connector is different to the top left pin of the 24 pin connector that plugs into the power supply.

Or a different (still inaccurate) way to look at it: the top left pin for the motherboard 24 pin in is 5v while the top left pin on the power supply's 24 pin out is a ground.

And this varies from psu to psu.

Did I get my message across? or do I have to reword it?

Does anyone know why it doesn't just perfectly correspond? It would make things that much easier. If it was just a direct correspondence then we can use the pp05 short cable kit on any psu, or use the corsair custom braided connectors on any psu as well. It's kinda frustrating that it locks us down to a particular manufacturer to use their psu and their accessories.

Anyway, Ideas?

so that you have to buy their psu to use in a smaller case probably. they wont make loads of money of cables but whole psu, yes

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Since there is no standard for a modular PSU, each company picked what they thought was best and stuck with it. Good luck making one give up and adopt another companies methods...

There's no standard for it, so companies do what ever fits them best for things like internal wiring or asthetics.

There's no real money grab on this sort of thing, as all PSUs come with the cables anyway

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO