Crashing help

Dobby_is_free

Note: previous post related to this issue https://linustechtips.com/topic/1477062-checkerboard-screen-crashing-problems/#comment-15725046

So for while now I've been getting crashes every so often while playing games. I've attached pictures to show what the screen looks like when it crashes. More info is in my previous thread. Since I made my original post the issue went away for about a week and a half, but it has now returned. I have also started getting DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSODs when trying to power off or put the PC to sleep. I should also note that sometimes just the game crashes, not the whole PC. When this happens it says that it "lost connection with the video device". It's also pretty inconsistent, I ran a furmark stress test for 45 minutes without issues.

Things I have tried but have not worked: Reinstalling graphics drivers using DDU, disk check, memory check, system file check, reinstalling windows completely, updating my bios.

My PC Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700X

ASUS x470-F gaming mobo

Corsair vengeance LPX 2x8 gb DDR4 3600 CL18

RTX 2080 TI FE

EVGA supernova 750 G3

1TB WD blue HDD

256GB SanDisk SSD(boot drive)

Is it time to start swapping parts out? I have some old parts from a previous build I could try to use for trouble shooting. What could be the likely cause?

IMG_20230127_152359.jpg

IMG_20230127_152355.jpg

IMG_20230127_152600.jpg

In your previous thread you said you had an old GTX 1060 you could put in the system for testing. Did you do that?

As people said in that thread, the visual artifacts here are a textbook symptom of a GPU VRAM problem. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

21 minutes ago, Middcore said:

In your previous thread you said you had an old GTX 1060 you could put in the system for testing. Did you do that?

As people said in that thread, the visual artifacts here are a textbook symptom of a GPU VRAM problem. 

Haven't had a chance to swap yet, I'll probably try this weekend. Any ideas on how to test it to see if it fixes the issue? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 6:15 PM, Middcore said:

Update 2/17 I didn't end up swapping out the parts, I instead reseated the GPU and thoroughly sprayed it with compressed air. This fixed the issue for about a week, but it has now returned? Should I still try my other card, or could it be a MB issue?

1 minute ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Update 2/17 I didn't end up swapping out the parts, I instead reseated the GPU and thoroughly sprayed it with compressed air. This fixed the issue for about a week, but it has now returned? Should I still try my other card, or could it be a MB issue?

Trying your other card is a very quick operation which would have allowed us to determine with pretty good certainty whether the GPU is the a long time ago.

It would be ridiculous to start worrying about the motherboard yet.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

26 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Trying your other card is a very quick operation which would have allowed us to determine with pretty good certainty whether the GPU is the a long time ago.

It would be ridiculous to start worrying about the motherboard yet.

Aight, I'll try that, any way I could better see if it is fixed? How long while using the other card should I wait before determining the culprit?