BYOC Rentals/Transportation Ideas

SwiftCoderJoe

Hey, I'm currently planning on coming in to the expo from the New York area. I'd love to do the BYOC, but I'm not exactly sure how I can do it considering the transportation requirements.

The ideal situation, from my perspective, would be to rent a computer for the BYOC. Whether this rental comes from the Expo itself or from some other local computer shop doesn't matter much to me, the main consideration is that I do not have to find a way to transport my personal system across the country.

Assuming that's not possible, what are my other options? I'm currently considering the Orca ticket, and I still definitely want to go to the BYOC, so I guess I just have to figure out a way to get my computer over the distance? I have a Fractal Design Meshify C, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to transport. Do you guys have any experience doing this sort of thing? I'd also need some way to transport my monitor, I guess.

Anyway, in case it wasn't clear from my rambling, I have two questions. First, is it possible to rent a computer + monitor from someone, LMG or otherwise? Failing that, how in the world am I going to get my computer to Vancouver?

I can't give much advice on how to transport your tower but I believe at the Whale LAN they provided a Viewsonic monitor. I can't confirm wether that's the case with LTX though. 

Edit: Cancel that. LTX website states that only a table section and chair are provided

What gaming PCs are you planning to rental?

For example if I were to do something similar, I would rent this:

https://www.easyhome.ca/computers/desktop/computer_gaming_desktop_cdmsiaegis_se11sa

Have it delivered to the hotel I'm staying and swap the parts I brought from home.

Eg) GPU, RAM, PSU and SSDs

I would use the box that the pc came in and hand carry them to the venue. 

It will be done in two trips. Or if I'm feeling social I would find someone on the forum to help me bring it there for a free lunch.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

7 hours ago, SwiftCoderJoe said:

Assuming that's not possible, what are my other options? I'm currently considering the Orca ticket, and I still definitely want to go to the BYOC, so I guess I just have to figure out a way to get my computer over the distance? I have a Fractal Design Meshify C, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to transport. Do you guys have any experience doing this sort of thing? I'd also need some way to transport my monitor, I guess.

Option A:

45 h drive, so roughly a 4 day road trip. 

Option B:

You need either the original packaging for the case (and the monitor) or a sufficiently big case / bag / suitcase and a whole bunch of padding. And then you need to make sure all exposed components in your PC (mainly tower air coolers and especially the GPU) are supported by pieces of stiff foam you cut to the correct size, so nothing gets damaged during transport. You basically have to pack it for your average parcel delivery torture test (must survive heat, cold, water, falling from up to 2 m height and being used as a step-ladder, etc...)

Then you can check in your PC at the airport and it should survive the trip (no guarantees).

Option C:

You ask the airline, if you can book an extra seat (cabin seat luggage) for you computer. If they are fine with it, you can bring your computer as carry-on luggage and you don't have to worry about it getting kicked around.