Cheap Gaming Laptops, worth it?

I am a student going in to electronic engineering next year, in around 6 months and i need a laptop to buy.

I am also quite a gamer on the side so that would be a nice to have feature.

As for specs, I have found that a 6core, ryzen 5 zen 3 at least or the i5 12240h, paired with a 3050 or 3050 amd equivalent are as low as I might go.

I have found these 2 options but please lmk if you have a honest opinion on these or a better choice.

(currently browsing, but liking the tuf over the ideapad)

I am open to convo.

sure go for it but be sure to check if the model has a mux switch because nvidia optimus can ruin your performance on alot of laptops

Nearly all of these cheap gaming laptops will have a major flaw out of the box: 8 GB of RAM. And in single channel mode. This is a serious bottleneck nearly HALVES the FPS of these machines in some games, both from lack of RAM and from running in single channel.

If you spend another $20 to double the RAM (these machines do not tend to have soldered RAM) then you can "unlock" their true potential.

I was 100% planning that, and also buying an external 1tb ssd to keep ny school stuff in in case i need to travel somewhere quick.

I saw a lot of bad raviews on the tuf as having a bad screen/bad laptop l. Any opinions on that?

Also saw that the 2060/1660ti might perform better cuz 6gb of vram instad of 4 on the 3050.

Why are laptops so damn complicated.

6 hours ago, LegentOne said:

Isaw a lot of bad raviews on the tuf as having a bad screen/bad laptop l. Any opinions on that?

laptop change every year just because its bad before doesnt mean its still bad after the refresh, and just because its good before doesnt mean its good right now. my best suggestion would be to watch laptop review, i would recommend jarrod's tech his laptop reviews are really good.

Also saw that the 2060/1660ti might perform better cuz 6gb of vram instad of 4 on the 3050.

rtx 2060 is still better performing then the rtx 3050 not just because the vram but also its just a stronger gpu, the jump from 3050 mobile to 3060 mobile is very big which is why the best value laptop are the one with xx60 most of the time.

Why are laptops so damn complicated.

its complicated because people want different things in their laptop. and instead of making the perfect laptop, manufacture just make a lot of laptop that fits their need. also in the end, its a business and business have to make money, so they'll find a way to cut cost