AMD & ASUS - Huge Headache

Dunny0611

Hey guys... this is going to be a long one but I hope its enough detail that someone may know what's going on...

let me start with my Original Build:

AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E Gaming Wifi

32GB DDR5 6000Mhz GSkill Memory (Slot A2 and B2)

1TB Samsung 980 Pro Boot Drive

2TB Samsung 980 Pro Storage

EVGA 1000W Platinum certified PSU

Zotac Trinity RTX 3080 12G 

CoolerMaster ML360AIO

Dynamic O11 

Issue - Computer had a hard time booting, it would get stuck on random codes (16 -Yellow Light, 46 - White Light, 42 White and Green Light, AO - Green Light

it would take a half hour of hard rebooting before it would finally boot into windows, and then everything was fine... until of course it re-started again.

About 3 weeks ago I did another build (All new parts) specs listed below:
AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

ASUS ROG X670 Crosshair Hero

32GB DDR 5 6000Mhz Gskill Memory (Slot A2 & B2)

RTX 3080 12G

2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro's

EVGA 1000W Platinum power supply.

O11 Dynamic Case

This build is cooled with an EK WB on CPU, GPU, a 360MM Radiator up top, and a 240MM Radiator on the bottom with the D5 Distro Block/Pump in the front.

Issues are identical, New components, and still the exact same issue as the previous build.

Bios on both builds was updated to latest version. All drivers updated to latest version. It runs absolutely fine once you get it to post, but its a 30 min battle (or more) to get it there. The first build i thought maybe defective parts.. but to get two builds with the exact same issues makes me think otherwise. 

Bios settings - Are factory except for AMD EXPO turned on. I have tried turning it off, with no difference.

Some new components, or are all the components different. In other words: did any components of build A touch build B?

34 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Some new components, or are all the components different. In other words: did any components of build A touch build B?

All new Components. The first build was for my son, the second for myself.

1 hour ago, Dunny0611 said:

Hey guys... this is going to be a long one but I hope its enough detail that someone may know what's going on...

let me start with my Original Build:

AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E Gaming Wifi

32GB DDR5 6000Mhz GSkill Memory (Slot A2 and B2)

1TB Samsung 980 Pro Boot Drive

2TB Samsung 980 Pro Storage

EVGA 1000W Platinum certified PSU

Zotac Trinity RTX 3080 12G 

CoolerMaster ML360AIO

Dynamic O11 

Issue - Computer had a hard time booting, it would get stuck on random codes (16 -Yellow Light, 46 - White Light, 42 White and Green Light, AO - Green Light

it would take a half hour of hard rebooting before it would finally boot into windows, and then everything was fine... until of course it re-started again.

About 3 weeks ago I did another build (All new parts) specs listed below:
AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

ASUS ROG X670 Crosshair Hero

32GB DDR 5 6000Mhz Gskill Memory (Slot A2 & B2)

RTX 3080 12G

2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro's

EVGA 1000W Platinum power supply.

O11 Dynamic Case

This build is cooled with an EK WB on CPU, GPU, a 360MM Radiator up top, and a 240MM Radiator on the bottom with the D5 Distro Block/Pump in the front.

Issues are identical, New components, and still the exact same issue as the previous build.

Bios on both builds was updated to latest version. All drivers updated to latest version. It runs absolutely fine once you get it to post, but its a 30 min battle (or more) to get it there. The first build i thought maybe defective parts.. but to get two builds with the exact same issues makes me think otherwise. 

Bios settings - Are factory except for AMD EXPO turned on. I have tried turning it off, with no difference.

Hello,
Have you ever updated the ssd firmware? Samsung has a app that do it for you on their website.
I get it's hard to POST on your current build state but if you haven't tried this, give it a shot.

Good luck

1 hour ago, ImZigaZz said:

Hello,
Have you ever updated the ssd firmware? Samsung has a app that do it for you on their website.
I get it's hard to POST on your current build state but if you haven't tried this, give it a shot.

Good luck

Yes 🙂 Firmware is updated on all drives to the latest version

1 hour ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Sounds like memory training. Are you pairing the motherboards with memory kits on the QVL/Supported Memory list?

You say you are using G.Skill but you don't list the exact model, this can be important. 

The first build, the Memory I had was not on the QVL list, which I thought was the problem, I then went out and bought two kits that are both listed on the QVL list, and have been using them. I thought the issue was fixed as build #1 seemed to run a lot better, but then it started again and hasnt stopped. Build #2, has been using QVL listed memory sense first boot.

3 minutes ago, Dunny0611 said:

The first build, the Memory I had was not on the QVL list, which I thought was the problem, I then went out and bought two kits that are both listed on the QVL list, and have been using them. I thought the issue was fixed as build #1 seemed to run a lot better, but then it started again and hasnt stopped. Build #2, has been using QVL listed memory sense first boot.

Do you have another GPU you can test out in these systems? Sometimes certain GPUs can cause problems with these newer platforms.  

26 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Do you have another GPU you can test out in these systems? Sometimes certain GPUs can cause problems with these newer platforms.  

I do not unfortunately 😞 Both are Zotac Trinity RTX 3080 12G cards, I originally ordered the 10g version from Canada computers but they screwed up and sent me the 12g versions for the same price as the 10g's lol. One is hooked up to the monitor by Display port, Build #2 is hooked up with HDMI.

1 hour ago, Dunny0611 said:

I do not unfortunately 😞 Both are Zotac Trinity RTX 3080 12G cards, I originally ordered the 10g version from Canada computers but they screwed up and sent me the 12g versions for the same price as the 10g's lol. One is hooked up to the monitor by Display port, Build #2 is hooked up with HDMI.

Doing some research, it seems there are many people with those motherboards that have similar issues. Although, I'm having difficulty finding people who have had it take as long as you (up to 30 minutes). 

One mention was GPU orientation, so how is your GPU oriented? Apparently, having it vertically mounted affected the total boot time. Something to do with the riser cable.

Also, being that the setups are so similar, there's obviously something within the parts list that is causing the long boot times. The difficult part is doing process of elimination to discover which part it is.