Does a 13700F processor support DDR5 6000 CL36 ram?

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
15 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

1) Does the 13700F support DDR5 faster than 5600 through XPM profiles?

Yes but it will legally be called as overclocking and technically you voided your warranty if you do so. Even if XMP didnt pop out, you can just manually enter XMP speed with locked/+.05 extra on your RAM voltage. Just keep your mouth shut during RMA and youll be fine.

17 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

2) Do H760 motherboards support XMP profiles?

Yep. Intel completely backed out on their kerjiggery to lock out RAM overclocking from all but Z board, but i would still go for B series chipset not only for guaranteed access, but also improved VRM and more overall connectivity.

I'm choosing parts for a new build. I found contraddicting information online regarding what exactly does an F part locks.

F locks the multiplier, which prevents CPU core frequency overclocking. K parts have unlocked multiplier.

I can't find information about memory overclocking (I use the XMP profile):

• 13700F : The ark page for the 13700F shows 5600[MT/s] as the limit.
  • 13700K: The ark page for the 13700K also shows 5600[MT/s] as the limit! But this part can run DDR5 faster, either through XMP profiles or through manual tuning of the timings
  • Chipset should have no effect on memory speed, the difference between Z790 and H770 should be mostly PCI-E connectivity
  • Motherboard quality affects maximum speed a lot because of the traces. E.g. This Z790 MOBO claims up to DDR5 7600 MT/s speed
  • Options available through the bios also affect what you can change

Since I don't overclock, I would like to avoid a Z790 MOBO with an overbuilt VRM and go to a cheaper H77 MOBO.

Question:

2) Do H770 motherboards support XMP profiles?

15 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Yes but it will legally be called as overclocking and technically you voided your warranty if you do so. Even if XMP didnt pop out, you can just manually enter XMP speed with locked/+.05 extra on your RAM voltage. Just keep your mouth shut during RMA and youll be fine.

17 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

2) Do H760 motherboards support XMP profiles?

Yep. Intel completely backed out on their kerjiggery to lock out RAM overclocking from all but Z board, but i would still go for B series chipset not only for guaranteed access, but also improved VRM and more overall connectivity.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

19 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

They went 2/3 of the way with backing out of there kerjiggery. The Hx10 boards still do not support memory overclocking. Only 500 series+ Bx60 and Hx70 boards allow you to set a RAM speed above the official CPU supported speed. (That and, obviously, Z series boards, but Z series boards have always allowed memory overclocking)

Also, with locked CPUs, you aren't allowed to change the Gear to Gear 1 after reaching a certain memory speed, which means that you are limited to effectively DDR4-3466. I forget what the DDR5 equivalent is, but you'll lose performance by dropping to Gear 2 after that.

The "supported" ram speed thing seems quite common. I think it is best to look at it as manufacturer support, distinct from silicon support. Manufacturer support is what Intel (or AMD) will back you up if you have problems running standards compliant ram at that speed. That specifically excludes XMP and similarly I'd expect EXPO to be affected also. Silicon support is what it can really do, but the ultimate limit is down to design and luck.

Keep in mind the difference in support is not unique to Intel. Later AMD AM4 CPUs officially support to 3200, which is the number you'll find in their official documentation, yet they even say 3600 is the sweet spot for enthusiasts pushing further, but if you have problems at 3600, they're not going to help you at all.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible