No POST after Switching Case

Cybeer_Xx

Hi Everyone,

Im not getting any Post after switching components to a different Case.
Everything was working perfectly fine just 1 Day ago.

Some Troubleshooting steps i have done

- 1 Stick of ram in each Slot (counts for both dimms)
- Re-seated CPU
- Re-seated GPU
- Tried booting with no CMOS Battery (and cleared CMOS)
- Changed and removed boot drive
- Tried a different PSU
- Tried different Cables on moth MOBO and GPU (DP and HDMI)
- Q-Flash the BIOS
- Removed all the non vital Cables
- No bent Pins on the CPU or anything

Also one thing i've noticed is, once i enable power on the PSU my Ram-Dimms just start lighting up on its own
2004961449_Foto02_02.23121547.thumb.jpg.abacde40d42547cdbb56645016242e64.jpg

The other thing is once i power on the System
my MOBO RGB lights are not on (which they also have been before)
Upon closer inspection of the MOBO i only found this spot which could be a problem which has some damage on it. (Next to the PCIe 16x) Also the Retention thingy broke off (whops)
But i've also tried it in the PCIex4 Slot.

1170260552_Foto02_02.23121137.thumb.jpg.1f51657baeee7ac86f11fb6edb4d33fb.jpg

I dont have a second CPU or GPU to test out any of those components to be
sure.

Specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite REV.1
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio (MSI)
RAM: Trident Z Neo (16gb Dimms)
Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro
Second Drive: Corsair MP600
PSU: Corsair Rm850x & Corsair SF750 (Which would've been for the new build)

What are your thoughts what could be the cause of this???! 
I don't want to take a gamble and order something and then still not have it work...

Thank you for your time, Let me know if you have any Questions or Answers or Suggestions.

Also forgot to mention that everything powers on just fine, RGB lights (Excpect on the MOBO) the fans are spinning everywhere (that includes the little chipset cooler on the MOBO) etc. Just not getting any POST.

Looks like you've tried pretty much everything.

Have you tried building everything out of the case? Can't tell from the pic but maybe you've done that already. Wouldn't be the first time a bloody screw has wedged its self in the small gap between the back of the mobo and case and caused a short.

Another silly mistake I make from time to time is forgetting the supplementary cpu power cable.

Clutching at straws here but while you don't have another CPU or GPU, do you have a friend who has a system you can at least test on? At the very least RAM and GPU.

Good luck.

C

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

Bedroom AV Setup - Yamaha WXC-50 - 2 x B&W CM1s - Rel Quake - LG OLED42C2.

11 minutes ago, Cybeer_Xx said:

Also forgot to mention that everything powers on just fine

You mean to say there is a difference when you press the "power on" button? No need to poke the 2 power pins, to start up the system? (incorrectly connected case wires to the mobo or broken wires in the case)

When rebuilding your PC, and especially after having removed your battery (I expect you had the power cord also disconnected during this procedure), how long did you wait to get a POST? It might take a bit, for the mobo to figure out what components are installed for "the first time". (after rebuilding my Ryzen 3600 based system, I too had to wait a bit to get a post)

You've reset the bios so the lighting will be different if you had them setup before.

The damage "looks" cosmetic and so I don't think it should be an issue.

your CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so you will never get video from the MOBO only the GPU.

GPUs can be picky about WHICH port they display POST on make sure to test each one for video.

Sounds super silly but the CPU power is really easy to forget just give her a double check make sure all power is fully seated and if you have multiple CPU power, try them all.

Ultimate troubleshoot option here but least fun, remove everything from the case and try to POST that way, could be a case short or bad ground.

hope this helps.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra - Ryzen 5600X - MSI RX5700 Mech OC - Corsair Vengeance pro 32GB 3200Mhz - Dual Alienware 2720HF 27" 240hz

Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w 80+ Gold - Phanteks Eclipse P500a case

Samsung 980 PRO 1tb NVMe (boot drive) - Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 8tb HDD - Western Digital Blue 2tb HDD

2 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Looks like you've tried pretty much everything.

Have you tried building everything out of the case? Can't tell from the pic but maybe you've done that already. Wouldn't be the first time a bloody screw has wedged its self in the small gap between the back of the mobo and case and caused a short.

Another silly mistake I make from time to time is forgetting the supplementary cpu power cable.

Clutching at straws here but while you don't have another CPU or GPU, do you have a friend who has a system you can at least test on? At the very least RAM and GPU.

Good luck.

C

Yes i've shot the Pictures outside of the case as i tried to troubleshoot.
I also did connect the cpu power.

At the moment i do now know anyone in my friends list that is into computers as such so theres not really an option for that!

Ty for the reply!

5 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

You mean to say there is a difference when you press the "power on" button? No need to poke the 2 power pins, to start up the system? (incorrectly connected case wires to the mobo or broken wires in the case)

When rebuilding your PC, and especially after having removed your battery (I expect you had the power cord also disconnected during this procedure), how long did you wait to get a POST? It might take a bit, for the mobo to figure out what components are installed for "the first time". (after rebuilding my Ryzen 3600 based system, I too had to wait a bit to get a post)

No im outside of the case at the moment so im poking the 2 power pins, and it powers on and fans start spinning.

i've waited a solid 1-2 Minutes after the boot, you reckon i should wait longer?

Ty for the reply!

Give it like 5 min at least since you have reset bios and Q flashed already just incase its relearning its configuration.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra - Ryzen 5600X - MSI RX5700 Mech OC - Corsair Vengeance pro 32GB 3200Mhz - Dual Alienware 2720HF 27" 240hz

Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix - EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w 80+ Gold - Phanteks Eclipse P500a case

Samsung 980 PRO 1tb NVMe (boot drive) - Samsung 870 Evo 1tb SSD - Seagate BarraCuda 8tb HDD - Western Digital Blue 2tb HDD

2 minutes ago, Cybeer_Xx said:

Yes i've shot the Pictures outside of the case as i tried to troubleshoot.
I also did connect the cpu power.

At the moment i do now know anyone in my friends list that is into computers as such so theres not really an option for that!

Ty for the reply!

Pants! Well, worth a shot.

When powered on and left for a minute or 2, what happens when you hit the power button as if you were turning it off? Not a long press as if you were doing a 'forced shutdown' but a single quick press?

A booted system would take a few seconds to go through the proper shutdown procedure but a brick would turn off immediately.

Bedroom PC - Lian-Li O11 XL Evo - Intel Core i5 13600k @ 5.4P / 4.4EGhz -  MSI Pro-A Wifi Z790 Mobo DDR5 - 32GB Ram - Gigabyte RTX 4090 - 1TB Samsung 990Pro NVMe - Corsair HX1200i PSU - Dual Custom Loop Cooling - GPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface S240 + EK Quantum Surface P360M X-Flow Rads - CPU cooled with EK Quantum Surface X360M Rad

Living Room PC - Hyte Y60 - Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5Ghz -  MSI Meg Ace Z390 Mobo - 16GB Ram - Palit RTX 3080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - Corsair AX850 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with Hyte Y60 Corner Distro Plate - EK Coolstream S120 + EK Quantum Surface S360 + EK Quantum Surface X240M

Extension PC - Lian Li o11 Dynamic - Intel Core i7 8086k @ 5.1Ghz -  Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA RTX 2080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EKWB 360 Rads + G1 side EKWB distro plate.

Office - Thermaltake Tower 100 - Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.1Ghz - Gbyte Z390 I Aorus Pro Wifi Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 1080ti - 256GB Samsung NVMe - EVGA B5 850W PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with dual EK Quantum Surface P120M Rads + Barrow 3-in-1 Block, Res & Pump.

Annex - Corsair 250D - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77 I Delux Mobo - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980ti - 256GB Corsair SSD - BeQuiet P11 750 PSU - CPU cooled with EK Coolstream S240 + S120 Rads + EK Pump / Res Combo

Office - Corsair 280X - Intel Core i7 4790k - Asrock H97M ITX Mobo  - 16GB Ram - EVGA GTX 980 - Corsair SFXL600 PSU - CPU + GPU cooled with triple EK Coolstream S240s + EK Pump / Res Combo

NAS PC - Fractal Node 804 - Intel Core i7 3770k - Asus P8Z77-M Mobo - 16GB Ram - MSI GTX 1660 Ventus - Corsair AX850 PSU - Unraid 15TB Storage Server

Living Room AV Setup 5.1.4 - Yamaha RX-A2060 - 2 x B&W CM9s2 - 2 x Monitor Audio FX Silvers - 4 x B&W CCM665s - B&W CMCs2 - SVS SB13 Ultra - LG OLED65C1

Extension AV Setup - Sonos ARC + Sub (Gen 3) - LG OLED65C6V + Yamaha RX-A1070 - 5 x Monitor Audio C265s (2 Zones)

2 minutes ago, Cybeer_Xx said:

No im outside of the case at the moment so im poking the 2 power pins, and it powers on and fans start spinning.

i've waited a solid 1-2 Minutes after the boot, you reckon i should wait longer?

Ty for the reply!

I didn't have to wait for 2 minutes, I think I had to wait like 45 seconds. From the build-first, first-boot vids I've seen on YT, it shouldn't last more then 1 minute. (did mention this, because some people expect a post within 10 seconds)

At your current troubleshooting stage, I'd want to test the components one by one, in a different system.

*Sidenote: I don't see that scratch as being an issue. Doesn't seem to have cut up any traces.

5 minutes ago, Milinko01 said:

You've reset the bios so the lighting will be different if you had them setup before.

The damage "looks" cosmetic and so I don't think it should be an issue.

your CPU doesn't have onboard graphics so you will never get video from the MOBO only the GPU.

GPUs can be picky about WHICH port they display POST on make sure to test each one for video.

Sounds super silly but the CPU power is really easy to forget just give her a double check make sure all power is fully seated and if you have multiple CPU power, try them all.

Ultimate troubleshoot option here but least fun, remove everything from the case and try to POST that way, could be a case short or bad ground.

hope this helps.

i did plug in CPU power, and tried all possible GPU Ports, also did remove everything from the case 😞

Ty for the reply!

2 minutes ago, ChrisLoudon said:

Pants! Well, worth a shot.

When powered on and left for a minute or 2, what happens when you hit the power button as if you were turning it off? Not a long press as if you were doing a 'forced shutdown' but a single quick press?

A booted system would take a few seconds to go through the proper shutdown procedure but a brick would turn off immediately.

Incorrect. If a system would be booted past BIOS, but didn't detect an OS, it would shut off near instantly.

1 minute ago, Budget DIY said:

Incorrect. If a system would be booted past BIOS, but didn't detect an OS, it would shut off near instantly.

Yeh, I kinda thought that if he's tried bench building without an ssd

if you have a MOBO speaker you could try to induce beep codes by not installing RAM, I would think if the system can produce beep codes it should be a good sign.

10 minutes ago, Milinko01 said:

if you have a MOBO speaker you could try to induce beep codes by not installing RAM, I would think if the system can produce beep codes it should be a good sign.

Sadly dont have speakers

you can order a MOBO speaker that plugs into the MOBO with the front panel connector for real cheap.

I've added a screenshot of the front panel connector for your MOBO so you can see where it goes.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 053133.png

Edited by Milinko01
Added screenshot

Make sure the motherboard is on something that doesn't conduct electricity - wood is fine, cardboard, sheets of paper is fine. 

Connect just the 24 pin and 8 pin, turn off the power supply so the motherboard doesn't get 5v stand-by, unplug battery, wait 5-10 seconds, put battery back. 

Plug just one stick of ram, in the slot furthest from  - use another one if you tested with the other and didn't get results. 

Plug the video card into the pci-e slot (either the primary one, or the one further down, which has pci-e lanes from chipset) . Have a hand or something (some books) or put the board on the edge of the desk so that the metal bracket of the video card can go under the edge of the motherboard as it normally sits in the case. Connect the power connectors on the video card. 

Connect video card to the monitor, ideally with a HDMI cable. Sometimes, it takes too much time for the video card to detect the monitor through DisplayPort and the card may report to the BIOS there's no monitor connected and you get no image then. 

short the power on pins in the front panel header with a screwdriver for a second to turn it on 

Wait up to a minute. 

If still no luck and that motherboard has a bios flashback feature, I'd suggest flashing the bios again by using a usb stick

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Make sure the motherboard is on something that doesn't conduct electricity - wood is fine, cardboard, sheets of paper is fine. 

Connect just the 24 pin and 8 pin, turn off the power supply so the motherboard doesn't get 5v stand-by, unplug battery, wait 5-10 seconds, put battery back. 

Plug just one stick of ram, in the slot furthest from  - use another one if you tested with the other and didn't get results. 

Plug the video card into the pci-e slot (either the primary one, or the one further down, which has pci-e lanes from chipset) . Have a hand or something (some books) or put the board on the edge of the desk so that the metal bracket of the video card can go under the edge of the motherboard as it normally sits in the case. Connect the power connectors on the video card. 

Connect video card to the monitor, ideally with a HDMI cable. Sometimes, it takes too much time for the video card to detect the monitor through DisplayPort and the card may report to the BIOS there's no monitor connected and you get no image then. 

short the power on pins in the front panel header with a screwdriver for a second to turn it on 

Wait up to a minute. 

If still no luck and that motherboard has a bios flashback feature, I'd suggest flashing the bios again by using a usb stick

Tried it all now, still no post. i've ordered a mobo speaker that should get here tomorrow so i'll see if there's something with that. otherwise im out of ideas honestly.

Thankyou for the reply!

23 hours ago, Milinko01 said:

you can order a MOBO speaker that plugs into the MOBO with the front panel connector for real cheap.

I've added a screenshot of the front panel connector for your MOBO so you can see where it goes.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 053133.png

Okay so, i've tested it with a Speaker and there is absolutely no beeps or sounds coming from it. (yes i've tried switching the speaker around in case i've put it in the wrong side)
So i'm assuming my MOBO is dead??!