throw it back back

looking for some advice on a old motherboard spec that is super common to this day lga1155 by intel sandy bridge 32nM i have an old 2011 dell OptiPlex  790 sff that i want to put an ivy bridge gen 3 i7 3770k in. its practically identical other than graphic specs and double the core threads as well as a 1650 ti or super and im aware that dell is propriety and sff psu cant or are difficult to upgrade is there anyone who can help im honestly new to pc and afteer alot of research have learned alot but want advice from people who have alot more knowledge 

Welcome to the LTT forums! Okay what CPU do you currently have in the system? What upgrades or configuration options have you already implemented on your system? We are only dealing with a 12 year old 240 watt PSU so every watt counts. How far you can upgrade can be decided by as little as an SSD or HDD.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

The  Del Optiplex 790 was built as a business machine with a max of 16 gigs ram.  Designed with both Windows Vista and Windows 7 in mind it was a good machine in its day but today things are a vastly different.  Since it was designed for using Vista and 7, I don't know if it would run 10 or 11 but who knows, you can't find out if you don't try.

As for the machine itself, I honestly wouldn't put any money into it at all and would most likely scrounge it for parts such as the copper and aluminum heat sinks because I can make a few pennies for those at the recycler.  As for the fans, they probably have more miles on them then you could imagine so they would go out too, right along with any hard-drives.

So, my two cents: save your money for something down the road that will actually do something for you, not this boat anchor.  But don't forget to pull the 1650 out and save it for further use down the road but everything else can go.

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I don't know if it would run 10 or 11 but who knows

Windows 7 machines can run Windows 10.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

The  Del Optiplex 790 was built as a business machine with a max of 16 gigs ram.  Designed with both Windows Vista and Windows 7 in mind it was a good machine in its day but today things are a vastly different.  Since it was designed for using Vista and 7, I don't know if it would run 10 or 11 but who knows, you can't find out if you don't try.

As for the machine itself, I honestly wouldn't put any money into it at all and would most likely scrounge it for parts such as the copper and aluminum heat sinks because I can make a few pennies for those at the recycler.  As for the fans, they probably have more miles on them then you could imagine so they would go out too, right along with any hard-drives.

So, my two cents: save your money for something down the road that will actually do something for you, not this boat anchor.  But don't forget to pull the 1650 out and save it for further use down the road but everything else can go.

They can I have worked with these older systems before. It sounds like they already have the system and as an experienced upgrader he can still get decent performance from that computer. Though for monetary reasons I have to agree upgrade to a 2700k is likely not economical.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Windows 7 machines can run Windows 10.

Since it was designed for using Vista and 7, I don't know if it would run 10 or 11 but who knows, you can't find out if you don't try

If you read my post, I never said it wouldn't.

i have 16 gigs unbuffered ram and the problem is in my graphics it runs windows 10 and has a 2018 bios update with new fan i bought it for 50 usd and put ddr3 4 gb unbuffered as it has 16 lanes for memory so i can distribute the loads better but I'm on the intel hd 3000 and want to put an ivy bridge 3rd gen i7 3770k wich uses 77 tdp compared to the 95 tdp. currently I'm running 1080 at 20-30 fps cause of the CPU bottleneck I'm asking if i can put in a gtx 1060 super with that upgrade cause i will use less power for more performance even overclocked at 4.6-4.9 ghz ill still pull 95 watts my ram dont really get hit at all most i have seen is 20 percent ussage

this is passmark 9.0 benchmark while running studio level yt music and 6 chrome tabs and razer coretex

intel comand.png

specs.png

disk speed.png

diskl speed.png

passmark 9.0.png

overall.png

cpu.png

2d graphic.png

3d graphic.png

memory.png

disk.png

On 2/2/2023 at 10:53 AM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! Okay what CPU do you currently have in the system? What upgrades or configuration options have you already implemented on your system? We are only dealing with a 12 year old 240 watt PSU so every watt counts. How far you can upgrade can be decided by as little as an SSD or HDD.

cpu:i5 2500 3.3Ghz 1 tb HDD 16gb unbuffered ram 4x4gb on 16 lanes im wanting to put a faster i7 3770k that uses less power and add dedicated gpu of 4+gb if possible so i can run better fps for American truck simulator i already have optimization software such as memory dumps for standby lists and razer cortex for closing background programs

On 2/2/2023 at 11:05 AM, kb5zue said:

Since it was designed for using Vista and 7, I don't know if it would run 10 or 11 but who knows, you can't find out if you don't try

If you read my post, I never said it wouldn't.

i was surprised when it accepted it and ran it with no issues i just had to add some disk space

19 minutes ago, TXOrhino14563 said:

cpu:i5 2500 3.3Ghz 1 tb HDD 16gb unbuffered ram 4x4gb on 16 lanes im wanting to put a faster i7 3770k that uses less power and add dedicated gpu of 4+gb if possible so i can run better fps for American truck simulator i already have optimization software such as memory dumps for standby lists and razer cortex for closing background programs

You probably can get away with this CPU with your GPU as long as you *don't add any more drives, though it may not worth it (for the CPU).  Also if you do plan to upgrade don't get a K sku, you are never going to OC it because you can't. If you have not already purchased the GPU the GPU will work.

*depending on how the PSU is setup you may also want to consider a powered USB hub as they may cause issues.

you'll only be able to use that CPU with a BIOS update

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

57 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

You probably can get away with this CPU with your GPU as long as you *don't add any more drives, though it may not worth it (for the CPU).  Also if you do plan to upgrade don't get a K sku, you are never going to OC it because you can't. If you have not already purchased the GPU the GPU will work.

*depending on how the PSU is setup you may also want to consider a powered USB hub as they may cause issues.

rn my i5 pulls 95 watts the i7 3770 pulls 77 with a higher clock base than my i5 plus the 4000 series intel graphics wouldnt that give me 23 watts from the cpu upgrade or am i mistaken like i said im new to this and i have 1 pcie x16 slot and from what i read it caps at 95 watts on this board the power difference is the only reason i want to upgrade processor is so i can have that extra power clearance ik i cant oc it in this board but im looking at the base clock rate and the power reserves i can gain for just a little more head room and dosent intel turbo clock the chip based on what you are requiring on the software and hardware setup cause my 3.3 has clocked 3.6 under heavy load according to msi afterburner monitor ik this is alot to read im just trying to figure out power management while gaining performance

this is info from newegg on the processor spcs

i5 2500.png

non k 3770.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 3:53 AM, TXOrhino14563 said:

rn my i5 pulls 95 watts the i7 3770 pulls 77 with a higher clock base than my i5 plus the 4000 series intel graphics wouldnt that give me 23 watts from the cpu upgrade or am i mistaken like i said im new to this and i have 1 pcie x16 slot and from what i read it caps at 95 watts on this board the power difference is the only reason i want to upgrade processor is so i can have that extra power clearance ik i cant oc it in this board but im looking at the base clock rate and the power reserves i can gain for just a little more head room and dosent intel turbo clock the chip based on what you are requiring on the software and hardware setup cause my 3.3 has clocked 3.6 under heavy load according to msi afterburner monitor ik this is alot to read im just trying to figure out power management while gaining performance

this is info from newegg on the processor spcs

i5 2500.png

non k 3770.png

Do note as these are computers for large corporations the CPUs are likely capped for wattage, my 2500 in my HP Compaq Elite 8200 is capped at 65 watts with no turbo.