Fixed Shaft Drivers

AJB_YT

So I was watching the "I Will MAKE it Fit!" Stream. and I was wondering instead of selling multiple different type of fixed shafts and handles. Why not make it modular so you get like 3 different size of shafts long, normal and short and you can just pop it into whatever handle you want. you could even go the extra mile and use interchangeable bits the same ones you guys have made. Now I don't understand the point of Fixed Shaft Drivers so maybe this ruins the whole idea but idk

You can make fairly compact exchangeable shaft drivers.

Although I bet they are fairly more complex, and significantly more expensive.

My trusty snap-on set has very nice interchangeable shafts, and the meme configurations have come in very handy at times.

You can buy even longer (1-3ft) shafts from snap-on that I have seen used effectively in stupid stupid locations....

The LTT screwdriver however does have a nicer feeling ratchet, and has found a nice place and common use in the toolbox

msdc.jpg

13 minutes ago, Sierra_X117 said:

You can make fairly compact exchangeable shaft drivers.

Although I bet they are fairly more complex, and significantly more expensive.

My trusty snap-on set has very nice interchangeable shafts, and the meme configurations have come in very handy at times.

You can buy even longer (1-3ft) shafts from snap-on that I have seen used effectively in stupid stupid locations....

The LTT screwdriver however does have a nicer feeling ratchet, and has found a nice place and common use in the toolbox

msdc.jpg

back when I used to work on aircraft, the 3 foot 1/4" extension attached to the screwdriver with the shaft into the other end was a god send.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

back when I used to work on aircraft, the 3 foot 1/4" extension attached to the screwdriver with the shaft into the other end was a god send.

I worked in automotive for years having a odd set of extensions and swivels or some weird ratchet was a life saver. I once had to get to a bolt on an abs sensor by going through the core support and bumper

Make the handles with an imbedded metal hex socket deep enough to handle the needed torque, maybe with an embedded magnet to retain the shaft. Then make interchangeable shafts with different tips and shaft diameters to match the tip size. Different length shaft could be made too.

The reason for fixed shaft screwdrivers is narrow and deep holes for screws and blocked access. They can also be more useful when higher torque is needed. If the handle has a deep hex socket for the shaft and a solid retention mechanism the interchangeable model would be much easier to store and use.

Pete