My setup

Budget (including currency): £3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming

Other details my setup has a Lenovo legion gaming laptop with 24 gb memory, a ryzen 7 and 2 tb ssd storage. My keyboard is the razor huntsman tournament edition and my mouse is the razor naga pro

I use an aoc 34 inch curved gaming monitor and a ps5 with pulse 3D headset and an extra controller, I also use a meta quest 2 and for story gameplay on my pc I use the xbox halo elite 2 controller 

my sound is a Logitech setup with a bass box and 2 extra speakers 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Things I would need to know to even have an opinion:

-how did you manage 24gb?

-what is the Rez of that monitor?

-do you need a laptop again or are you going desktop?

why I need to know:

The general rule for gaming laptops price/performance vs. desktop is double the price or add $usa1200 whichever is lower.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Are you just doing this post to show off your setup? If so this is the wrong format as well as sub forum to do it in. 

The format you have it in makes it look as though you are trying to upgrade or build a new PC, if that is not what you are trying to do in this post please let us know so we can have the post removed and you can correctly post it.

If you are trying to get help with a new build then this should be fine other than all of the pictures, they are unnecessary for new build planning.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

On 1/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Bombastinator said:

Things I would need to know to even have an opinion:

-how did you manage 24gb?

-what is the Rez of that monitor?

-do you need a laptop again or are you going desktop?

why I need to know:

The general rule for gaming laptops price/performance vs. desktop is double the price or add $usa1200 whichever is lower.

My laptop came with 8gb of ram and I added an additional 16gb of ram, total ram is 24gb 

my monitor is 34 inch Rez is 3440 x 1440, it’s 160 hz

my gaming laptop cost £1350 so I think it was worth it, I go to friends houses often so it’s great that I can use it for mobile gaming.

11 hours ago, Matthew pippet said:

My laptop came with 8gb of ram and I added an additional 16gb of ram, total ram is 24gb 

my monitor is 34 inch Rez is 3440 x 1440, it’s 160 hz

my gaming laptop cost £1350 so I think it was worth it, I go to friends houses often so it’s great that I can use it for mobile gaming.

Re: 24gb

A lot of computers will treat dissimilar sized amounts of memory as single channel producing a significant performance hit but some will treat the first 16gb as dual channel so you wouldn’t see it till you actually used that memory, which generally won’t happen for gaming.

Re: monitor:

So 3k of video monitor. Your machine may or may not be set up to accept it.  

The smallest desktop card I would want to try that with would be a 3070 or 6700xt. If it’s a laptop a 3080Ti.  If you’re using multiple screens it would be that plus whatever you’ve got for a laptop monitor though and your video card won’t be as powerful because it’s cooling will be laptop cooling and it will run at a much lower wattage. Equivelant sized cards are not the same as desktop versions when they are put in a laptop.  I can see a laptop that is capable of driving that desktop monitor alone as powerful enough to be as badass as a lower mid grade desktop rig when separated from it though. If building a desktop to fit that monitor you can do it for less than 3k.  The biggest single cost is going to be the graphics card.  Most 6 core CPUs could do it. A 3700x would be marginal but 12gen intel or zen3 could do it no problem (though caution would have to be used with a g series cpu.  Some of those have serious pcie video limits.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.