No D-RAM Settings in Bios? Any requirements that I am missing? Help

I Bought some corsair ram and it turns out its built for overclocking. However I can't overclock them in my bios because there is no xmp tab or button to enable the bios

and CPU-Z doesn' show xmp overclocking as an option.                                             It does Show that the ram sticks Are XMP 

image.png.bfda33e08e1324c783255cfaeed7b717.png image.png.96ef2503a0dcd8d064be638ae3c6d3fe.pngimage.png.01fe452aea8c89c37d863dd4cbe1edcd.png

This is my Cpu and Mainboard. 

image.png.5ec9351e48f4a9073560d96428baaad0.pngFNF6o2pmq3.png.35c1af6077522a0534b1608521decd27.png

As you can see above I have a intel B660 chipset which supports XMP and theres no option in my bios anywhere for it.

Thanks for your help - Jin

Also let me know if I should give up on ram with xmp and just buy new ones without it and where to get them.

26 minutes ago, Bugfrag-Jin said:

Also let me know if I should give up on ram with xmp and just buy new ones without it and where to get them.

3200 16-18-18-36 is pretty low end, nothing about them screams overclocking to me 🙂

I would look for some 3200C14-3600C14 on Newegg 👍

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

3200 16-18-18-36 is pretty low end, nothing about them screams overclocking to me 🙂

I would look for some 3200C14-3600C14 on Newegg 👍

Dammit Corsair and your Package BRANDING lol .

Thanks I look it up 

It sucks when the package says "Made for Overclocking" and it doesn't have it.

Also did you see all the screenshots? One of them says XMP on the SPD

30 minutes ago, Bugfrag-Jin said:

As you can see above I have a intel B660 chipset which supports XMP and theres no option in my bios anywhere for it.

That's not uncommon for OEM motherboards, there can sometimes be XMP settings, but a lot of times there isn't (HP is pretty known for that). 

If you've looked around in the BIOS and haven't found it, I'd assume that it's just not there. I will point out that ASUS does put XMP settings in a weird spot, at least on their consumer boards, so maybe look for a menu labeled something like "overclocking mode" and see if XMP settings are in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not present. OEM boards generally speaking are very locked down. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's not uncommon for OEM motherboards, there can sometimes be XMP settings, but a lot of times there isn't (HP is pretty known for that). 

If you've looked around in the BIOS and haven't found it, I'd assume that it's just not there. I will point out that ASUS does put XMP settings in a weird spot, at least on their consumer boards, so maybe look for a menu labeled something like "overclocking mode" and see if XMP settings are in there, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just not present. OEM boards generally speaking are very locked down. 

Alright so I need Ram that should NOT have XMP when I upgrade? Any ideas on what brand/type I should look for online?

Just now, Bugfrag-Jin said:

Alright so I need Ram that should NOT have XMP when I upgrade my ram? Any ideas on what brand/type I should look for online?

Generally the only RAM that doesn't have an XMP profile on it are the green PCB OEM sticks, and those are either super cheap or really expensive for whatever reason, plus you need to verify that they aren't ECC memory. 

Realistically I'd just keep that kit and run it at 2133MT/s. Yeah, it's not great for performance, but it's not quite as much worse compared to 3200 CL22 (the fastest JEDEC spec you can find on the aforementioned green PCB sticks), and not really worth the effort to sell/return your old kit and try and get a new one. 

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Generally the only RAM that doesn't have an XMP profile on it are the green PCB OEM sticks, and those are either super cheap or really expensive for whatever reason, plus you need to verify that they aren't ECC memory. 

Realistically I'd just keep that kit and run it at 2133MT/s. Yeah, it's not great for performance, but it's not quite as much worse compared to 3200 CL22 (the fastest JEDEC spec you can find on the aforementioned green PCB sticks), and not really worth the effort to sell/return your old kit and try and get a new one. 

Dang. I guess I am saving up for new Rig. Btw I lag in games that are memory intensive with the current Corsair sticks I have in currently which are in the screenshots. The OEM Ram that came with the rig is only 8 GB total BUT it runs better than the corsair sticks.  eg. In Valheim (and in other games) with the corsair sticks I have freeze frames at random points in the gameplay. With the OEM ram I do not have this issue. Is there any other reason why when I switch out the oem memory for the corsair I have this issue? I assumed it was because of the ram speed. But with what you just said that's obviously not the case?

4 minutes ago, Bugfrag-Jin said:

Dang. I guess I am saving up for new Rig. Btw I lag in games that are memory intensive with the current Corsair sticks I have in currently which are in the screenshots. The OEM Ram that came with the rig is only 8 GB total BUT it runs better than the corsair sticks.  eg. In Valheim (and in other games) with the corsair sticks I have freeze frames at random points in the gameplay. With the OEM ram I do not have this issue. Is there any other reason why when I switch out the oem memory for the corsair I have this issue?

That shouldn't really be what's happening. The only way 8GB could be faster would be if it was a early 2x4GB kit that has a lower JEDEC value for tRFC, which this system just won't have. I'd run a memory stress test to check to make sure that the RAM is actually stable, but odds are you'd have had a blue screen by now if it's a stability issue. 

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That shouldn't really be what's happening. The only way 8GB could be faster would be if it was a early 2x4GB kit that has a lower JEDEC value for tRFC, which this system just won't have. I'd run a memory stress test to check to make sure that the RAM is actually stable, but odds are you'd have had a blue screen by now if it's a stability issue. 

Could it be my GPU is not compatible with the Corsair ram? I'm grasping at straws here so forgive me if I am blatantly wrong. Here's my GPU in cpu-z and gpu-z anyway just incase.

image.png.a5f370c8ab8bc58aee30e9ae2a284724.pngimage.png.f0cdb6992068043d6d861bb901f4a93b.pngimage.png.3c6be8e00cfae775c2a31d80b93c9a84.png

EDIT: Also just realized my driver is out of date. Should of used GPU-z Sooner

EDIT #2: the driver was only out of date by 1 month but I did install that driver for Halo Infinite and those game ready drivers are infamous for breaking things.

Also updated to newest version

5 minutes ago, Bugfrag-Jin said:

Could it be my GPU is not compatible with the Corsair ram? I'm grasping at straws here so forgive me if I am blatantly wrong. Here's my GPU in cpu-z and gpu-z anyway just incase.

It really shouldn't affect anything, RAM for the most part is just RAM and doesn't have anything to do with the GPU. 

The two things I'd be doing would be to troubleshoot this would be to first run a memory stress test on that Corsair kit (TestMem5 is a big one, same with Memtest86), then if that passes run a couple RAM sensitive benchmarks on both configs to see if performance differences actually exist (Y-Cruncher, PYPrime, and 7-Zip are my go-to for these, they're very memory sensitive and available in Benchmate) and they aren't just a placebo. 

36 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It really shouldn't affect anything, RAM for the most part is just RAM and doesn't have anything to do with the GPU. 

The two things I'd be doing would be to troubleshoot this would be to first run a memory stress test on that Corsair kit (TestMem5 is a big one, same with Memtest86), then if that passes run a couple RAM sensitive benchmarks on both configs to see if performance differences actually exist (Y-Cruncher, PYPrime, and 7-Zip are my go-to for these, they're very memory sensitive and available in Benchmate) and they aren't just a placebo. 

Also did Testmem5 and no errors occoured

`========= TestMem5 Log File =========
Customize: Default @serj
Start testing at 18:42, 816Mb x12
Testing completed in 4m 45s, no errors.

Not sure what to make of these logs But in summary

7-zip: 54736 MIPS

PYprime: 13.871 seconds

y-cruncher 58.895 seconds

Also let me know If I ran these the wrong way or not so I can do the correct config

workload-7z-x64.exe-4232.log workload-PYPrime.exe-8876.log y-cruncher.exe-5264.log

30 minutes ago, Bugfrag-Jin said:

Also did Testmem5 and no errors occoured

`========= TestMem5 Log File =========
Customize: Default @serj
Start testing at 18:42, 816Mb x12
Testing completed in 4m 45s, no errors.

Not sure what to make of these logs But in summary

7-zip: 54736 MIPS

PYprime: 13.871 seconds

y-cruncher 58.895 seconds

Also let me know If I ran these the wrong way or not so I can do the correct config

workload-7z-x64.exe-4232.log 1.93 kB · 0 downloads workload-PYPrime.exe-8876.log 2.49 kB · 0 downloads y-cruncher.exe-5264.log 1.18 kB · 0 downloads

That PYPrime score does seem a bit high, but I've also only run it with higher clocked CPUs on 13th gen so my frame of reference is a bit off. 

The biggest value in running the benchmate tests is to compare it to the 8GB set to see if you're actually getting a performance decrease with the new set though, so by itself it is somewhat meaningless. If you can swap back to compare that would be where the important info comes from.

• 3 weeks later...

My problem is fixed One of the games I play. The lag in first game was network based my ping was going crazy. Oddly enough in the second game I wasn't experiencing difficulties when steam was in Offline mode. I don't know why that was the case but it happened. This nothing to do with my ram. Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the late reply. Thanks - Jin