Help connecting xbox controller to PC

messy

Hello!

I would like to be able to connect 4 or more wireless game controllers to a windows 10 or 11 PC so I can play multiplayer LAN games with mates.

I dont really care what brand, so long as it works. Itried recently with PS2 controllers and some random homebrew software that did some odd emulation stuff that nearly worked but ultimately didnt.

I read that xbox controllers will work with a microssoft wifi dongle, however I got a second hand xbox 360 version and Windows doesnt seem to recognise it correctly. Is it likley just broke or will 360 not work well with Widnows 11?

Basically, can anyone reccomend the cheapest way to achive wireless, 4 player LAN gaming via Windows and Steam?

Thanks! 馃槃

1 minute ago, messy said:

I read that xbox controllers will work with a microssoft wifi dongle, however I got a second hand xbox 360 version and Windows doesnt seem to recognise it correctly. Is it likley just broke or will 360 not work well with Widnows 11?

The Xbox One / Series S / Series X controllers all use one type of adapter. See this link. This adapter works fine, and will connect your 4 controllers to Windows without issue. I use this on multiple PCs in my house, and Steamlinks actually to play 4 player games all the time.

The Xbox 360 controllers use a different type of adapter. See this link. These adapters are harder to find now. Worse yet there are plenty of knock offs out there. Windows will install the drivers automatically on a true OEM Microsoft adapter. In my experience though the Chinese ones / and fakes, you have to manually (force it) to install the driver to make it work.

At this point, with Xbox 360 controllers getting hard to get, and parts not being made (not legitimate parts). I would recommend going with the newer style controllers that you can still get, and use that adapter.

19 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

The Xbox One / Series S / Series X controllers all use one type of adapter. See this link. This adapter works fine, and will connect your 4 controllers to Windows without issue. I use this on multiple PCs in my house, and Steamlinks actually to play 4 player games all the time.

The Xbox 360 controllers use a different type of adapter. See this link. These adapters are harder to find now. Worse yet there are plenty of knock offs out there. Windows will install the drivers automatically on a true OEM Microsoft adapter. In my experience though the Chinese ones / and fakes, you have to manually (force it) to install the driver to make it work.

At this point, with Xbox 360 controllers getting hard to get, and parts not being made (not legitimate parts). I would recommend going with the newer style controllers that you can still get, and use that adapter.

I already have the 360 adaptor and it looks pretty legit. How do i manually force it to install the driver? I ahve tried uninstalling the device, rebooting etc. Is the driver avaialble to download domewhere? Althought its supposed to be already in the OS sint it? 馃槥

4 hours ago, messy said:

I already have the 360 adaptor and it looks pretty legit. How do i manually force it to install the driver? I ahve tried uninstalling the device, rebooting etc. Is the driver avaialble to download domewhere? Althought its supposed to be already in the OS sint it? 馃槥

It would be tough to tell. IIRC, I have three true Microsoft adapters, and three fake ones. All my fake ones even say Microsoft. I forget what the other give away was other than the driver stopped being automatically installed at some point.聽 You can manually choose what driver, when you plug it in. Go to device manager, and choose update driver (I'm going from memory, I primarily use Linux), then choose the I'll select what drive to install? From there, you should be able to find the correct category with the the Xbox adapter in it, and install it.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:04 PM, OhioYJ said:

It would be tough to tell. IIRC, I have three true Microsoft adapters, and three fake ones. All my fake ones even say Microsoft. I forget what the other give away was other than the driver stopped being automatically installed at some point.聽 You can manually choose what driver, when you plug it in. Go to device manager, and choose update driver (I'm going from memory, I primarily use Linux), then choose the I'll select what drive to install? From there, you should be able to find the correct category with the the Xbox adapter in it, and install it.

thanks! i installed it manually and it didnt work 馃槥

Looks like im going to ahve to go for the xbox 1 solution and save up for the needed 拢250 :/