Multi GPU making PC feel laggy

harrytwhite04
Go to solution Solved by harrytwhite04,

Alright I have now realised how dumb I am, but I probably wouldn't have been able to realise without @Mel0n.so thank you

I had wallpaper engine open so I had a constantly moving wallpaper on both monitors used by my 1030, as soon as I closed wallpaper engine so I had a static wallpaper it was completely fine and usage dropped down to 0%

🤦‍♂️

Hey all,

I recently added a GT 1030 to my build (5950x, 3070ti) in order to get a few more monitor outputs as I needed more than 4. However since I've done that my PC has felt noticeably slower with things like Windows animations, games getting lower fps, moving windows around seems to be more laggy, etc.

I've also noticed that the 1030 is constantly at around 50% usage which lines up with Desktop Window Manager

image.png.1495aa273f9f1b10c17e2d217a836f72.png

image.png.5eb06f5dc0a1dd2323c2dfb412d06311.png

I was just wondering if there was any way to make things feel a bit smoother or if I was doing anything wrong which would be causing this slow down?

Thanks!

I'm running a setup very similar in computational power

image.png.2bea85131acb53fb1fe22fe574319374.png

My K620 runs two displays, one basically just has text on it all the time and the other is off 90% of the time. The A4500 drives all my displays that show video, images, CAD, games, all that good stuff.

Find what displays you use the least and put those on the 1030. Make sure your main monitor is at its max refresh rate. Check that hardware acceleration is disabled for Discord - it eats GPU performance and there's really no noticeable difference with it on vs off. Also make sure hardware acceleration is enabled for Windows.

Is it only when dragging things between monitors that it feels slow, or it is always?

15 hours ago, Mel0n. said:

I'm running a setup very similar in computational power

image.png.2bea85131acb53fb1fe22fe574319374.png

My K620 runs two displays, one basically just has text on it all the time and the other is off 90% of the time. The A4500 drives all my displays that show video, images, CAD, games, all that good stuff.

Find what displays you use the least and put those on the 1030. Make sure your main monitor is at its max refresh rate. Check that hardware acceleration is disabled for Discord - it eats GPU performance and there's really no noticeable difference with it on vs off. Also make sure hardware acceleration is enabled for Windows.

Is it only when dragging things between monitors that it feels slow, or it is always?

Thank you for the tips, it's laggy all the time, even if I'm just pressing the start menu on my main monitor which is connected to my 3070ti, it's noticeably less smooth

Alright I have now realised how dumb I am, but I probably wouldn't have been able to realise without @Mel0n.so thank you

I had wallpaper engine open so I had a constantly moving wallpaper on both monitors used by my 1030, as soon as I closed wallpaper engine so I had a static wallpaper it was completely fine and usage dropped down to 0%

🤦‍♂️