First time build

Go to solution Solved by NewCompGuy,
15 minutes ago, tddk25 said:

My setup's specs look like a good fit for you. Do you want me to send you a PCPartPicker link of the spec sheet?

Yes please.

Budget (including currency): 1000-1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly indie games, but i want to be able to play games like Forza as well 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have currently have no parts or experience building a pc but I'm excited to begin! I'm going to be playing on my television most likely, and I would like to buy my parts over the next few months and build it over time.

What TV do you have and what indie games are you planning on playing?

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

TV is a Hisense 4k 50 inch.As far as games go Graveyard keeper, Stardew, I'm also interested in playing games from the game jam next year. But I also want to able to run Forza, Minecraft, and other more intensive titles. But I'm not terribly worried about 60 fps, all the time.

Do you care if you're running at 4k, 2k, hd? And do you plan on purchasing a monitor with a higher refresh rate? If you plan on gaming at 4k with Forza just your GPU will be about $700-$800 and your CPU will be around $400.

I'm fine with hd or 2k and I dont have plans to buy a monitor. I mostly just want to play a bit when I get home and unwind and watch youtube and whatnot. 

I would urge you to watch, in stages, Linus Tech Tips' building guide videos that apply to your desires. Here's the playlist. Some of them are pretty long. Too many to choose from? Then try this one (long).

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

My setup's specs look like a good fit for you. Do you want me to send you a PCPartPicker link of the spec sheet?

15 minutes ago, tddk25 said:

Yes please.

18 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I would urge you to watch, in stages, Linus Tech Tips' building guide videos that apply to your desires. Here's the playlist. Some of them are pretty long. Too many to choose from? Then try this one 

I'll check it out, thank you!

Here's the list of parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bvtzcb  I tweaked some things because prices changed so it's a little better than my setup. You may need to update the motherboard's BIOS using the BIOS Flashback feature before you can boot into it.

1 hour ago, tddk25 said:

Here's the list of parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bvtzcb  I tweaked some things because prices changed so it's a little better than my setup. You may need to update the motherboard's BIOS using the BIOS Flashback feature before you can boot into it.

you're really pairing a 6650XT with a garbage, low-wattage PSU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 hours ago, NewCompGuy said:

I would like to buy my parts over the next few months and build it over time.

Wait until you have enough money for the entire rig, then ask again and buy everything at once. Whatever planning you do now will be irrelevant by then.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

43 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

you're really pairing a 6650XT with a garbage, low-wattage PSU?

Oop pcpartpicker lied to me 😄 

42 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

I would like to buy my parts over the next few months and build it over time.

Good idea.

On 1/27/2023 at 6:44 PM, NewCompGuy said:

Budget (including currency): 1000-1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly indie games, but i want to be able to play games like Forza as well 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have currently have no parts or experience building a pc but I'm excited to begin! I'm going to be playing on my television most likely, and I would like to buy my parts over the next few months and build it over time.

To add to McPootis's suggestion, if you buy parts over months and something only has a very short return window but you can't test it until you eventually buy the parts needed, you may get something bad and struggle to get a replacement.  However, given your budget, and assuming you will buy quality products,  I think the savings you will get by buying when something is on sale is more likely than the risk of a dud.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂