First build (ITX)

Oakleytallman

Budget (including currency): 1200$ USD Im okay going 100-200 over if need be.

Country: USA/Canada(I live in an rv and have dual citizenship)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly first person shooters and roguelikes,

Im almost always in discord calls with friends and listening to Spotify, so running 3-6 applications at a time.

also digital art on a 1440p drawing monitor (xp pen artist pro 24)

Video editing/streaming (this I always do on its own currently, it would be nice to change that to being able to multitask a little)

Other details

Because I have some pretty heavy space constraints (my desk is 33in 15in - 17in hight. (84cm x 38cm - 43cm hight))

and because I need to beable to move it occasionally for safety when moving,

Im going with an ITX build even though it's my first time building a pc,

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vLVPqm

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  

CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Rev.B 48 CFM CPU Cooler 

Motherboard: ASRock H670M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  

Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Edge OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB Video Card  

Case: SSUPD Meshlicious Mini ITX Tower Case

Power Supply: Cooler Master V650 SFX GOLD 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  

Case Fan: Noctua A15 PWM 140 mm 
Case Fan: Noctua A15 PWM 140 mm 

Total: $1147.78

(I'm most concerned about internal  space constraints and cooling due to my lack of experience I'm not sure if about water cooling being a good option) I also have zero care what it looks like color matching ect, and only care about price to performance.

(The image below is the desk I have with what I currently use. I plan to remove the monitors asap cause it's VERY beat up. And have a my drawing monitor on the lower section, and later a regular monitor on the top.)9934E98D-0597-483D-91B7-CAD0C1A93C29.thumb.jpeg.aecd7a9719ee71f4f41f8b164b98c1a9.jpeg

You need to post the permalink, that's just a link to the main PCPartPicker page. Permalink is at the top left corner of the build list. Or you can click the "T" option over to the right and post the whole build list so people don't have to follow the link to get a quick overview. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I do need to ask. How is ventilation in that room? Because from what I can see currently there is some older acer machine there with presumably lower end and decently efficient hardware.

A gaming desktop will output many times the amount of heat and a small space like that can be heated up in no time what so ever.

21 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

You need to post the permalink, that's just a link to the main PCPartPicker page. Permalink is at the top left corner of the build list. Or you can click the "T" option over to the right and post the whole build list so people don't have to follow the link to get a quick overview. 

Oh whoops, should work now thank you

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I do need to ask. How is ventilation in that room? Because from what I can see currently there is some older acer machine there with presumably lower end and decently efficient hardware.

A gaming desktop will output many times the amount of heat and a small space like that can be heated up in no time what so ever.

Theres a fan that vents heat from the room very efficiently, I've had my room get to 105-110 degrees and been able to lower it to 68-70 in about three minutes so I have no doubt I can handle a pc

Just now, Oakleytallman said:

Oh whoops, should work now thank you

It does, but the list is set to private so I still can't see it :old-laugh:. They don't make it terribly clear when sharing the link. 

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

^^^ Also this. I'm... admittedly on the more extreme end of power draw, but my PC will noticeably (and uncomfortably if it's hot out) heat my entire lounge/kitchen area. Though the hardware you'll be getting new with a $1200 budget shouldn't be putting out that much heat, so it's only a concern if your space already gets uncomfortably hot with just the laptop. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

9 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

It does, but the list is set to private so I still can't see it :old-laugh:. They don't make it terribly clear when sharing the link. 

^^^ Also this. I'm... admittedly on the more extreme end of power draw, but my PC will noticeably (and uncomfortably if it's hot out) heat my entire lounge/kitchen area. Though the hardware you'll be getting new with a $1200 budget shouldn't be putting out that much heat, so it's only a concern if your space already gets uncomfortably hot with just the laptop. 

I think I got it this time 😅

5 minutes ago, Oakleytallman said:

I think I got it this time 😅

Yep! Looks pretty solid. Only a couple changes I'd suggest: 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FjNHgb

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.97 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3 Rev.B 48 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock H670M-ITX/ax Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($64.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($66.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Edge OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB Video Card  ($409.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: SSUPD Meshlicious Mini ITX Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM650 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua A15 PWM 140 mm Fan  ($23.94 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua A15 PWM 140 mm Fan  ($23.94 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1159.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-25 17:55 EST-0500

• RAM from 16GB -> 32GB because it's an ~$8 increase for twice the capacity at the same speed/timings
  • Storage -> Crucial P3 Plus. It's an okay drive, vs the Kingston which is just as cheap as absolutely possible, not something that seems good as an only/boot drive. A P5 Plus is even better but around $80. 
  • PSU -> move to an ATX unit as the case supports them, brings the build price back down a bit as you can get them cheaper than SFX units. 

The A15s are an odd choice for case fan, but they are extremely quiet if that's what you were wanting them for. Noctua's NF-A12x25s would be slightly more and out-perform everything else they make in most tasks though. Another note, if you plan to do more creative work aside from the drawing, it could be worth shelling out for the non-F version of that CPU, as Intel QuickSync - which requires an iGPU - can be wickedly fast in some applications (mostly the adobe suite, especially in Premiere Pro). 

Main PC