Making Safe 24v Rails

Daftlander
Go to solution Solved by ImorallySourcedElectrons,
26 minutes ago, Daftlander said:

Ah! I totally forgot about WAGO. I think I even have a bag of them around. 

They're stealthy little Germans! xD 

Hi, 

I'm looking to power 6 stepper motors from a standard 24v power supply, the sort that get used in RepRap printers all the time.

Is there a safe, permanent way to make rails other than wiring it up to a breadboard and hoping? It's going to a project that I want to be able to move around and needs to be pretty stable in use. 

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Daftlander said:

permanent

4 minutes ago, Daftlander said:

breadboard

i'm pretty sure these two are by definition mutually exclusive.

something i've done in the past for projects where i have devices that plug into vareous voltage rails that i might want to plug in and unplug, is just get those prototyping boards with 'lines' of traces, and wire all the voltage rails to them in order, and then just solder a line of molex KK headers (known in the PC world as fan headers) on them, so each hader has each rail the device may need.

but for stepper motors drivers you may want something more beefy than KK headers.

having that said.. you dont power stepper motors with 24V, you power the driver, and the driver has an interface to the stepper motor. there's plenty of stepper motor driver boards out there, you just wire the power supply to the board, wire the board to your stepper motors, and done.

• 2 weeks later...

Something like this? combined with ferrules.

71181-weidmuller-wdu6-terminal-block-strip-72-blocks-din-rail-mount-4-3063735945.jpg

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 1/31/2023 at 10:15 AM, ImorallySourcedElectrons said:

I'm with @Takumidesh on this one, properly terminate them and use Wago or Phoenix terminal blocks. Be sure to check the current ratings though, not all are suitable for all types of motor.

Ah! I totally forgot about WAGO. I think I even have a bag of them around. 

I don't know why but I got this into my head that it needed to be a perfboard project. Thanks for the help guys.

You can also get combs/bus bars for DIN terminals and make up a big block of terminals for your power without having to make little loops.

Can also get fuse holders to suit which can be good if needing to isolate an overcurrent fault to one terminal.

Another option is power distribution board usually with screw terminals and polyswitch or fuse protection.

We use both methods.

image.png.88afc70a915a20e1687c081f56c1318e.png

image.png.48879e56f31d0063d668beef3b3eccec.png

On 2/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, artuc said:

You can also get combs/bus bars for DIN terminals and make up a big block of terminals for your power without having to make little loops.

Can also get fuse holders to suit which can be good if needing to isolate an overcurrent fault to one terminal.

Another option is power distribution board usually with screw terminals and polyswitch or fuse protection.

Also very useful thanks.