Internet connection resets

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
58 minutes ago, FutureFlow said:

There are specific sites (major one is where I go to pay one of my bills) that result in connection reset errors on both Chrome and Firefox.

Sounds to me like these sites are sending NordVPN IP addresses to a blackhole.

I can access them from my Macbook (Safari and Chrome) but not here on my PC.

Are you using iCloud Private Relay? If you are, try disabling it to see if you experience the same issue as your PC.

Hi LTT community!

I feel like I have reached the peak of my knowledge of trying to figure out why some sites I try to access just won't connect. There are specific sites (major one is where I go to pay one of my bills) that result in connection reset errors on both Chrome and Firefox. I can access them from my Macbook (Safari and Chrome) but not here on my PC. I tried releasing/renewing my IP, flushing the DNS, and manually applying public DNS servers multiple times - Nada. I've even tried flushing Chrome's host cache and clearing bad proxies. I haven't touched sockets or DSPs in Chrome yet, though. I did mess with Firewall settings for a Diablo walk a while ago but I restored the settings to default. Since I run NordVPN on both machines, I don't suspect it to be the culprit. But if it does, here's some insight: My active networks consist of my home private network connected via ethernet and NordLynx2 public network connected via the NordLynx protocol. Neither networks are connected to IPv6, just 4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

An aside: I've also recently been having issues with chatGPT where I can input my text but "an error occurred" is returned via the chat, not sure if the two are related as this just started happening on this machine. Works on my phone and laptop, though. Would be nice to get that back up, too :)

There are specific sites (major one is where I go to pay one of my bills) that result in connection reset errors on both Chrome and Firefox.

Sounds to me like these sites are sending NordVPN IP addresses to a blackhole.

I can access them from my Macbook (Safari and Chrome) but not here on my PC.

Are you using iCloud Private Relay? If you are, try disabling it to see if you experience the same issue as your PC.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

First time I've heard of a blackhole so I did a bit of reading and discovered there was an issue with the protocol. I never thought to change it since I obviously tried turning off the VPN and I still had the issue. So, I switched it to OpenVPN(TCP) and wow... it works. It even fixed the chatGPT issue. I feel stupid and relieved haha. Thanks @PorkishPig!