Using an DP-to-USB-C adapter to allow a desktop GPU with DisplayPort 1.4 port to connect to a USB-C portable monitor?

CB27044
Go to solution Solved by CB27044,

Just to update --- using a bidirectional DP to USB-C adapter worked perfectly for my use case (video card to USB-C monitor).

I purchased this one from Amazon.ca.  Did the trick - was able to use one of the DP 1.4 ports on my EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming graphics card and connect it to a USB-C monitor.  The monitor was detected immediately and worked perfectly as an additional display

If, by chance, anyone else out there has the same challenge - hope this info helps!

Hi All,

First post, apologies if this is in the wrong forum --- I have a bit of a potentially odd display configuration and looking for help to determine if this configuration might work or if I have it totally wrong.  Trying to validate before I pull the trigger on a monitor purchase and must admit that I am quite confused by the whole physical connector vs. protocol part of USB-C. 

I'm looking to get a USB-C portable monitor such as the Dell 14 Portable Monitor - C1422H to use with my work laptop (IBM ThinkPad T14 Gen 2i) when I am on the road.  I know that the laptop will work with this USB-C monitor as I use a large monitor connected via USB-C when I am at the office.

In order to justify the purchase to myself, I am also wondering if I might be able to use the portable monitor with my desktop when I am at home as an additional monitor as well (unfortunately it looks like most of these portable monitors are strictly USB-C with no legacy HDMI or DisplayPort connections) --- the problem is that my desktop that I'd want to use at home is quite old and doesn't have any USB-C ports, however it does have an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming card with 2 x DisplayPort 1.4 ports.

These adapters look like they're designed to work the other way round (IE: connecting a PC with USB-C port to a monitor with DisplayPort connection) --- does anyone know if this likely to work in the opposite direction (IE: to adapt a DisplayPort connection on my video card to a USB-C port on the monitor)?  Thinking that this will not work, but want to ask for help to confirm.

Example of such adapter from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070/

If this won't work - does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to the Dell 14 Portable Monitor - C1422H that might also have some legacy ports for power and HDMI or DisplayPort?

May have just answered my own question with some additional Amazon searches.  The cable linked above doesn't appear to be bidirectional, but I found another one (https://www.amazon.ca/DisplayPort-CableCreation-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B08BY78C42) that specifically indicates that it *is* bidirectional and can use the DP end on a PC as a "source" and a USB-C connected monitor.  Hmmm.  Might give this a shot...

14 minutes ago, circeseye said:

i found this
https://www.delock.com/produkt/63928/merkmale.html

and this

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Bidirectional-Type-C-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B084HP1DZY

theres a lot of usb c to dp. but i dont think they will work dp to usb c unless they say they are bidirectional

Thanks @circeseye.  Should have done some more searching before posting.

Thinking a cable specifically marked as "bidirectional" should work, but just thought of another potential issue.  Most of these portable monitors have two USB-C ports with power pass-through --- two ports are good since I'll need to provide power to the monitor since I doubt that the DisplayPort does this.  I have a spare power adapter with a USB-C cable that will power the monitor, the only thing I am wondering if these "bidirectional" cables would somehow pass-through the power back to the video card (DP connector).  Think this is my last question to answer before I give it a try --- I would hate to fry the desktop or video card.

...back to the Google internet machine to search for someone that may have actually done such a strange configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update --- using a bidirectional DP to USB-C adapter worked perfectly for my use case (video card to USB-C monitor).

I purchased this one from Amazon.ca.  Did the trick - was able to use one of the DP 1.4 ports on my EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC Gaming graphics card and connect it to a USB-C monitor.  The monitor was detected immediately and worked perfectly as an additional display

If, by chance, anyone else out there has the same challenge - hope this info helps!

• 4 months later...

Is there a way with either a cable or an adapter can push signal and power to a portable monitor while using only one cable? I recently upgraded my Asus strix 2080super that had a usb-c port to an Asus strix 4070 ti that does not. I like the ascetics of just one cable. I'm looking for: source hdmi 2.1 or dp 1.4 to input usb-c. Is there anything out there that will supply both?