Got a weird display behaviour

Hi everyone

I bought a new 3440x1440 display and I'm having some issues.

First off, my GPU, a 980TI, doesn't always deliver a picture at boot. It just doesn't wake up. I have to try several times before I get a picture. I've gotten used to that.

My main OS is/was kubuntu but I have a windows partition on another drive, too.

Now what happened when I attached the new monitor: Even when the GPU wakes up, I cannot boot into kubuntu. I see kernel messages but the moment KDE is supposed to pop up, the display remains dark.

I got it to work once but I  am unsure whether I actually bootet into linux that time on the new monitor or whether I swapped when the OS was already up.

I noticed too that I do not get a picture when booting from USB stick. Neither SystemRescue, which is Linux, nor a Windows installer stick will give me a picture.

Again, please note that I keep resetting until I see a BIOS splash screen and until I see the boot menu I go into hitting F11. The GPU has waken up at that point.

So my question is has anyone experienced GPUs, especially older ones, having trouble with 3440x1440 resolutions? It feels like a problem with loading a driver or something.

I should note that the PC is in another room and the DP cable is somewhere between 7 and 10 meters long. I thought maybe that's too much for the necessary bandwidth, but again the windows that is already installed seems to have absolutely no issue displaying at 3440x1440x75Hz.

You may be hitting a limit on the amount of pixels the 900 series cards can drive, though doesn't sound entirely right to me, so maybe it's something else.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

You may be hitting a limit on the amount of pixels the 900 series cards can drive, though doesn't sound entirely right to me, so maybe it's something else.

Well, the card IS driving the pixels, though. It did so in Linux once and it keeps happily doing it in an already installed windows.