Galaxy Note8 fast charging question?

prayshadow

Hi guys, I have a Note8 that I use for business and I've recently noted it charges very slowly.  The battery is original to the phone so I'm quite sure its capacity is not what it used to be, but would that affect its charging rate?  As far as what I've read, the phone is capable of charging up to 15w (QC 2.0) but in my experience with 5 or 6 different chargers, it won't charge beyond anything more than about 6w.  I have multiple chargers from Apple (20w), Anker and UGreen and not one of them is able to exceed about 6w.  The small Anker chargers I have are the 18w version that can do 9v as well as a couple PD 65w chargers from Anker.  The UGreen charger I have is also a PD 65w charger.  None of these chargers will charge the Note8 at anything more than 5v; none of them will switch to 9v after a few seconds like they do with my newer devices.  I'm baffled, since most of the chargers I have tried with it are QC 2.0, QC 3.0, etc. certified, or at least they list QC compatibility in their documentation.

The only charger I have that will charge it at anything more than that 6w is a Samsung adaptive charger that WILL switch to 9v after a few seconds (but really holds more like 8.80v) and even that will not exceed about 11w maximum.

Is the Note8 just that picky?  If there's nothing I can do about it I will probably end up having to spend the money to replace the device since the charging time of 2-3 hours is really hurting my work flow. 😞

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you think replacing the battery ($25) would make a difference?

On 1/8/2023 at 3:29 AM, prayshadow said:

Hi guys, I have a Note8 that I use for business and I've recently noted it charges very slowly.  The battery is original to the phone so I'm quite sure its capacity is not what it used to be, but would that affect its charging rate?  As far as what I've read, the phone is capable of charging up to 15w (QC 2.0) but in my experience with 5 or 6 different chargers, it won't charge beyond anything more than about 6w.  I have multiple chargers from Apple (20w), Anker and UGreen and not one of them is able to exceed about 6w.  The small Anker chargers I have are the 18w version that can do 9v as well as a couple PD 65w chargers from Anker.  The UGreen charger I have is also a PD 65w charger.  None of these chargers will charge the Note8 at anything more than 5v; none of them will switch to 9v after a few seconds like they do with my newer devices.  I'm baffled, since most of the chargers I have tried with it are QC 2.0, QC 3.0, etc. certified, or at least they list QC compatibility in their documentation.

The only charger I have that will charge it at anything more than that 6w is a Samsung adaptive charger that WILL switch to 9v after a few seconds (but really holds more like 8.80v) and even that will not exceed about 11w maximum.

Is the Note8 just that picky?  If there's nothing I can do about it I will probably end up having to spend the money to replace the device since the charging time of 2-3 hours is really hurting my work flow. 😞

Thanks in advance for any help.

Do you think replacing the battery ($25) would make a difference?

try checking the charging port is it dirty since it's one of the most common thing to happen to phone after using it for many years, if thats not the case chance are the power management inside the phone is broken and preventing it from charging properly. i'm not sure if changing the battery will fix the problem, there are possibilities that samsung limit charging speed when battery is on poor condition, not that i found anything or experience anything like that but it probably the last resort.

• 2 weeks later...

the phones are pretty smart. 

if the battery is degraded (if its original it IS) it does a number of things to keep the battery within certain parameters.

Something in the charge port could ALSO cause fast charging to not work, and that is a super common cause (shouldnt affect wireless fast charging if N8 supports that)

Or the fast charging setting could be turned off in the settings (I think thats under device health, battery, top right corner settings. I retired my N9 so I cant check directly)

when I ran some stores in the mid US we could do the battery swaps on samsung phones in less than 2 hours depending on volume of interactions. so if you want to keep using that phone and the battery/fast charge is the only thing holding you back I would recommend checking the repair option out.