SSD upgrade

asimrc

Hi guys

I currently have an Intel SSD 160g and have a 500g HDD.

Running windows and a few games titles on the SSD.

Personal documents, music and videos on the HDD.

The HDD is fine consistantly have 120gig of space free as i delete any videos that i have watched.

But the SSD seems to run out fo space i have to keep deleting older games to be able to play newer titles.

So i was thinking of getting a new SSD. Just wanted suggestions on what size, brand, spec should i go with. Budget $350(US or Canadian, Im from Australia the exchange rate is okay at the moment)

SSD will hold Windows 7 Pro, Fary Cry 3, Crysis, F1 2012, Flight Simulator, Grid, Off Road Drive, BattleField, COD, Dirt 3 and possibly a few more titles.

SO you think 256gb will be enough

You're not going to get a high-performance 480/512GB drive for $350.

You're not going to get a high-performance 480/512GB drive for $350.

Pretty much what Reuben said, the 256GB 840 Pro is the "best" (please note the quotation marks) SSD on the market at the moment. The higher capacity drives are between $400 - 550 so here's the link to the 512GB 840 PRO which is $499

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_909&products_id=22462

ever thought of going RAID 0? you already said you keep personal on the HD so, RAID 0 you can use your intel drive still

Go to techbargains.com I usually see Samsung 840 pros 500gb go on sale there. :) 
I got a 256 and a 128 formyself and my sister there once. 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

hang on, it has to be a store that ships international or domestic store so do either of those links work for shipping to/in Australia?

can you buy from their website?

Apparently not. Weird! 

NCIX has weekly special 256GB $214.99 

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77219&vpn=MZ-7PD256BW&manufacture=Samsung%20Memory%20%26%20Storage&promoid=1202

hang on, it has to be a store that ships international or domestic store so do either of those links work for shipping to/in Australia?

yes NCIX ships international :)

NCIX also price matches :)

ncix ships "certain" items international?. whether or not they'll ship it or not. also international warranty headaches.....

ncix ships "certain" items international?. whether or not they'll ship it or not. also international warranty headaches.....

They ship the 840 pro international. I did not even think about the warranty. :)

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys

What Hybrid drive should i get say 1TB

Thanks guys

What Hybrid drive should i get say 1TB

Seagate Hybrid drives seems to be pretty good imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hi guys

I currently have an Intel SSD 160g and have a 500g HDD.

Running windows and a few games titles on the SSD.

Personal documents, music and videos on the HDD.

The HDD is fine consistantly have 120gig of space free as i delete any videos that i have watched.

But the SSD seems to run out fo space i have to keep deleting older games to be able to play newer titles.

So i was thinking of getting a new SSD. Just wanted suggestions on what size, brand, spec should i go with. Budget $350(US or Canadian, Im from Australia the exchange rate is okay at the moment)

SSD will hold Windows 7 Pro, Fary Cry 3, Crysis, F1 2012, Flight Simulator, Grid, Off Road Drive, BattleField, COD, Dirt 3 and possibly a few more titles.

You can get a 500GB Samsung EVO

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE500BW/dp/B00E3W19MO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382673249&sr=8-2&keywords=840+evo

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads