Windows not communicating with local network shared printer

rexy2346
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Did the old PC have a static IP address set?

If your modem is your DHCP server, the new one could be spitting out a different subnet than the old one. (For example, your new router is giving everyone a 10.x.x.x/24 address, but the old one was 192.168.x.x/24.) If that's the case, you'll have to change the address on the printer host. Make sure the new address is outside your normal DHCP scope.

Hello all,

I work in IT for my job (for legal reasons I cannot name the company and prefer to have a little privacy) and I have had one thing that has been troubling me for a while now. We have one of our systems that used to be a host computer for a standard printer. Ever since we have upgraded our modem for faster internet speed, the host computer will no longer communicate with any other computer in the local network to print from that printer. I have since moved the printer to another system and all computers will print to that one (even the old host can). But if I move it back to the old host, none of the other computers will print to it. I have tried to go through the control panel > Devices & Printers > Add printer > and add it through the host name (ex: \\desktop1\printer) but that gives an error code 0x000004f1 (I believe). I have all the most up to date drivers and settings set properly (like I do in the other systems) but it just will not connect. I love this forum and how helpful it is so I'm hoping I can get more help again. Thank you in advanced 馃檪

Did the old PC have a static IP address set?

If your modem is your DHCP server, the new one could be spitting out a different subnet than the old one. (For example, your new router is giving everyone a 10.x.x.x/24 address, but the old one was 192.168.x.x/24.) If that's the case, you'll have to change the address on the printer host. Make sure the new address is outside your normal DHCP scope.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

The old PC does not have a static but we do have a standalone DHCP server besides the modem. I have set the subnet to the same as it was before the upgrade. I'll double check to make sure I have entered those correctly though, that's where I was thinking the issue might lay as well. Is there any specifics I need to look out for with us having a separate DCHP server and modem?

When you browse the contents of ex \\computer1 does it show the printer? Then you should have a network connection.

When you double click the printer then what is the exact error message?

What operating system do you use on the old computer and what is the patch level? Microsoft last year drove me crazy with network printer servers that to no work anymore after an update.

Do you use a Active Directory to authenticate to the computers or to use anonymous access?

Wenn you use a separate server as DHCP server the modems DHCP server should be disabled.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I visited that location this weekend and the issue was some DCHP Server settings giving an error that was happening in our DHCP Server聽馃檪